Thread: I want an SS!

Be about it!

I want an SS!

Waddup:

So I've decided to sell my backup GT i-drive so I can get an SS. I was just looking for some suggestions. I'm mostly going to ride this on the street and occassionaly ride trail. Though I have a strong feeling that as I get stronger I may ride the SS more and my FS may only come out every-now-and-again -- but I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

My main question is what is the difference between steel vs alum? If I ride trail with a rigid fork, will there be a difference? I'm looking at the KHS Solo or any other budget-conscious bike.

Hey if you know of an inexpensive medium for sale (maybe even small), let a brotha know.

Thanks.
    [SIZE=2]... You're not going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe? It should be more natural, brotha. It should flow out like this: "Look man, I ain't fallin' for no banana in my tailpipe!" See, that's more natural for us. You been hanging out with this dude too long ... [/SIZE] [SIZE=1]Axel Foley: Beverly Hills Cop[/SIZE]
    -Moe

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

Friend of a friend is selling a complete surly

Bought a brand new surly, had it built up and couldn't hang w/ the singlespeeders.
    I'm not sure of the size. Maybe 18". Maybe 16".
    I know he's asking $500.
    I'll try to find out more if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by MoeChedda
    Waddup:

So I've decided to sell my backup GT i-drive so I can get an SS. I was just looking for some suggestions. I'm mostly going to ride this on the street and occassionaly ride trail. Though I have a strong feeling that as I get stronger I may ride the SS more and my FS may only come out every-now-and-again -- but I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

My main question is what is the difference between steel vs alum? If I ride trail with a rigid fork, will there be a difference? I'm looking at the KHS Solo or any other budget-conscious bike.

Hey if you know of an inexpensive medium for sale (maybe even small), let a brotha know.

Thanks.
    keep moving

brother on a mission
    Waddup:

Thanks.

Hey Moe,
    sifting through the old posts here, you will see that there are varied opinions on everything you are asking about.

Steel stereotypes:
    Heavier, more forgiving/comfortable, rust prone, more durable, more expensive (for nice steel)

Aluminum stereotypes:
    Lighter, stiffer, does not corrode, less durable, cheaper

For road riding, I do not think you will find much of a difference in the ride of wny cheaper/entry level single speed. Keep the wieght down, and don't bother with a suspension fork.

For off-road you will notice the rigid fork. I began riding a full rigid MTB SS conversion this fall, and I prefer the ride of the rigid fork to my bike with a suspended fork (lighter, more precise). YOu may find the opposite.

As far as the KHS is concerned, I am thinking of getting one this winter. THere are several people that have posted favorable opinions about the bike. One of the guys I ride with rides one and he likes it a lot. I have heard people complain about the softail creaking and squeaking, and some people do not like the flex of the softail, but it is a very capable bike.

Depending on how much you want to spend there is a sweet Bianchi BUSS on e*bay right now (with a buy it now option). It even has a Paul front rack. If I needed a townie single speed with off road capability I would be all over that bike.

Be sure to let us know what you pick up.

Be about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burpee
    Bought a brand new surly, had it built up and couldn't hang w/ the singlespeeders.
    I'm not sure of the size. Maybe 18". Maybe 16".
    I know he's asking $500.
    I'll try to find out more if you're interested.

Hey there Burpee:

Hey man I'll definately let you know about your buddy's Surly -- price is right -- although I don't know much about SS bikes, a lot of the SS'ers in my area ride Surlys.

Good looking out man.
    [SIZE=2]... You're not going to fall for the banana in the tailpipe? It should be more natural, brotha. It should flow out like this: "Look man, I ain't fallin' for no banana in my tailpipe!" See, that's more natural for us. You been hanging out with this dude too long ... [/SIZE] [SIZE=1]Axel Foley: Beverly Hills Cop[/SIZE]
    -Moe

Be about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix
    Hey Moe,
    sifting through the old posts here, you will see that there are varied opinions on everything you are asking about.

Steel stereotypes:
    Heavier, more forgiving/comfortable, rust prone, more durable, more expensive (for nice steel)

Aluminum stereotypes:
    Lighter, stiffer, does not corrode, less durable, cheaper

For road riding, I do not think you will find much of a difference in the ride of wny cheaper/entry level single speed. Keep the wieght down, and don't bother with a suspension fork.

For off-road you will notice the rigid fork. I began riding a full rigid MTB SS conversion this fall, and I prefer the ride of the rigid fork to my bike with a suspended fork (lighter, more precise). YOu may find the opposite.

As far as the KHS is concerned, I am thinking of getting one this winter. THere are several people that have posted favorable opinions about the bike. One of the guys I ride with rides one and he likes it a lot. I have heard people complain about the softail creaking and squeaking, and some people do not like the flex of the softail, but it is a very capable bike.

Depending on how much you want to spend there is a sweet Bianchi BUSS on e*bay right now (with a buy it now option). It even has a Paul front rack. If I needed a townie single speed with off road capability I would be all over that bike.

Be sure to let us know what you pick up.

Hey there Greenfix:

Thanks for the info on the differences between steel and alum -- sounds like the FS debate between single pivot, four-bar, VPP ,etc. I know it's a preference thing. I'm just trying to plan ahead in case I really get into SS beyond just street riding and want to ride the trails SS instead of my Tracer.

I'll definately keep ya'll informed on what bike I get. So far I've gotten recommendations on Surly, Bianchi, KHS, & Redline within my budget. So I'm sure if I get an SS within those brands I'll be cool. Most important for me is to get one and RIDE! Because riding FS on the road is just no fun... my Tracer doesn't have lockout or new technology suspension, so I be a'bobbin'-and-weavin' down the street when I'm off-camber.

That Bianchi on eBay looks cool -- nice to have options.
    -Moe

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

Here's what I got so far

A whole lot of nothing.

Ask a simple question and I get my balls busted:

"It's black and says Surly on it..........It must be a medium frame cause it fits me good.
    Big fat 2.25's. Did I mention it's a SS.?"

Hey there Burpee:

Hey man I'll definately let you know about your buddy's Surly -- price is right -- although I don't know much about SS bikes, a lot of the SS'ers in my area ride Surlys.

Good looking out man.
    keep moving