Cthulhu fhtagn

its official, i love my single speed

took my nashbar SS to the trails today and it was a lot of fun. no worrys about being in the right or wrong gear for the climbs just stand up and mash it til i get to the top. i bought the nashbar to use as a commutor but i may have to rethink that. that is all.

bi-winning
    great .
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Same here. Bought a 29er Monocog used from a friend. It's got Avid Juicy brakes and upgraded wheels/hubs. I figured I'd just use the bike as a pitbike to drag around to autocross events. I took it on the trails for the first time yesterday and absolutely loved it. I can see a lot of money being dumped into this bike as I slowly upgrade it. I'll probably start with a new frame next spring. Any recommendations on something? I'd like to stay in the $400 range.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

Dive Bomber
    SS makes my body stronger and healthier except for my thumbs.

One thing I regret is why I don't start my riding style like I ride a SS from long time ago.

Now I want 1x7 or 1x6 for my second MTB because now I understand how to ride efficiently but still with SS riding style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspade
    SS makes my body stronger and healthier except for my thumbs.

One thing I regret is why I don't start my riding style like I ride a SS from long time ago.
    I agree with that, coming from a fully rigid Surly starting on a cheap suspension gearie .

mtbr member
    agreed mike. i got myself a SS mtb back in may, and i have never had so much fun on a bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I recently found a new love for my rigid DISS. I'd probably have a rigid SS as my only bike if I didn't depend on my bikes for a cardio workout, which regularly puts me on the street. I need gears for that.

Dive Bomber
    It's been a month since I use 32x20 and it feels like I know every detail and corner about my bike. I got total control of it, I know the limit - know when keep the momentum and stuffs like that. I learn to enjoy pushing and running lifting my bike - yeah it's heavy.

I don't even care or worry about the distance or terrain stuffs. I feel total freedom and I am glad it's so fun that I can push my limit.

mtbr member

Me too!!!

Took my Stout out on the Sac River Trail yesterday, with 32/20 gearing, and had a blast. Had 2 places I had to push, because I made poor line choices, and was too lazy to restart on the hill. I did clear the toughest climb, which I have pushed a couple of times on my geared bikes!

The guys I was riding with claimed I was riding faster than our normal pace, but I didn't really notice a difference on the speed. On the other hand...I did notice I had a tendency to overshoot the corners a bit.

I am definitely sold on the concept of riding a rigid 29er SS!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Started on my XXIX in April with 32x20 now running 34x20 1300 miles of so far. No plans to go back to gears.

Cthulhu fhtagn
    ok went for a 9 mile trail ride today with some friends on geared bikes. im having no real problems on the hills with the 32x18 gearing (29er) but im spinning out big time on the flats trying to keep up with those guys. the speed i was riding was just fine for me but trying to keep up was a pain. i think i need to stop riding with them lol

mtbr member
    I love my SS rigid, but my hands too a beating this past weekend at a local trail.

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    I got two gyms-in-motion: 29er SS and SUP (Stand up paddleboard). Coming from a geared, full suspension and swithching months ago to a SS, the ride is a true workout in itself. Full body. In harmony with the terrain. The technique involved in properly negotiating 'challenging' terrain on a SS is an added plus. Ha, and the funny remarks of my peers that start with 'How can you...?' and end up 'How could you...?'