Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SSOD

Jabberwocky or Karate Monkey

Been debating on converting my WUSS to 650b or going with a rigid 29er build for this winter and thinking the 29er route is probably the way to go. The two frames I am thinking about are Vassago Jabberwocky and the Surly Karate Monkey. Only 29er I have ridden has been the Fisher Superfly and like the geometry of it at the time.

Gonna spend most of the time riding xc single track with moderate rock/ roots.

Which would you chose?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosstown Stew
    Been debating on converting my WUSS to 650b or going with a rigid 29er build for this winter and thinking the 29er route is probably the way to go. The two frames I am thinking about are Vassago Jabberwocky and the Surly Karate Monkey. Only 29er I have ridden has been the Fisher Superfly and like the geometry of it at the time.

Gonna spend most of the time riding xc single track with moderate rock/ roots.

Which would you chose?
    Jabber + ODIS + Big Tubeless tires @ low pressure ... for teh win.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Well, I'd say 650b because that is what I like to ride. I thought the KM was pretty money, but the fork is fairly unforgiving..

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Jabberwocky, the geometry is better than the karatemonkey. I test rode both and the karatemonkey had the riding on top feel to it. The jabberwocky feels more responsive and doesn't feel like you are going to tip over like the karatemonkey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorgan29er
    Jabberwocky, the geometry is better than the karatemonkey. I test rode both and the karatemonkey had the riding on top feel to it. The jabberwocky feels more responsive and doesn't feel like you are going to tip over like the karatemonkey.
    You have obviously been assimilated by the JabberBorg. Me too ... I just haven't changed my avatar yet.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    I just went through this debate. I chose the Jabber because the geometry seemed better and the KM has mixed reviews (love it or hate it), whilst I did not see one negative review of the Jabber. Everyone who has one seem to like them, the only reoccuring criticism seems to be that they are more difficult to loft the front end.

I am still building mine up.

You should get the Jabber because there are already too many pictures of KMs on the interwebs and not enough jabber builds.

Apr 2007
    IMO, the only advantage KM has over the Jabber is the versatility. SS, 1x9, 3x9, are all easier to set up with the KM. But if you're going to stay SS, I'd get the Jabber. Another frame to consider is Qball.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker
    You should get the Jabber because there are already too many pictures of KMs on the interwebs and not enough jabber builds.
    In the last year or two it seems nearly every new steel SS 29er on mtbr is a Jabber. These things are multiplying like rabbits! If you want to fight trends and stay off of bandwagons the Jabber certainly isn't the bike for you

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Jabber cause I have one for sale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Jab b/c its awesome.

mtbr member
    You can't go wrong either way! I own a Monkey but haven't ridden a Jabber. I like the Monkey's short chain stays. It seems at home in the tight twisty stuff. In fact I prefer it to my GF Ferrous. Ride both if you can, even if you have to post in your local forum to find an owner that will let you ride theirs. Good luck and have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    surly 1x1 with 29ers?
    9er with 16.5" chainstays for the win!
    (i kid, it also has a VERY tall bb so unless you're doing forest work the bb height is too high)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Well you know I've got to confuse the issue and throw in the Singular Swift. Framesets on sale right now for $525.
    I have a KM and I love it. It is very nimble; "go-cart" handling.
    But I like the built in tensioners of the Vassago, so if I were to do it again, I'd take a serious look at that (instead of the KM).

mtbr member
    Of those two I would choose the new 2011 version of the Karate Monkey.

SSOD
    Some good comments guys but to throw one more in there, my local shop's got me testing a SIR tomorrow so will see how that goes but can't say I'm too excited about the ebb setup, been on my Bianchi with horizontals for a while and just use to that system. Plus I've heard the niner ebb requires maintenance weekly to keep it quite.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    +1 on the Jabber

mtbr member
    Jabberwocky!!

mtbr member
    I'd have the monkey.

mtbr member
    Karate Monkey! Although I have only ridden the Jabber in a parking lot, the Monkey is incredibly nimble and fun. But I also have to agree with the OP, both bikes are excellent choices but the amount of Jabber to Monkey builds lately are 2 to 1 if not more.

mtbr member
    Go with the Jabber! I did, with no regrets!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jabberwocky or Karate Monkey-dsc00106.jpg  

2008 Trek 69er SS
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS

Property Inspections
    Quote Originally Posted by lwebber60
    Go with the Jabber! I did, with no regrets!
    what frame size is that?
    Escondido, CA

mtbr member
    Medium, 18 inches...
    2008 Trek 69er SS
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS

I would get the monkey. For my rigid SSing, the jabber chainstays are too long. Both are good bikes with different geo, pick what suits your preferences.

Property Inspections
    Quote Originally Posted by lwebber60
    Medium, 18 inches...
    Thats a nice bike. Do you think I would have toe overlap problems with platforms and a size 13 on the 18"?
    Escondido, CA

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Isn't the Jabber a little lighter than the KM?

Another option - the new Salsa ElMariatchi (sp?).

I have a Jabber and really like it, but if I were in the market right now...I'd probably get the Salsa.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast