mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Jabber vs Centerlock vs BB7 issue

I have a 2009 Vassago Jabber w/ Avid BB7's and Shimano wheels (Wh-MT75) w/ shimano centerlock adapters. The problem I have is that the rear brake bolts and washers rub on the rotor. When the are adjusted perfect, you might be able to slide a piece of paper between the rotor and the brake post washers. Any advice???? Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    throw washers on the bolts to space them out further

also, curious, do you get a "howl" sound with your centerlock adapters? I get an annoying sound with my bb7/centerlock adapter set up

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No noise from the brakes. When working they are great.

The bolts/washers that are rubbing are the ones holding the caliper to the adapter. Where would I add washers?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Mount the washers on the outside of the mount.

meatier showers
    Pix would help.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Low Rep Count
    I think I understand what you are getting at. On my rear, I have run into the same problem. I am believe you are referring to the two bolts that run vertically (roughly) into the adapter that mounts onto the frame. The washers tend to stick out a little past the adapter and caliper thus rubbing on the rotor. In my case I ended up setting it where needed knowing that they were rubbing. Then disconnected the whole caliper with adapter from the bike and hit the edge of the washer with a file to allow for more room.

This could also be done if you have a bench grider. You could simply take the washer, hold them in a pair of pliers and grind a flat spot on the edge of the washer to allow for a little more space. The other option is to find some smaller washers that still have the same diameter hole for the bolt to pass thru.

In my case, the flat spot gave me a little more adjustment space between the washer/rotor and no more rubbing.

Low Rep Count
    Here is a crude drawing of what I am talking about. You would file/grind off the shadded area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jabber vs Centerlock vs BB7 issue-washer-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks. I was thinking of grinding the washers or taking the adapter and grinding a little off where it attached to the frame to move it out a bit. Right now I can fit a piece of paper in the gap. Very close but not rubbing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am having the same issue...almost!

Brand new JabberWocky frame and Odis fork. My BB7's fit fine in the rear. But I am having a very similar problem on the front with the Odis fork.

1) No clearance
    2) mounting washers making contact with the rotor.
    3) not able to dial out enough on the outboard pad to prevent rubbing.
    4) despite the clearance issue, the rotor is parallel to the caliper body and perpendicular to the axle line

What I have done as a temperate fix is to shim the hub on both sides with thin washers. This keeps the wheel centered, but allows for some clearance. It's still not right though.

I have been in contact with Vassago and the company I purchased from. The concensus is that the I.S. tabs have been welded straight but with the incorrect offset. If this is correct, then the caliper body is also siting slightly closer in towards the axle line than normal. So the caliper is off two ways. None of this has been absolutely confirmed though.

I can't say this is the exact same issue you both are having in the rears, but it sound way too familiar. Somethin' fishy?

I will stress again, nothing has been confirmed. I need to get some pictures. Mine is far enough off, and I suspect yours may be too, that the difference should be easy to detect visually. But measurements will be important for confirmation.

Either of you running an Odis?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Not running the ODIS - I have a White Bros Solid Rock. everything working good up front.

I was looking at my bike today and the front part of the rear adapter/bolts/washers have great clearance but the back part is where I have the issues. May have an alignment issue also.