I speak for the trees

Ionic bike . . . would you . . ?

A habitual bike building/buying/selling friend has offered to sell me his Ionic singlespeed. It's a very sweet ride and I'm ready to jump all over the deal, but I'm worried about one thing. The frame is made from a very lightweight Platinum OX tubeset. I weigh in at about 190 and worry that a used, lightweight frame might fail. Comments please . . .

Contrarian
    I guess it depends how you ride. I'm about 215lb and I ride a frame made from pretty light Columbus Foco tubs and I haven't trashed it yet. I guess I'm not trying hard enough.

"Mr. Britannica"

why not

Isn't that the same tubing that Kona Units are made from?

I speak for the trees
    Yeah, but for some reason they weigh a good deal more and have a different feel.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Cool-blue Rhythm i'm sure if you stick to fire roads...

and stay off Laguna Ridge Trail, you'll be fine.
    you going to retire the bridgestone?

~Chris (guy with black bianchi SS).
    [size=1][/size]

Inrideo est vita
    Quote Originally Posted by lorax
    A habitual bike building/buying/selling friend has offered to sell me his Ionic singlespeed. It's a very sweet ride and I'm ready to jump all over the deal, but I'm worried about one thing. The frame is made from a very lightweight Platinum OX tubeset. I weigh in at about 190 and worry that a used, lightweight frame might fail. Comments please . . .

OX Platinum is stronger than Reynolds 853 which is technically stronger than 3/2.5 Ti - if you believe all the modulus and materials property graphs that pepper the internet.

I'm riding a Kelly Deluxe SS (also OX Plat.) and I weigh 175Lbs. I can't even get the frame to flex noticeably. Your extra 15 Lbs is nuttin.

I say buy it, ride it, love it for life.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

I speak for the trees
    nah, I can't retire her again - I did it once and she was so sad. I'll just keep her in the stable and ride her less often. She'll be 13 in June . . .

you doin' Tues night ride tomorrow?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    i'm on a monday night, wednesday night, thursday morning weekday ride schedule... got to coordinate with the wife so someone's home at a decent time to let the dog out after work. besides, i'm not nearly fast enough for the tuesday crew.

see you around!
    [size=1][/size]

I speak for the trees
    Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    i'm on a monday night, wednesday night, thursday morning weekday ride schedule... got to coordinate with the wife so someone's home at a decent time to let the dog out after work. besides, i'm not nearly fast enough for the tuesday crew.

see you around!
    Wow - 3x a week - you must not have kids! oh well, little league season will be over soon so maybe I can crank it up to 2x per week. and I don't believe the bit about not being fast enough. . .

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

no kids, just the dog...

Wow - 3x a week - you must not have kids! oh well, little league season will be over soon so maybe I can crank it up to 2x per week. and I don't believe the bit about not being fast enough. . .
    before the dog, i was able to ride as much as i wanted during the week. those were the days!

i'm just lucky to be here today, though. i almost got creamed by an inattentive b:tch in a yellow ford escape on my road ride in dana point last night. i swear i'm going to die young and at the hands of an suv driver.
    [size=1][/size]

Cracker-magnon
    little league season will be over soon
    Sometimes you can only hope, last year Little League turned into summer ball, which progressed into winter league, and all that added up to about 9 months of baseball, ending just before Thanksgiving.
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    Sometimes you can only hope, last year Little League turned into summer ball, which progressed into winter league, and all that added up to about 9 months of baseball, ending just before Thanksgiving.
    I hear ya man. Here in Ohio, we are just getting underway (snowed today - nice). Somehow over the years, I have managed to become the league commissioner so even if the season is only a few short months, the job just goes on and on and...

As for the frame though...(to the posters ?) I have an 853 frame that I have beat the cr@p out of. The rear triangle needs straightened a bit a the moment (6' to flat gone way wrong!) but the bikes has stood up to park, urban, and the roughest trails I can find. FYI, Im only 155 lbs or so (wet) but if you are looking for an xc frame, the OX will be no prob.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, but for some reason they weigh a good deal more and have a different feel.
    The tubes in the Ionic may have been spec'd for a particular person or to achieve a lower weight, smoother ride, etc.... while the Kona was probably spec'd for a wider audience.

Each tubeset has tubes available in different diameters and wall thicknesses. Builders mix-n-match tubes differently for their frames... based on size, weight, durability requirements, riding style, etc. For example, a custom builder will likely select smaller/thinner tubes for a 120 pound rider than for a 190 pound rider.

Also, some frames might have the chi-chi tubes in only the three main tubes and lesser grade tubes in the stays.

That said... for some reason my Dean 853 frame weighs a ton but is really smooth. *shrug*

XC Geek
    Go for it, I've got two years XC racing on an Ionic Steelhead, it will handle your 190lbs easily, I'm around 200lbs and ride it hard.
    I should be doing something more productive with my time!