mtbr member

It's no fun to be a singlespeeder when.....

you're on the flats spinning 32/20 like a maniac as you hear the large barking dog you're trying to outrun getting closer and closer! Man, I was waiting for him to take a chunk out of my calf, he was so close. He finally peeled off when I got pissed and yelled "GTF out of here" as I unclipped and prepared to boot him in the face, only cause I couldn't outrun him!. Good ride nonetheless - 45 deg. and cloudy but no wind and only saw one group of 3 people on the trails.

Dive Bomber
    This was almost happen to me and I am 32/20 too, I was climbing very very happy since I am on the good mood on the road behind my house and a stupid dog bark at me. Maybe the dog think that he's the master of the area and his dog friends also start barking too.

I get off my bike and use my bike as shield and I almost remove my seatpost to become my sword and fortunately someones coming and shout GTFO to the dogs. After that I always carry my knife and baton for unexpected event.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Water Method

I read today that squirting water in the dog's eyes will distract them and break their prey/chasing instinct. I have tried the shield method and it always work but i have not tried the water method. Problem with the shield method is that they don't always go away.

mtbr member
    nose wheelie/fishtail your rear wheel in the dog's face!

i ride a bicycle
    I ve been carring wasp spray in my bottle cage for about a year now ,riding around LOOKIN for a dog to chase me. Sadly no takers !!

Kicker of Elves
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbc
    I ve been carring wasp spray in my bottle cage for about a year now ,riding around LOOKIN for a dog to chase me. Sadly no takers !!
    You are one heck of a great person.

i ride a bicycle
    Only half joking,i v heard it works great on wasps also,and maby even bears,as for loose dogs:
    As a long time dog owner we have found that keeping our own dogs on a leash and well trained works great.While my wife and 3 month old daughter where out walking they got to see our leashed dog get attacked and carried off by 3 dogs running loose in the area .The owners had been warned multiple times to keep the dogs tied/fenced up.So a touchy subject with me.
    My wife is more humane ,she only carries mace when she rides/walks .
    As for "heck of a great person" i ll leave that up to my family and friends to decide .

The need for singlespeed

mtbr member
    with that situation i've learned as a frequent urban rider dealing with rottweilers and pitbulls is that you have a few options. when it comes to something like this there really is no humane/inhumane way to handle it: the dog wants to hurt you. if the dog is chasing you try to get away, if you cant kick back like whats his face said. wasp spray will kill the dog and thats illegal so i'd stay away from that. with dogs such as pits you cant really do much other than grow some balls and fight it. your on the top of the food chain for a reason. mace for other dogs works as long as its the pepper base. grab back legs and twist if you can that will stop them from mauling your friend if you have one with you. i've been chased alot lol people round here dont like to fix their fences
    would anyone like to buy partially plucked chickens?

Tree Thumper
    It's no fun to be a singlespeeder when.....

you are racing and are coming to the finish line and the guy next to you wants to go for a sprint. singlespeeder's should not sprint finish. It just looks dumb
    ~JPB

"Loud Hubs Save Lives"