Knollician

Idea! Important Notice to all attending 24hr OLD Pueblo!!!

I prerode it today, and I want to inform all of you that may not know, there is a new piece of single track that will replace the powerline section. In previous years, when heading towards the powerlines, you make a sweeping left turn and head toward the powerline, take a right on the entrance road and go downhill to the last section where you take a left off of the road.

The new section will lead you straight throught the old left turn (known as the ARCH parking lot, as it is near the entry arch) on brand new single track. this will completely bypass the powerline and downhill road section. When you are done with the new section, you will simply cross the entry road to the last section and to the finish.

I spoke to several people today, and many of them said it adds about 2 miles to the loop (though it didn't really seem like it), so be prepared. I thought it was a little rough, since it is brand new and will be a tiring section on a SS.

Good luck to all who attend and lets have a great time

I am Doctor Remulak

More info

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    I prerode it today, and I want to inform all of you that may not know, there is a new piece of single track that will replace the powerline section...I spoke to several people today, and many of them said it adds about 2 miles to the loop (though it didn't really seem like it), so be prepared. I thought it was a little rough, since it is brand new and will be a tiring section on a SS.
    I was out there Saturday also, I agree that it's a little rough but that will change with more traffic. I think that there will be more flats this year because of the amount of cactus around the new singletrack. I know I'll be running slime tubes.

For those interested in tire selection, I rode with 2.24 Mutanoraptors and was pretty pleased with their performance. The square knobs on the side of the tires were a little sketchy on off camber stuff, but rolled nicely on the rest of the course. No fear of pinch flatting on this course.

I rode with a 32x18 gearing and think it will work well for me. I was spun out on some of the fireroad stuff, but it was a good gear for the singletrack on the course. Maybe I'll try 34x18 early in the day and then switch to 32x18 when I get tired.

Mike

Fight the Kakistocracy!

I agree with mike

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    I prerode it today, and I want to inform all of you that may not know, there is a new piece of single track that will replace the powerline section. In previous years, when heading towards the powerlines, you make a sweeping left turn and head toward the powerline, take a right on the entrance road and go downhill to the last section where you take a left off of the road.

The new section will lead you straight throught the old left turn (known as the ARCH parking lot, as it is near the entry arch) on brand new single track. this will completely bypass the powerline and downhill road section. When you are done with the new section, you will simply cross the entry road to the last section and to the finish.

I spoke to several people today, and many of them said it adds about 2 miles to the loop (though it didn't really seem like it), so be prepared. I thought it was a little rough, since it is brand new and will be a tiring section on a SS.

Good luck to all who attend and lets have a great time
    I GPSsed the course today, I should be able to download soon, and will give you guys an idea of how long it is. The new single track is nice, it will get smoother. I rode with Geax 2.25 Blade in front, and a Sturdy in the rear. I think Scoutdog asked about semislicks, they would work, but I wouldn't want to cook into a corner and find myself in the cactus or a barbed wire fence. I think Slime would be a good idea, although I didn't use any today, larger tires with tread can keep the small balls of cactus on the trail from making it to the tube. I ran 34x18, the day after torturing myself on the road bike. A little too much in spots, a little not enough in other spots, I think I will take a 20t cog, and set the back up bike at 32x17 or 18. The trip down from the top of the last climb is going to be fun, you'll need to really pay attention closer to dawn, I saw a local eat it good (he was once the state champ), just before the slickrock desent. I am going to try it a few more times before the event, should be able to offer more info, or check on specific questions.

Gotta sleep,
    veelz
    veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.

hispanic mechanic

yhanks for the updates...

driving out to tucson to preride isn't an option, so those of us coming in from outta state appreciate the info.

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Knollician

New question here. Tire/gearing Selection

I have been running Hutchinson Python Tubless tires with Stan's sealant forever, and will continue to do so. I love Stan's, it is perfect for this type fo riding. The pythons roll great and have incredible traction, float a little in the corners but never let go. Great tire in the desert.

I am still new to SS'ing, (just got my Spicer the day before Thanksgiving 2003) and have benn running 36:18 since. I have never chnaged my ratio. What do you guys think? Am I going to be hurting come 2:00am. I am on a 4 person team, will only get in 4 laps. 2:1 feels pretty good to me though.

Thanks for everything, I can't wait to find the real mileage on this thing!!!

hispanic mechanic

gearing...

i'm running a 32:18 on my 29". it's a 51.1" gear, whereas a 2:1 on a 26" is about a 52" gear.
    the 51" gear worked fairly well on a 2 man ss team last sept., and it's what i'll be running @ old p. doesn't sound like a ton of big climbs, and you'll have some rest between your laps, so i'd say go for it.

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

I like to ride bikes!

Smile Thanks for all the input...

For those of us coming from out of town its priceless!

mtbr member

Is the course well marked?

Not doing it SS, although I may take the SS out for a lap, or possibly a practice lap on Friday. But, is the course well marked. I may be heading down this weekend to preride. I know in the past, unless you went out a week before the race, it was hard to find. Run into any quail hunters?

Is that new section on the back-side powerline (that is, you're not talking the first part, with the 7 *****es, are you)?

I am Doctor Remulak

Marked fairly well...

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Not doing it SS, although I may take the SS out for a lap, or possibly a practice lap on Friday. But, is the course well marked. I may be heading down this weekend to preride. I know in the past, unless you went out a week before the race, it was hard to find. Run into any quail hunters?

Is that new section on the back-side powerline (that is, you're not talking the first part, with the 7 *****es, are you)?
    No hunters on the course Saturday while I was there.

The new singletrack starts at the Arch parking area (last year's mud pit on the first lap) and bypasses the powelines that led back out to the access road for the grind up to the Sassy memorial. It is marked with orange tape and pretty easy to follow. There was one spot about halfway through the new stuff coming out of a wash that had two lines, I stopped on my fist lap and looked around before continuing. I think the line on the left is shorter. Rest assured, the 7 *****es are still there.

ride like a girl
    Jan 2004

gear selection

I ran 34:17 last year for my first four laps, and then changed to 34:18 for the last one. the headwind that kicked up for the last lap made it feel like i hadn't changed gears. I spun out a little bit on the roads, but the 2:1 was perfect for most of the singletrack.

This year I'm riding my geared bike in the solo catagory, but I'll probably bring my SS for a preride or tooling around camp.
    [SIZE=1]Though she be but little, she is fierce.
    William Shakespeare, MSND[/SIZE]

mtbr member

I ran 34x18 last year

Did 8 laps solo. If I were doing it again I'd probably start at 2:1 then gear down later, the flat sections started feeling longer and longer on each lap and the climbing is really short.