Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm a Dick

mtbr member

I'm a Dick

Was doing a nice lenghy ride last Sunday at a very crowded trail (bike only trail). It is well known that all trails on the front range of CO are BUSY on weekends, so I usually go at a reasonable pace anyway so not to slam into anybody. Mind you I'm no racer by any means...especially on the downhill. I pulled over to let an uphill rider have the right away and hear some dude skid to a sliding stop behind me. Glad he stopped, but I says..."whoa". He then replied "it's all good, I'm in control". I then answered, "didn't sound like it by the skidding". So I let strava boy go by knowing there is an impending uphill. I of course get to the uphill section to see his legs spinning away as if it were an 18% pitch. I casually grin, stand, catch up to said downhiller, and give him a nice wink as I blow by. See you on the downhill my friend.

I'm a dick.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Confusing story.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You're not a dick you just suck one at story telling.

there's no bread
    what's strava?

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by byrot View Post
    what's strava?
    It is like EPO, but DHers take it to go faster. You buy it in Mexico.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _Alberto_ View Post
    You're not a dick you just suck one at story telling.
    Storytelling is not a strength. How's about this?

downhiller go fast and catch me, maybe too fast
    me catch dowhiller on an uphill
    the end

Granted it's not exciting, but whatever. I'm bored...off to ride.

ITL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    I'm a dick.
    No you're not, you're a climber.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm a dick too, but usually because I'm riding on said downhillers butt on the downhill then passing him on the uphill so I don't have to see him again.

mtbr member
    I suck at downhill and climbing. So what? I love to ride.

PS. i also like to review and compare my rides on Strava. Strava has nothing to do with riding like a Dick. Winking at riders who don't have the same conditioning or skills as you = being a Dick. Climbing egos are sometime worse than gravity egos, in my experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    I suck at downhill and climbing. So what? I love to ride.

PS. i also like to review and compare my rides on Strava. Strava has nothing to do with riding like a Dick. Winking at riders who don't have the same conditioning or skills as you = being a Dick. Climbing egos are sometime worse than gravity egos, in my experience.
    Oh you should visit Colorado (and see the shuttlers). At least climbers don't have the capacity to seriously injure somebody. And for the record, I have no skills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideorange525 View Post
    I'm a dick too, but usually because I'm riding on said downhillers butt on the downhill then passing him on the uphill so I don't have to see him again.
    I strive to be you. Had the damnest time adjusting to my 29er since riding the full squish 26 most of the time. Flippin' switchbacks killed me.

mtbr member
    Oh you should visit Colorado (and see the shuttlers). At least climbers don't have the capacity to seriously injure somebody. And for the record, I have no skills.
    No thnx. I don't need to ride where i can get passed on a climb, get winked at because i got served, and then come here to read a post about it. Not my type of attitude to ride with.

The large majority of "shuttlers" here in SoCal have common sense and uphold great trail etiquette. Plus, they don't care how fast they get up the hill as long as they can blaze on the way down. All while being cautious on the blind corners, singletrack, and passing/yielding. I find walking across a crosswalk is more hazardous than sharing the trails with shuttlers/downhillers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I strive to be you. Had the damnest time adjusting to my 29er since riding the full squish 26 most of the time. Flippin' switchbacks killed me.
    I've always been fastish at downhill, only used to climb to go down and I sucked at climbing. It's this Single Speed I got just 2 months ago that is making me a better climber and enjoying it way more. I never thought I'd like climbing, but having to hammer (and of course walk when you can't go no more) has really changed that.

I also ride a FSR29 but the SS sure see's more use these days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I'm a Dick

I have a dick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    All while being cautious on the blind corners, singletrack, and passing/yielding.
    This is precisely why I got a little irked from the get go. This particular person was going a bit too fast for A) a weekend and B) a trail infamous for it's blind corners.

I'm usually a dick, but most of the time have to be provoked. Sounds like you have a good situation in S. Cal, wish some CO downhillers would follow suit. I *****, but generally speaking it's all good out here. And BTW, that downhiller served me first on the downhill ya know. We just leaped frogged each other, was sort of funny. I knew he'd catch me going down, and I'm sure he finally realized I'd eventually catch him going up.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    This is precisely why I got a little irked from the get go. This particular person was going a bit too fast for A) a weekend and B) a trail infamous for it's blind corners.

I'm usually a dick, but most of the time have to be provoked. Sounds like you have a good situation in S. Cal, wish some CO downhillers would follow suit. I *****, but generally speaking it's all good out here. And BTW, that downhiller served me first on the downhill ya know. We just leaped frogged each other, was sort of funny. I knew he'd catch me going down, and I'm sure he finally realized I'd eventually catch him going up.
    Got it. Proud to be a dick. Cool story man.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Got it. Proud to be a dick. Cool story man.
    Damn straight. At least I admit it. It's the one's that don't that are concerning. If you don't like my story, then onward to the next thread to chime in your disinterest. Fairly simple. I'm even sick of my thread by now. Oh look...a shiny nickle.

Rogue Exterminator
    Was doing a nice lenghy ride last Sunday at a very crowded trail (bike only trail). It is well known that all trails on the front range of CO are BUSY on weekends, so I usually go at a reasonable pace anyway so not to slam into anybody. Mind you I'm no racer by any means...especially on the downhill. I pulled over to let an uphill rider have the right away and hear some dude skid to a sliding stop behind me. Glad he stopped, but I says..."whoa". He then replied "it's all good, I'm in control". I then answered, "didn't sound like it by the skidding". So I let strava boy go by knowing there is an impending uphill. I of course get to the uphill section to see his legs spinning away as if it were an 18% pitch. I casually grin, stand, catch up to said downhiller, and give him a nice wink as I blow by. See you on the downhill my friend.

I'm a dick.
    Right away = without delay or hesitation
    Right of way = a precedence in passing accorded to one vehicle over another by custom, decision, or statute
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    It's never not a good time to reel in a rider when you're on a SS. You were on it eh?
    You became weak loafing around in that big girly gear! -Soares

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Damn straight. At least I admit it. It's the one's that don't that are concerning. If you don't like my story, then onward to the next thread to chime in your disinterest. Fairly simple. I'm even sick of my thread by now. Oh look...a shiny nickle.
    You seem awkwardly proud of being a "dick"...aka..."jerk". There are these bumper stickers I see around town that say "99% Bit** and 1% Angel" Want one? Thanks for the neg rep "slick". Sorry your story was lame. Carry on..

mtbr member
    You seem awkwardly proud of being a "dick"...aka..."jerk". There are these bumper stickers I see around town that say "99% Bit** and 1% Angel" Want one? Thanks for the neg rep "slick". Sorry your story was lame. Carry on..
    Be prepared to be neg rep'd when you neg rep. I've never heard of anyone being surprised at being punched after they threw the first punch. BTW - cool bumper sticker, I may have to get one. Now go ride.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Be prepared to be neg rep'd when you neg rep. I've never heard of anyone being surprised at being punched after they threw the first punch. BTW - cool bumper sticker, I may have to get one. Now go ride.
    Man up and don't neg rep everyone who has neg'd you. I have a few that I have deserved over the years and just accepted it. And by all means, stop "winking" at riders as you "blow past them". Bad etiquette imo. Already rode..

I guess I just don't understand how embracing being a jerk somehow makes it OK to be a jerk to people..

I have met folks like this and don't care for them much.

I do like your avatar fwiw..

mtbr member
    And by all means, stop "winking" at riders as you "blow past them". Bad etiquette imo.
    Had a situation like this on a long cross bike ride the other day, wherein another spandex hero blew past me on the flat, then I reeled him in on the climb. In such situations (especially when it's hot as b@!!s outside) I prefer to, upon passing, smile and exaggerate my facial contortions to make it obvious that we're all in the same pain cave and it doesn't matter who's first.

That or a thumbs up. Either method usually results in a thumbs up received.

$.02

mtbr member
    Man up and don't neg rep everyone who has neg'd you. I have a few that I have deserved over the years and just accepted it. And by all means, stop "winking" at riders as you "blow past them". Bad etiquette imo. Already rode..

I guess I just don't understand how embracing being a jerk somehow makes it OK to be a jerk to people..

I have met folks like this and don't care for them much.

I do like your avatar fwiw..
    I think you're taking my "wink" as literal. If I remember, I actually said "see you soon" since I knew he'd catch me going down. I'm actually a VERY courteous rider, but I could really give a rat's arse what people think, especially on the intraweb. I just thought the SS peeps would enjoy my little diddy. I could also give a rat's arse about the rep thing. It's not like you win a prize for having the most....or do you??? I just don't think your's was warranted. I mean, nobody asked you to come into my thread and deem what's "negative" or not.

Oh yea - my pic is from trail 401 in Crested Butte, one of my favs. It's currently under a ton of snow.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I think you're taking my "wink" as literal. If I remember, I actually said "see you soon" since I knew he'd catch me going down. I'm actually a VERY courteous rider, but I could really give a rat's arse what people think, especially on the intraweb. I just thought the SS peeps would enjoy my little diddy. I could also give a rat's arse about the rep thing. It's not like you win a prize for having the most....or do you??? I just don't think your's was warranted. I mean, nobody asked you to come into my thread and deem what's "negative" or not.

Oh yea - my pic is from trail 401 in Crested Butte, one of my favs. It's currently under a ton of snow.
    1. You do care about rep. You checked yours. You immediately neg repped me.

2. You do care what people think. You keep trying to clarify.

3. When you tell us something happened, we will assume it did. Exhibit A. the wink

4. Nobody has to be "invited" to "your" thread to point out that embracing being a dick is not cool.

5. Yes, there is a prize for the most rep. A rainbow unicorn and a free Corgi from what I understand.

Over and out...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast