mtbr member
    Feb 2009

I'm an idiot. But it's okay, wire ties exist.

To start off, I'm an idiot. I did a very, very, very stupid thing. I converted my hardtail to SS and I love it. I was running a fixed tensioner... the Sette Chain Guide II. Worked nicely, did the job. Well I couldn't find my 6mm wrench to torque the hanger bolt down to secure the tensioner, so I just quick swapped it out with a hex bolt I had with matching threads. I tightened it down, went for a ride, came back, messed around with my debate between my spring tensioner vs my fixed tensioner, etc... couple screws/unscrews later I was torquing the hanger bolt down to secure the fixed tensioner and out came the threads. How nice. I guess I should have been more aware of the fact that a socket wrench could apply a bit more torque than a small handheld allen key.

Called a local Diamondback dealer for a derailleur hanger, said it'd be a 50/50 shot if it comes in today. They closed 3 minutes ago. I'm out of luck for the hanger. But me and a few buds were excited about riding tomorrow at a new trail we found. I was pretty bummed, considering it's the only working bike I have right now, so I thought Saturday would be a dull day for me.

But instead I busted out some wire ties from my toolbag from work and wire tied the tensioner in the up position. Went for a 5 min ride around the block. I had one skip which I can't seem to duplicate no matter how hard I ride it. The chain is tight so I have no idea how it happened! Other than that, it held up nicely.

Where's the trail at? I'm ready.

nothing to see here
    I did the same mod with cable ties, but not because I had to, just wanted to switch to pull up mode with a tensioner wasn't designed for it. I had a few chain skips to start with, but since adjusting the chainline properly, no probs. I now use an old inner tube in the same manner, for a bit of spring in the tension.

Go ride!

edit...you've obviously seen it in the other thread

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Haha yeah. I just wish I had gotten black wire ties when I was at wal mart though. It's kind of obvious... white wire ties on a jet black bike... Ehh, it's temporary, I'm allowed to look weird. :P

I didn't really understand the chain skip though. It must have been a freak thing. I did it in the driveway when I swooped at the back to do a hard left turn, then while still turning I got on the crank hard and bam, it skipped once. I spent an hour riding tonight where I kept trying to duplicate it. I'd bunny hop and immediately crank, jump curbs and crank, wheelies, down steps, etc. I cannot get it to skip again. Oh well!

I really don't think I need any adjustment in my chainline. I know for a fact my chainring and cog are lined up... the only other thing to adjust would be the tensioner, but the fixed tensioner has a wide roller so the chain just sits wherever it's happy.

44 miles tomorrow... 1 hour drive to get there... I've never been so excited to wake up early on a Saturday before.

nothing to see here
    FWIW I've only had one skip in the last three rides, so I reckon that's ok.

44 miles sounds like fun...I hope it's 44 miles of singletrack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have no idea what to expect. Supposedly it's less technical than the trails closer to home here so I won't have to worry about rock-beds and whatnot.

Slightly hilly, flat + dirt paths. We'll see how it goes.