mtbr member
    Jan 2013

I want to Single Speed My DJ...Do I have what I need

First off I have only been biking since Jan 1 (this year) so sorry in advance for my ignorance.

I am riding a 2007 kona scrap that I picked up used. it has alvio 2x8 setup stock and works pretty
    well but I really want to try single speed. I ride moslty street and some dirt jumps/ light trails.

The bike came with a "single speed Kit" according to the seller...Here is what I hace two front sprockets
    One rear sproket a chain tensioner and a couple of spacer labeled "R" and "L" for right and left I
    assume. Is this everything I need? do I need a diffrent chain? How complicated is this install can I
    Muddle through it in my garage or do I need to take it to the bike shop?

Any help is greatly apperciated...Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It's pretty easy really.

1. Remove one chainring from the front. (might need some bike tools)
    2. Install the spacers and the single cog at the back.
    3. Make sure the front chainring and rear cog is aligned by moving around the spacers.
    4. Get the chain on as tight as possible.

Install the tensioner on the rear hanger.

Tadaa!

meh... whatever
    you'll need some basic bike tools like metric hex wrenches, cassette lockring tool, chain breaking tool, chainwhip, and chainbolt tool (sometimes you can use a slotted screwdriver). you'll also need a wrench large enough to grip the lockring tool.

you'll also need either ss specific cr bolts, cr bolt spacers, or a bash guard. if you're getting ss bolts get the dual hex head rather than the hex/slot ones.

if you only have 2 hub spacers (L & R) you won't be able to fine tune your chainline, but it should be close enough. if not, individual spacers can be had at your lbs pretty cheap.

lockring tool and chainwhip to remove the cassette from the rear wheel and pop spacers on hub. chain braking tool to shorten the chain. hex wrenches to remove rings and swap out the rear der for the tensioner, remove front der, and remove shifty bits from the bars.

ride and smile!
    "I never TRY anything... I just do it." ~ Varla

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Oops, I figured he had all the tools handy.

OP, consider getting an 18 piece tool kit from X-tools or Bike Hand. They're all you ever need for basic stuff like removing cassette, bottom bracket, breaking the chain. I use mine to strip my frame down for cleaning and greasing.

Remember to post pics in the SS thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I ordered up the x-tools 18 piece kit from Chain reaction. On sale for less than 50 bucks. Thanks for the suggestion looks like a great entry level tool set