Thread: jabber question

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

jabber question

hey all looking at replacing tires on my bike. hearing great things about mountain kings. but will 2.4's fit on the rear of the jabbeR?
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

mtbr member
    I think it might depend on how far back your wheel sits in the dropouts. I have a 2.2 Captain on my Jabber in the back and my wheel sits pretty far forward (could probably do with an extra link in my chain...)- it barely clears the frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I thought about throwing a Racing Ralph 2.4 on mine, and I think those may be a bit narrower than the Mountain Kings. It was an extremely tight fit with the RR. Depending on where your wheel is placed in the dropouts you can technically get it to fit with a perfectly true wheel and with the wheel perfectly straight in the dropouts, but it's probably not the best idea. You're also going to have some amount of frame flex, so even if it looks okay in the workstand, you're probably gonna get some tire rub out on the trail.
    I wouldn't waste the time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    MK's are a polarizing tire, people either love em or hate em, not really any in-between. They redesigned it so if you are looking at getting the older version, I would wait a bit and get the newer ones. The issue with the older version is the outer knobs are pretty tall and soft and fold when leaning hard into turns. They probably work well in softer conditions but not well at all in dry condition in my opinion. I am on the hate them bandwagon. I had 2.4's up front and 2.2's on the rear. I never tried putting the 2.4's in the back but I would agree with mtbmxer that those knobs will most likely rub the chainstays when riding.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...inKing_en.html

Apr 2007
    I've had Rampages (2.3) back there with good clearance. Not sure how they compare to MK's, but I'm thinking it should work.

I'm currently on Geax Saguaro's (2.2) in the rear and it's been money.

WNC Native
    All depends on what width rim your running also, seems everyone always leaves this out of the equation.

I had to run my Jabber at the very back of the dropout to not rub the stays like crazy with only a Rampage 2.3 (they were on 38mm Kris Holm rims though ). Supposedly the newer frames have more rear clearance than my 08 Bone white one did too.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    +1 on the saguaros. Went from MK's to suguaros and love them, world of difference and plenty of room in back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    cat i ride with had saguaros loved them at first then said they didnt work quite as well and he didnt have them very long. the Mk's i was told this weekend rock ive ridden with guys that love em on there 26's was just curious about the 2.4 on my jabber. fyi i am running semi discs
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

mtbr member
    If I'm not mistaken the MK's run small, I had the 2.2's on my GF X-cal, they were more like 2.1's, not sure about the 2.4's??? I ride in New Hampshire, rocks, roots, mud, and I liked them!

I'm currently running Rampage 2.35's front and rear on my Jabberwocky with no clearance issues, and I like these better than the MK's hands down!
    2008 Trek 69er SS
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS