mtbr member

Inbred vs Singular Swift

Anyone have any experience with both of these frames?

Flyn G

mtbr member
    Yup. Swift wins hands down. The Inbred is ok, just not great.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Contains no juice.
    I just discovered this bike thanks to an article in Dirt Rag from a month or so ago (article here).

It's got everything I've been looking for- it's either an SS or a geared 29er, room for 2.4" tires both f & r, got an eccentric BB, ready for an 80mm fork, the size (XL) seems to be right, it's a good price (offering the frame, EBB, and fork, faced, prepped, and treated) at $590- it just sounds like what I need.

Good looking, too!

To the OP, did you ever make a choice?
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 11-05-2009 at 04:39 PM.
    "...rhetorical hyperbole..."

mtbr member
    No Brainer= Get the Swift

mtbr member
    I love my Inbred, especially given how cheap you can get them (less than half the price of the Swift). But that Swift is a beautiful bike and looks well designed. I would personally never buy an EBB frame but I think the Swift would be enough to make me throw that prejudice out the window

mtbr member
    I have an 18" Inbred 29er. Its awesome but Ive had it for awhile and just want to try something else... Anyone want to trade?

Ovaries on the Outside
    I would take either. Swift is my choice for a pretty commuter/monstercross. For XC I'd do Inbred because I wouldn't feel bad about the dents.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    I love my Inbred, especially given how cheap you can get them (less than half the price of the Swift). But that Swift is a beautiful bike and looks well designed. I would personally never buy an EBB frame but I think the Swift would be enough to make me throw that prejudice out the window
    ditto...i will NEVER buy an EBB-based bike, period. I freaking hate them...never seen a better example of a feeble attempted solution looking for problem

not saying the Inbred is the best ever, but its been FLAWLESS in over 2 years...nary a peep from the bike, period

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think the Inbred has a lower standover than the Swift if that matters to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink
    I think the Inbred has a lower standover than the Swift if that matters to you.
    They list the MED seattube as 17.7 which seems closer to a large to me. The standover is listed at 807mm which makes for almost 32". I'm a 31" inseam It did make it too high for my consideration.

I am looking very hard at the JabberWocky right now as a result of the Swift's large size.
    I do agree it is a beautiful frame. I wish it was a bit smaller.

Flyn G

Witty McWitterson
    I'm biased, so take this with a grain of salt.

It's kinda hard to compare the two. The Inbred is about half the price of the Swift. They're both good bikes, but the Swift is easier to work with. You never have to worry about your wheel slipping on you. Can't say I've ever had troubles with my EBB. Over ten years. No creak's. No slips. Fo is a Fo'.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    You never have to worry about your wheel slipping on you
    Equally I have never had a wheel slip at all on my steel or ti On-one frames. Both with single drive-side chaintug and xt qr. :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink
    Equally I have never had a wheel slip at all on my steel or ti On-one frames. Both with single drive-side chaintug and xt qr. :-)
    Ditto with my Inbred

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Ditto with my Inbred
    this is primarily the reason I like my Inbred...its been flawless. I run a bolt on setup and need nothing else. However, if i needed to, i would just put on a tug as well but have not needed to. there is simply nothing to creak (or fail) which is sweet!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    ditto...i will NEVER buy an EBB-based bike, period. I freaking hate them...never seen a better example of a feeble attempted solution looking for problem

not saying the Inbred is the best ever, but its been FLAWLESS in over 2 years...nary a peep from the bike, period
    Love my Inbred, I almost got the Swift. I'm not a fan of the EBB, either. For me it came down to price which afforded me some decent components.

Witty McWitterson
    Touche dear sir. I've got a track end set up that has worked very well.

I still posit that those who have not ridden a Pinch or set screw style of ebb, know not of what they speak. Bushnell's however...yeah, they suck.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    I havent ridden the swift but have pounded my Inbred. I bought it as an inexpensive way to try SS. Havent ridden another bike since. No wheel slip with 1 chain tug. It is always ready to go, no issues, really simple.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Recently ordered an Inbred as well.

mtbr member
    How about the Surly 1x1? Is it cheaper than most other SS frames here?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGenTwo
    How about the Surly 1x1? Is it cheaper than most other SS frames here?
    Yep, it is cheaper than a lot of other SS frames and is a modern classic (like its 29er brother the Karate Monkey). 26er Inbreds are still cheaper though... link

mtbr member
    Inbred... can't go wrong with the price and they don't care if you're short or not.

No such thing as the perfect tensioning system, they all have pros and cons.

Jabbers are nice, but for the $ an Inbred is hard to beat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmtb1
    Havent ridden another bike since.
    It's getting to be that way for me. I have 9 bikes hanging in my garage and my 29'er SS Inbred is ALL I ride. Love that bike!

Members who have read this thread: 0