Strongbow or Bust!!!!

Smile I'm still here...

Hey All, Long time since I have posted here (June?) and before that even longer. You know how you have those life changing events that alter the course of your life? That is what I have been living. Ever since my aircraft accident in Iraq in 2008 I have not been the same person. Many people know I have been active here on MTBR for a long time, and I rode allot until the damn deployments screwed my life up. Ever since moving to Hawaii I have ridden some on the road, but nothing MTB. My health has been a rollercoaster with my lungs. I inhale a massive amount of fine fiberglass in the accident and it messed up my breathing. I have sleep apnea now, shortness of breath and a cough for over 2 years now. I have been seeing a doctor for a year now to figure out what is wrong with me but nothing solid yet. I had a big scare with cancer when they found somthing in my lungs, but now I play the wait and see game to make sure the spot does not get bigger.
    On top of all this I am being forced out of the military since I cannot pass the PT test, but I have all these medical issues. It has been a personal battle for me to struggle through all these things, to make people do their job and to make sure I get the medical care that I need. This is what really happens to vets in this country, they get sick or injured and are thrown to the wayside and left to rot by the institution that they served.
    This brings me back to what made me fit and happy over the years, was bicycle riding. I rode because I wanted to, I rode for the desire to get out and enjoy the outdoors. I taught my daughter this year how to ride her bike without training wheels. I know that I have picked up some pounds because of my situtation, but I feel the need to get back to the basics in life and bicycling was a cornerstone of that foundation. I'll be moving back to the lower 48 next year to start my new life as a civillian (I have a medical package going up to see if I will retire or get some benifits). I plan to ride as much as I can, maybe even commute to work. I want to help my brother as well, to help him get back into shape. I might settle down in the Denver area, but where ever I settle I plan to re-incorperate bicyles back into my life. I think it is important to me.
    Many of you have been great memories of riding (Sparty, Shiggy and the WETcoast gang at Barbie Camp) and others that have helped me and that I have helped. Thanks.
    Rob, aka Mr Tokyo aka The Tractor
    Fermented Apple Juice rules!!!!!! BURRRRPP!!

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Ride on warrior. Keep your head up and spirits high.
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

Strongbow or Bust!!!!
    Yokota Single speed club? Wow. I left Yokota in 2002 before my SS was even done, but I did ride with the MTB club there allot. That is one reason why I like Japan so much was all the trails, bike paths and such to ride on.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Hmm, didn't know there was a club...maybe I should change my sig to reflect that the Yokota is the bike I'm riding, not the club
    Edit: Ahh..that's better.

I do regret not being into MTB when I was in Okinawa. Or mud-bogging. Or surfing. Or scuba-diving. WTH did I do with my time...
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Good luck,keep riding.

meatier showers
    Best to you, Rob. Let us know wherever / whenever your feet hit the ground.

16th Annual Barbie Camp ended yesterday! Barbie & the gang missed ya. Get here whenever ya can & good luck in the meantime.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Strongbow or Bust!!!!
    Man, I love Barbie camp!!! The one time I went was a true blast. I have allot to look forward too, since I will be in charge of my life once more. The last 15yrs have been a personal classroom for me, but the military is just a stepping stone. The hardest part is going to be the transition from what I am used to back to what I knew a long time ago, and I'll have to learn an adjust. I know though I will be successful in what I will be doing.
    OT: I will prolly change the fork back and throw the 2.7 WTB tires on the Tractor soon and do some local riding.

Apr 2007
    My best wishes for a speedy recovery. Ive had knee and shoulder surgeries, so I know how much that sucks (though, probably not to the extent of your injuries). Be careful out there, especially on the road. My good friend got hit by a car this year and there seems to have been more cyclist fatalities where I'm at. I've tried to scale back on road riding this year and hit up more trails. Trees don't tend to turn right in front of you...

Strongbow or Bust!!!!
    Thanks all for the kind words. Right now my health is about 80-85% of what is was. The summer of 2008 I worked really hard to loose 40lbs only to return and get sick to the point where my endurance went down and my weight went up. Right now I have been feeling better, but my problem is that when I excercise, I have to ramp up slowly and take my time loading my body up, then I am fine. It is when my body needs more oxygen than my lungs can provide is a shot time, like going up stairs, that I have issues. I have a 63% DLCO score (gas exchange problem) that cannot be diagnosed at this time. My fiberglass exposure and being around the burn pits at Balad for nearly 400 days over three years has not helped my health at all.

Bike content: I was drooling in the cargo bike area and I really want a Surly Big Dummy. Man that would be a blast to have and ride.