Thread: Inbred or Unit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Inbred or Unit?

I know you guys are probably tired of these threads but I need some input.

I have narrowed it down to the Kona Unit 2-9 and the On One Inbred. I would be buying the complete versions and putting a on a Reba fork.

Out of the box which bike is lighter? Anyone know the actual weights?

Which has better components ignoring the forks.

I would have to get the On One from their website but I can get the 09 Unit at a LBS for 820 shipped.

Help me make this decision...

mtbr member
    Bro this one is so easy ON ONE ALL DAY..........CF.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I prefer the sliding drop outs on the Kona Unit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The Kona would be cheaper for me, but if I ordered the Inbred without a fork I could save some money off the complete price. I really like both bikes. Everyone local is saying go with the Kona.... but I dunno. I have a month to decide while waiting on funds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Kona 29er... Ever since I bought one I haven't ridden anything else... I now have 2 actually built up in different ways... It works like a champ and have had no issues... Easy to dial in, no extra chain tensioner bull... And best of all... Kona, as a company, is the best I have ever dealt with in the bicycling world when it comes to warrantys or anything for that matter... I have ridden them for about 9 years now... Great Bikes, Great Company!!! Just my .02 Currently own 1 Honky Tonk, 1 Paddy Wagon, & 2 Unit 29ers!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If it's the old decadai tubed unit that was the sam eas the explosif go for that, if not go for the inbred, they are a cracking ride. The unit 29er looks a bit agricultural, the chainstay yoke looks like a peice of scrap metal they had lying about when the frame was made.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I can agree Mark... It is a no frills kind of frame with beefy parts... As you can see by what I ride ( Steel is Real ) old school kind of bikes, I am more worried about reliability than pretty... It's a strong bullworker of a bike... I can't think of anything more important 20 miles from your car in the middle of nowhere... So many rides to choose from though... Good luck...

meatier showers
    I have the On-One and am really happy with it. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another if anything happened to this one.

That said, I ride (a lot) with three guys who have Konas, and they're plenty happy, too. I'd say you're in a good spot having to decide between these to bikes.

Final note... personally I prefer vertical dropouts for ease of rear wheel removal/installation, the Kona's got those via its sliders.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I think both companies are using house chromoly. Am I wrong?

I know nothing
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eastspur
    I would have to get the On One from their website but I can get the 09 Unit at a LBS for 820 shipped.
    Are you in Europe? If you want a 19" or 20" you can probably forget the Kona.

I ordered a 29er Unit 20" from my LBS. Finished. They made some phone calls but it seems noone in Sweden ordered any. Kona Europe couldn't (or wouldn't) help get me complete bike, only a last years frame. It took them a month to let me know that.

Since I couldn't get a complete bike (and the nice price that means) I ordered an Inbred instead. Waiting for it to arrive now. The fork came the other day, but the rest of the bike has not showed up yet.

I've had two Konas, still own and use the first one (Fire Mountain bought in 2000). I like their bikes and the company, but their European "sales/distribution department" really suck, if you ask me.

Good luck, whichever bike you end up with.

onkel

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by onkel
    Are you in Europe? If you want a 19" or 20" you can probably forget the Kona.

I ordered a 29er Unit 20" from my LBS. Finished. They made some phone calls but it seems noone in Sweden ordered any. Kona Europe couldn't (or wouldn't) help get me complete bike, only a last years frame. It took them a month to let me know that.

Since I couldn't get a complete bike (and the nice price that means) I ordered an Inbred instead. Waiting for it to arrive now. The fork came the other day, but the rest of the bike has not showed up yet.

I've had two Konas, still own and use the first one (Fire Mountain bought in 2000). I like their bikes and the company, but their European "sales/distribution department" really suck, if you ask me.

Good luck, whichever bike you end up with.

onkel
    No I'm in Texas. I'm right in between 5'9" and 5'10" with a 31.5" inseam. I was leaning towards the 18" in either flavor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Here is where I am at the moment.

Color: I don't really like either but I would probably choose the inbred's Sand.
    Price: Definitely Kona
    Components: I think the Inbred has better components (but I'm not sure I want hydraulic brakes) The inbred is at $975 without a fork, seatpost, or saddle. That is fine because I get what I want from the get go but it certainly doesn't come close the the $820 deal I could get on the Kona Complete.
    Time: I could get the Kona quicker
    Weight: I have no idea about the frames but if I put the amount of cash into the Kona as I would spend on the Inbred they would probably end up around the same.
    Frames: I like both, not sure which one has better steel.... I like the graphics on the Inbred a little better. I am kind of indifferent on the dropouts.

mtbr member
    Hard choice for sure. For me the on-one wins even though it's a bit spendier

They call me Shoogs
    Such a personal choice. Me I went with the Kona got a Deal, threw on some Luv Handles and love it. I'll upgrade as I go for sure, just like every bike, but I'm very happy with it.

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My inbred has treated e very well! One thing that I really appreciate about it is the geometry. My 18" has a nice roomy top tube that most med/18" bikes don't have.

Also of note for those in the market, it looks like Unreal Cycles has a good selection of frames, frame kits and completes in their ebay store for good prices. If you were thinking of ordering direct from On-One you may save a lot on shipping sourcing it from the US as well.