Play all day

It's alive again...on the cheap! (pics)

I finally got my butt in gear and built the project I've had sitting in the back of my mind. I got my brother's very first mountain bike, a 1988 Performance. I stripped it and rebuilt it as cheap as I could. I hope I don't have any part failures because of it. I also stripped the old paint and sprayed some rustoleum on it. All the steering setup is nashbar branded, except for the Oury grips, I got some coda (inexpensive but work pretty well) canti brakes. Wheels, cranks and pedals are from my spare parts, tires are bought used, and the saddle's nashbar. I had to scavenge the front cable hanger off of an old Schwinn World Sport I have in the garage. The seat post, BB, and headset are original as is the fork. And I got the inexpensive Nashbar conversion kit. Here're the pics:

The last Jasco paint remover coat was just applied. Tip for the future: make sure all paint bits are gone. I missed a couple small spots and when I finished repainting, the new paint just fell right off of the old paint bits still on the frame

Here's the bike hanging in the garage after being painted. I used one can of primer, then green, then clear. I then let it hang in my garage for several days

I couldn't wait for all my parts to get in, so I put some parts on during the week

And here's the final product. The paint job's kinda weak; I chipped it all over the place while building up the bike. Next time I'm going to use that nasty rustoleum spray paint that looks like built up rust, so it doesn't matter how it looks, but all in all, I'm happy with it. It's just in time for the weekend!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I know what ya mean

Quote Originally Posted by Jinks
    I finally got my butt in gear and built the project I've had sitting in the back of my mind. I got my brother's very first mountain bike, a 1988 Performance. I stripped it and rebuilt it as cheap as I could. I hope I don't have any part failures because of it. I also stripped the old paint and sprayed some rustoleum on it. All the steering setup is nashbar branded, except for the Oury grips, I got some coda (inexpensive but work pretty well) canti brakes. Wheels, cranks and pedals are from my spare parts, tires are bought used, and the saddle's nashbar. I had to scavenge the front cable hanger off of an old Schwinn World Sport I have in the garage. The seat post, BB, and headset are original as is the fork. And I got the inexpensive Nashbar conversion kit. Here're the pics:

The last Jasco paint remover coat was just applied. Tip for the future: make sure all paint bits are gone. I missed a couple small spots and when I finished repainting, the new paint just fell right off of the old paint bits still on the frame

Here's the bike hanging in the garage after being painted. I used one can of primer, then green, then clear. I then let it hang in my garage for several days

I couldn't wait for all my parts to get in, so I put some parts on during the week

And here's the final product. The paint job's kinda weak; I chipped it all over the place while building up the bike. Next time I'm going to use that nasty rustoleum spray paint that looks like built up rust, so it doesn't matter how it looks, but all in all, I'm happy with it. It's just in time for the weekend!

I just finished painting a aluminum monocog, cause I didn't like the stickers that they put under the clear coat, I've hardly ridden the bike and it has chipped some already, I think I might just put even more clear coat on the down tube and other easly chipped places

mtbr member
    When I did my first SS it was a Access frame with ugly and I mean ugly decals. I went the spray can way but applied 3 coats of primer lighty sanding between coats, 3 coats of fluorecent green and 6 coats of clear.

The paint didn't chipped but the sun ruined the paint. The top pf the top and down tubes turned almost white, it looked old and ugly. I still wonder why that happened but guess that spray can paint isn't that great after all.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    How many coats of primer, paint and clear did you use? Even though it might not be durable, it photographs well.
    Herro prease

bicyclist
    are those the older white industries cranks that say BIANCHI on them? if so do you know anything else about them?
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

Play all day
    I used one and a half cans of primer, one can of green and one can of clear. It's all Rustoleum. If I were to do it again, I'd do two cans of everything and take a week to paint it then take another week to let it dry hard. It chipped while building the bike up whenever I'd clink it on anything, and there was some paint build up which led to some cracking in a few places. It works well enough for now.

Good eyes with the cranks. I don't think they say Bianchi on them. On the inside of the cranks it says "custom made in Japan for White Industries". I got them new in '97 as part of a build for my old SC Heckler. But back then I barely knew anything about components. All I remember was going with what the sales guy recommended for most of the parts. I sold the Heckler but kept the cranks until now.

Harrumph
    For my "rattle can specials" I use the spray paint for lexan RC car bodies. It is really flexible, pretty tough, and comes in quite a variety of colors. As far as making it last, LOTS of LIGHT coats is what you have to do. Warm the can in some hot water and keep in mind the temp and humidity. Get some really fine sand paper and sand beween coats, and then really clean off the dust. It will always look like a rattle can job, but it won't look like crap.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

bicyclist
    Good eyes with the cranks. I don't think they say Bianchi on them. On the inside of the cranks it says "custom made in Japan for White Industries". I got them new in '97 as part of a build for my old SC Heckler. But back then I barely knew anything about components. All I remember was going with what the sales guy recommended for most of the parts. I sold the Heckler but kept the cranks until now.
    Yeah.. they aren't quite the ones i thought they were. I have a crankset that came on a bike that i bought (that some dude built up from his collection of spare bits) that appear to be mostly identical except that the ends of the spider are rounded instead of being sort of square (although one of the previous owners may have just taken a dremel to them) and under the White Industries logo it says BIANCHI, which makes me think they may have come stock on an older bianchi bike...
    People who really know what happened aren't talking. And the people who don't have a clue, you can't shut them up.
    Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    Even though it might not be durable, it photographs well.
    word,

bike looks cool even though it might chip easily....good job