Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

If you had $1500 and wanted to buy or build a 29nr...

..what would you do? Must have a shock, but otherwise anything goes. Will be used on non-technical trails for the most part, but lots of ups and downs, so light would be great. $1500 can buy a decent bike, but with deals on Ebay or swap meets, a build may be a better deal. What would you build?

Low Rep Count
    Well, since it would be me making he decision, I would simply get a custom frame made. I would really have to consider a Coconino! Just an awesome steel frame! But since I am currently on a 26er, I would need to get wheels as well and a new fork so I think I would do a Vassago Jabbawakee, new wheels (or at least steel the hubs out of my current set and have them built into new rims), and a new White Bros fork (sorry I love my rigid set up). But that is just me. I have really good parts on my current ride and would just swap them over.

mtbr member
    LOL custom frame on a $1500 budget... You are smoking crack. You'd blow your whole budget on the frame alone.

If you are going to DIY and select all the parts... Hard to say. Vassago is the darling of the moment, everyone seems to like their frames, plus they won't kill your budget. I hear a lot of good things about the Niner frames too.

For a ready to ride bike in the $1500 range, the Gary Fisher Rig is hard to beat. The frame and fork alone are worth $1500, but you get a complete bike. Personally this is the direction I would go, unless you are 100% committed to selecting and assembling every component.

openwound
    I'll cast a vote for the singular swift. They're on sale right now. Comes with a nice Phil Wood ebb vs. track ends on the Vassago. I've had both and prefer the singular because of the ebb.

master blaster
    buy this
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Men-s-M...passe/13398137
    and spend the other 1300 on a 26er

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Superfly frame on CL- 750
    Niner carbon fork- 350
    200 for a second hand wtb wheelset
    another 100 for bb5's and just use whatever leftover cranks you have.
    you can cheat the axle down a couple mm in the dropouts to allow a 32x15 magic gear.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Phatt Tire Luva'
    Just curious to know why it must have a shock - if you plan on:

- doing mostly up and down (nothing will climb as well on a SS as a Rigid fork),
    - will be used on non-technical trails for the most part (Rigid on a SS gives you better response & handling)
    - light would be great (clearly running something Rigid up front will be lighter than suspension, especially if it's the new Niner Carbon fork)
    - $1500 budget (saves you a good chunk of your budget to go Rigid - that you can put into better wheels or brakes... two things IMHO that will provide for a much better overall build, and ride)

From your description - Sounds like you are very clearly describing the perfect characteristics for a Rigid SS build!
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog
    LOL custom frame on a $1500 budget... You are smoking crack. You'd blow your whole budget on the frame alone.

If you are going to DIY and select all the parts... Hard to say. Vassago is the darling of the moment, everyone seems to like their frames, plus they won't kill your budget. I hear a lot of good things about the Niner frames too.

For a ready to ride bike in the $1500 range, the Gary Fisher Rig is hard to beat. The frame and fork alone are worth $1500, but you get a complete bike. Personally this is the direction I would go, unless you are 100% committed to selecting and assembling every component.

No crack needed. I simply stated that if it was me. You are right, $1500 would not get me the frame I want. It would be close but I would need another $150 or so just for the frame and matching fork. But I pretty much have everything else already.

I agree. Sounds like a great description for a rigid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Why shock.

Great question, and one that I have toyed with, but I may not have described the riding quite accurately. I will be riding on trails etc. where I have used my suspension bike regularly, so I am figuring I will want suspension.

Phatt Tire Luva'
    Quote Originally Posted by louisd
    I will be riding on trails etc. where I have used my suspension bike regularly, so I am figuring I will want suspension.

I wouldn't count on that!

This is from my experience, but I doubt it is much different than that of other SS riders... but a considerable amount of your climbing is done standing. In such - you want that front end to be a stiff as possible to eliminate fork-bob, and to increase leverage. With something like that Carbon Niner fork ($375 - half the price of suspension) mounted up front - it could easily handle most of your SS needs, keep the budget real and the bike nice-n-light.
    Ciao,

-A-

“Beer, if drank in moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health”

mtbr member
    i agree with all the comments on "why suspension" especially when you said the trails weren't technical. another reason to go rigid: you could get more bike now and if you really want suspension you could add it later. and also, non-suspended is lighter for those uphills! i ride fairly technical trails non-suspended but use a big front tire with 18-20 psi.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would like to humbly tender this, my own interpretation of Keith Bontrager's venerable advice...

suspension or light, pick one

niner carbon fork= 550 grams
    that's about 2 1/2 pounds lighter than a good suspension fork, and probably more like 3 or more pounds lighter than any aftermarket fork you'll need to fit in a 1500$ build from scratch budget.

FYI, KB's original: "Strong, light, cheap, pick any two"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    Superfly frame on CL- 750
    Niner carbon fork- 350
    200 for a second hand wtb wheelset
    another 100 for bb5's and just use whatever leftover cranks you have.
    you can cheat the axle down a couple mm in the dropouts to allow a 32x15 magic gear.
    so, $100 for stem, bars, grips, cables, chain, cogs, seatpost, seat, etc?

louisd, have you ever built up a bike before? I am always shocked at how much the little parts cost. If you are serious about staying on a budget, you really do need to take EVERY part into consideration.

I haven't looked into the options at all, but my gut feeling is that, for $1500, your best bet is to buy a complete bike. Or exceed your budget :-)

Apr 2007
    I had the same budget this year and built up a Jabberwocky. No regrets.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

P Nut - what did you build it with?

I am looking at this frame as well. What did you use (wheels especially)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by grundy
    so, $100 for stem, bars, grips, cables, chain, cogs, seatpost, seat, etc?
    I figured that anyone with enough experience to build a bike themselves would already have these take-offs from a previous build in their basement.
    How many of us will only ride one type of saddle or handlebars, replacing it from one bike to the next?
    but let's try it your way: find a 400$ monocog on CL, take EVERYTHING off of it, buy the 750$ superfly and the 350$ niner fork.
    1500$ right there.
    sell the monocog frameset and use the proceeds to get yourself the blingiest headset and some beer.

happy now grundy?
    geez dude, it's advice, doesn't have to be calculated down to the dollar, get over it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

2011 Trek(GF) Marlin 29er SS. $699 in Canada so $499US
    Looks good to me

http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes...insinglespeed/

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild
    I'll cast a vote for the singular swift. They're on sale right now. Comes with a nice Phil Wood ebb vs. track ends on the Vassago. I've had both and prefer the singular because of the ebb.
    The Swift is a fine riding frame, and an exceptional value. Buy it new for $525, buy a used suspension fork, and wheelset, fill the rest with carefully chosen new and used parts (bb7s and fr5s are a great match; fr5s are one of my favorite levers at any price).

Speedbump
    I have seen Spot Longboards for sale at or below that mark.
    Crunchy. Even in mud.

Apr 2007
    I am looking at this frame as well. What did you use (wheels especially)?
    Headset = Cane Creek S3
    Brakes = Avid BB7 (XTR levers)
    Wheelset = WTB Laserdisc 29 (Will get some ZTR Crest shortly)
    Cranks = Shimano SLX
    Surly Chainring/cog
    Cheapo Easton handlebar/stem.
    Thomson Seat Post
    SLR saddle

They've got a pic of mine up on the Vassago site. http://www.vassagocycles.com/jabberwocky/ Mine's the green one.
    Last edited by p nut; 09-23-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Got a suspension fork
    My advise is to check out your LBS for some deals too. If I had gone looking for a bike that fit a $1500 budget I would have severely limited myself, I ended up getting a new bike that was one model year old for $1,500 instead the MSRP of $2,599. There are deals to be had.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Ovaries on the Outside
    Soul Cycles is getting rid of their old stuff right now. Or buy a used Monocog and then upgrade parts. I'm a big ebay/craigslist fan.

mtbr member
    $500 dollars will get you a Redline Monocog, so that leaves you with $1000 to blow on booze, and women

A monocog flight would fit the bill nicely too and leave you with $500 to blow.

I doubt you will like any suspension fork better than a chromoly fork and a big front tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Cableb!tch: living, breathing proof you can be right and.still be a dick.

ballbuster

I'm digging my Singular Swift

..what would you do? Must have a shock, but otherwise anything goes. Will be used on non-technical trails for the most part, but lots of ups and downs, so light would be great. $1500 can buy a decent bike, but with deals on Ebay or swap meets, a build may be a better deal. What would you build?
    Frame and matching rigid fork go for $600 new (I got mine for $370 used). Find a good used Reba for $250-350 or so, and I'm sure you'll have money left over for the rest of the build. Cheap it out if you have to, as long as you got a good frame and fork, that's 90% of the battle right there. Upgrade as you need to in the future.

I don't know what i have into mine, but its probably around $1200. Lots of used parts, lots of dealz from buds, a few cast-off parts from a bike shop closing, lots of internet blowout priced parts, and lots of trading old stuff I didn't need anymore for new stuff. I built my own wheels, cut and rolled my own spokes, so that saved some dough.

.... or just get a Redline Monocog 29er for $550 and spend the rest on good disc brakes, a Reba29er or Fox29er and other upgrades. That's how this bike started out. A stock MC29er, got some discs right away for it, some other minor upgrades... and saved up for a Reba. Great bike. I kinda miss it. It was sold to help finance the Singular Swift build.

Wheee!!!

Last edited by pimpbot; 09-24-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Soul Cycles is getting rid of their old stuff right now.
    Just FYI, they've got no 17" Hooligans left, nor any blem models. Too bad, as I am ready to order and build up a 650b this winter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast