mtbr member

I'M BIG! Are singlespeeds for me?

I'm interested and have some money burning a hole in my pocket. One friend says I will love it, others say I won't like it due to my size. I am 6' 3' and weigh 30lbs. I am pretty strong and have been riding for many years. I am intrigued with a new way of getting up the hill but most people who ride singlespeeds here in WNC are superfit and weigh in the sub 160lbs range. Am I biting off more than I can chew or am I just getting pooed on by some of my friends? Maybe somebody can persuade me in the right direction.

So it goes.....
    I'll take it you mean 230lbs.....

Plenty of folks in the 200+ lb range SS in northern california on what I would consider tough and hilly trails. I'm 44, 190 on a good day and have been doing it for about 6 months. What I considered not doable before has been realized while on the SS. You get stronger very quickly. I like having the choice on what bike to take riding.

Many times my 5 inch travel FS bike is overkill for the local riding. It's nice to have for Downieville, Sierra's etc so switching to riding the SS locally has been a real blast.

Convert an old bike first and see if you like it. I did and now am shopping for a new SS specific frame/bike.

Cheers
    It's the search....not the find

igoslo

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Well, I would think since you weigh 30 lbs (around 130lbs less than your friends), you should be spanking them! lol Okay, enough fun with your typo...

Whether SS is right for someone is a personal decision. A lot of people will convert a current ride to SS for awhile to give it a test run before dropping coin on a new ride. Or if you are dead-set on purchasing a new bike, you could look at bikes that can run either SS or geared (SIR9 etc). What are you riding now and what kind of terrain (how much climbing and elevation gain is a typical ride)? You could always just leave your bike in one gear for a ride and try to see how you handle it on your current bike.

mtbr member

Take your time and get your gearing set up correctly...

and you will be really surprised what you can accomplish on a SS. I am 265, and have been riding a rigid single speed for about 4 months. It is an absolute blast and I have fallen victim to the "I hardly ride my fs any more" syndrome.

Fat, but working on it...
    I have been riding a SS for about a year. I'm not superfit or super skinny (far from it). I have found that I walk the same hills on my SS that I would have to walk on my geared bike. And I can climb the same thing on either bike.

I still ride both bikes, but I really enjoy the simplicity of my SS. I'm still 100% in favor of suspension forks though. I tried rigid and I just don't get it. It's definitely not for me. But that's why they make more than one type of fork, I guess...
    Nothing to see here. Move along...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 4000psi
    I'm interested and have some money burning a hole in my pocket. One friend says I will love it, others say I won't like it due to my size. I am 6' 3' and weigh 30lbs. I am pretty strong and have been riding for many years. I am intrigued with a new way of getting up the hill but most people who ride singlespeeds here in WNC are superfit and weigh in the sub 160lbs range. Am I biting off more than I can chew or am I just getting pooed on by some of my friends? Maybe somebody can persuade me in the right direction.
    It's no more of a disadvantage being big on an ss than on a geared bike.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty much the same as you maybe a half inch taller, but that's all. I recently converted a Spesh Sworks from a 1x9 with a Reba WC to a rigid SS and it is just pure fun.

There are only two disadvantages I've discovered.
    1) For some reason, it makes me want to ride without a helmet. (I know this is wrong and I won't do it, but for some reason I want to, maybe because the SS thing makes me feel like a kid and as a kid I was less than responsible)
    2) It has made me more adventurous in finding new trails. While this isn't problem in it's self; single speeding seems to me to be all about keeping momentum going and if you're always stopping to look down one or other diverting route of singletrack you're not keeping your momentum up.

I guess these are disadvantages because going SS has made me enjoy the simple pure pleasures of riding (and hence leading to 1) and made me a more excited adventurous rider (and that's lead to 2)

I also have a couple of fused vertebrate in my back and crunch cartiladge in my knee and SS has done nothing to agrivate them any more than geared mountain biking did.

I wear two thongs
    Im 230lbs and I like SS'ing better than riding the gearie. I found on the gearie I was able to let myself be alot lazier I'm not so much anymore.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

AOF
    soft / 34/ married
    6'3" 215# SSer for 3 years now.
    Careful, its addictive.
    You'll be fine, get yourself one of them Scientologist 29ers, and you'll be straight.
    Southern NH NEMBA & My LBS & My Blog & Single Speed Alliance

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

AKA; Jimmy Tango

do it

i am a clydesdale too. i love my ss, it is my favorite bike. Riding ss has made me a better and more satisfied rider. The sense of acclomplishment i get from riding it is awesome. Here is a pic of mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Exclusively Single
    I'm about 6'2"/200lbs and change. Been riding SS rigid for about a year and love it. So much that all of my bikes are now ss or fixed. It's not for everyone, either you "get it" or you don't. I agree that you should first convert a bike or borrow one for a while before taking the plunge and spending all your money on a ss specific bike. You may want to go ahead and try a 29er whie you're at it. You may love it, or you may not, but you may as well try it. 29" wheels and SS go great together as riding SS has much to do with maintaining momentum, and 29" wheels work far better at that than standard size.

I love it mostly for the simplicity, and riding a ss has more to do with riding your bike than operating it. It seems some people more prefer to have lots of levers and techy bits to operate to make MTB'ing as easy and plush as possible. If that's what you want, I say just stick with a road bike. If you like the challenge of riding a bicycle through the woods and mountains, I think there's no better way to get the fullest of that experience than on a ss.

mtbr member
    6ft, 275# and working on it.. Monocog 29er is my only ride right now..

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Ss

I'm 190, maybe 188 on a light day. Just built my first SS from a $99 frame and mostly spare parts and took it on the normal ridge ride we do - 1000 ft climb over a few miles, then along the top and back down - about 8 miles total. Had to walk one section that I normally tackle with 22x34 slowly. I found I could walk at the same pace I normally ride there.

First impressions are that you use more of your body, anticipate hills more and try to carry momentum. Some nice things I noticed - no chain slap and very little noise and downhill is just as fast as with FS.

I don't think the weight makes any difference. At your size I'd look at a 29er.

-Alex
    "Nothing is free."

Fargo Ti / Jones TI Spaceframe SS / Mukluk Ti / Foundry Cross / Colnago Master / Cannondale Tandem

meh... whatever

Go For It!

you'll be glad you did.

def consider a 29er, ESPECIALLY if you plan to go rigid.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Sorry about the typo, I must of been thinking about something that happened when I was 2 yrs old or something. Thanks for the info on this ss thing that has been keeping me up at night. I'm going for it! 29er with a shock is going to be my choice for my new trail ( or knee) slayer. I was wondering the philosophy beind your gearing. I hear you should pick a gear that is slightly tuff for uphill so yuo don't move to slowly on the flats. All opinions will be accepted and apprieciated. Thanks for all y'alls help. I am going for an urban assault now. It's 55 degreesout and beautifully sunny here in Greenville SC. Peace

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    What's BIG? I'm 6'2" and about 220 lbs - I've been on the SS for about a year now and have ridden all terrains.

Jump on and go!

Another festivus MIRACLE!
    6'3" 230lbs beotch and SS all the way!!!

Let me put it this way - you're a sissy if you don't!!

I bought a SS29er ridig and am also one of those who hasn't touch their FS since....it's addictive!

Not to mention I'm losing weight much faster and getting stronger..
    "If an illegal alien is an undocumented immigrant, than a drug dealer is an unlicensed pharmicist."

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Sorry about the typo, I must of been thinking about something that happened when I was 2 yrs old or something. Thanks for the info on this ss thing that has been keeping me up at night. I'm going for it! 29er with a shock is going to be my choice for my new trail ( or knee) slayer. I was wondering the philosophy beind your gearing. I hear you should pick a gear that is slightly tuff for uphill so yuo don't move to slowly on the flats. All opinions will be accepted and apprieciated. Thanks for all y'alls help. I am going for an urban assault now. It's 55 degreesout and beautifully sunny here in Greenville SC. Peace
    If you have never ss'ed before, you may be surprised at how high a gear you will end up using. When I compare the ratio I use for my 26" ss (32:18) to what gears I stay in on a geared bike, it's higher than anything I EVER run going uphill, and is about as high as I run on flat ground. 32:18 is the same as the middle cog in my middle ring, but I don't even use a big ring. My climbing technique changes for ss. On a long uphill gring, my butt may not touch the saddle for 30 minutes.

As far as what gearing you should use, if you are riding a hardtail right now experiment by picking a gear in your middle ring and don't change it for a ride. When you find the right ratio, you can use it for your ss, and it can be translated into the appropriate gearing on a 29er.

Also, ask others in your area what they are running.

Samsonite Tester
    Try many combos. Everyone is not the same. 2:1 ratio is the starting point. Example 38 / 19. If you are facing long steeps and want to sit more go easier with 36 /19 or 38 /20. A gear calculator will help sort it out. Like this one http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

My SS 29r is 34/ 20 as the big wheel skews the formula by roughly two teeth and terrain is long climbs.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit71
    6'3" 230lbs beotch and SS all the way!!!

Let me put it this way - you're a sissy if you don't!!

I bought a SS29er ridig and am also one of those who hasn't touch their FS since....it's addictive!

Not to mention I'm losing weight much faster and getting stronger..
    Do you get more chics now that your thinner and stronger? I rode today and didn't change gears for 2hours on a hilly urban ride ( 6inch FS bike). I understand! That was fun and I feel stronger, but I don't have a scale to weigh myself and I plan on drinkin' and eatin' tonight! As for the sissy comment, It will happen next week beooootcchhhh! Shaka

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I bought a SS 29er without ever trying SS or 29ers. Well both of my geared 26" bikes were sold within a month. For half of the year all I had were two SS 29ers (built another with some of the left over parts from the 26ers). Most of my miles I ride during the year are on a bike with only one gear. The mileage gets divided between a SS MTB 29er, fixed gear 29er MTB, and 4 fixed gear road/track bikes. Oh, ya 6'6" and 280lbs BTW

Members who have read this thread: 0