mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Good job! I'm not a good enough biker to use gears!

This is what works best for me as my reply to others when they ask, "Why in the world would you want only one gear?" This answer tends to get the best looks with the least remarks or follow up questions. I just started SS'ing at the beginning of this year & I am already hooked & will not look back - anyone want a Trek 8500? Due to very few in south Louisiana being into SS'ing, you can imagine the comments & questions that I get. Since I am a die hard traditional archer, I stole the late great Howard Hill's answer that he use to give when others asked him why would he shoot a longbow instead of a recurve. He simply told them that he was not a good enough archer to shoot a recurve. To me fly fishing, traditional archery & single speeding are three hobbies that can be grouped together & doing them is the only way to truly understand why we do whay we do!

808+909 = Party Good Time
    On one hand I think it's a great comment (although it does suggest you aren't willing to try and learn gears properly) but I personally don't mind if people ask questions or make comments because "Knowledge is only wisdom when it's shared".

I figure the more questions I can answer the more people will be interested in SS, and if not at least they made an informed decision.

Everyone rides bike, some ride one gear some with gears... but we all ride bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I ride a SS because I am cheap. To cheap to buy all those derailers and clickty clacky items at the bottom end of the bike. To cheap to get things adjusted on a regular basis.

My two cents and I am sticking to it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedrider
    I ride a SS because I am cheap. To cheap to buy all those derailers and clickty clacky items at the bottom end of the bike. To cheap to get things adjusted on a regular basis.

My two cents and I am sticking to it.
    Going along with being cheap, I often just say its because I am Chinese . Yay for racial stereotypes that are true.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    You'll have to give fixed a try in keeping w/ you traditionalist theme.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    How about a combination of Chum and SSRider:
    Is it about the gears or getting out and riding? ...........and I'm cheap.

mtbr member
    Considering the highest point in South Louisiana is an overpass over I-10, I wouldn't think you would need more than one gear.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just built up a new SS frame and that whole cheap thing is starting to be not sure true.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro
    Considering the highest point in South Louisiana is an overpass over I-10, I wouldn't think you would need more than one gear.
    Single Speeds suck on flat terrain. I would much rather ride up a hill than a long flat section.

Full of hot air
    Quote Originally Posted by Longbow
    . To me fly fishing, traditional archery & single speeding are three hobbies that can be grouped together & doing them is the only way to truly understand why we do whay we do!
    That would be great to see

Just imagine riding SS (no hands) along the edge of a lake, fly rod attached to a spring on the bike while shooting at a (deer) / target--for the vegans
    Tastes like carbon

Baby Bear is in the house
    I just built up a new SS frame and that whole cheap thing is starting to be not sure true.
    You can say that again!
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    You can say that again!
    That whole cheap thing is starting to not be true

mtbr member
    Single Speeds suck on flat terrain. I would much rather ride up a hill than a long flat section.
    It only sucks on flat terrain if you geared it for the hills

My SS is pretty flippin' fun on flat dirt trails and around town if use 36x16 instead of 32x20

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Believe it or not, there ARE some hilly trails perfect for SS'ing in Louisiana like: The Wild Azalea Trail, Kincaid Lake Trails, Comite River Trail, Hooper Road Park. These all are the roller coaster type & are a blast. I will be taking my SS with me this year on my annual trip to Durango, CO. So if the elk are not bugling, I will be SS'ing!

Longbow >>>-------------->

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That is the only bike I have so I ride it everywhere. The 32:21 gearing is not the best on the flats but do nto wnat to change it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

perfect candidate for dinglespeed!

That is the only bike I have so I ride it everywhere. The 32:21 gearing is not the best on the flats but do nto wnat to change it.
    Keep the 32:21 and add another ratio next to it. If you keep the total tooth count the same (such as 34x19 or 36x17) you should be able to use the same chain and not have to adjust the sliders. All you would have to do is drop the wheel and move the chain over

I only have one bike too and I ride on the road in the winter if my local trails are closed so I added 36x16 as my second ratio

EDIT: nevermind. Your picture just loaded for me. Dingle is harder with those ENO's

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I do not do much road riding or riding to he trail head so it is usually not an issue. I am not sure I can get a second ring on there with the Eno's there is just not alot of room at all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I tend to just keep my SS @ 34/21, 'cause a.)my r. knee got tweaked from standing on it too soon in too tall a gear on my 1x8 and (b.)if it's geared for the flats, it's too tall for most hills (see 'a'). Better to spin and coast, spin and coast on the flats. It's fun...just different. When my knee recovers, I'll try 34/19 again, but I'm finding it a lot more fun to spin. I've got a Surly flip flop hub, so that's easy to do. But if (when) I get an Eno, I'm going to just leave it a 34/21. 42 gear inches is easy on the knees, and you can still scoot.