Thread: I wanna SS this

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I wanna SS this

Or maybe fatbike it... would be fun for about 2 mins until you realized how heavy it was.

MacGregor - 2 Wheel Drive Power Trac on velospace, the place for bikes

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Could be fun as a SS, you could probably shed 10# of weight really quickly by eliminating the junky drivetrain components. Might also be a good project to transplant the 2WD to another nicer frame, idea of a SS 2WD fatbike as a mud/rock crawler does have some appeal. It looks like the fork would need to be retained for it's custom mount (or duplicate the mount on a nicer steel fork). Is there anything proprietary about how the rear drive attaches to the frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Actually... minus the actual making of the drive gears for front and rear, I don't see it as overly complicated. I don't see why you couldn't use standard disc hubs and disc mounts for retaining the hardware... might be a little thin though.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Disk mounts would probably work fine, no way that the 2WD system can transmitt more torque than is generated by hard braking. Only difficulty is that the front/rear torque-tube mounts need to be on opposite sides of the frame unless you want the front wheel pedaling backwards. You would need to add a disk mount to the right side of fork or else perhaps move the rear drive gear onto the casette (which would help eliminate a seperate freewheel for the front)

details of a slightly nicer bike with this drivetrain at;
    1993 Legacy Ovation 2-Wheel Drive Bicycle

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Researching the 2WD, came across this website with great collection of oddity bikes;

Weird Bike Stuff

So many awesome ideas for bikes, these will all surely revolutionize the bike market, invest now while you can still get in early!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I wonder if it would be easier to use a standard hub in the rear (vs SS hub) and in lieu of a full spacer kit, have the drive ring made to fit a space width in the rear along side the cog. Weld on your mounts (or clamp style if you think it would be strong enough, use the existing disc mounts in the front with a disc adapter ring drive in the front and go go go....

Alternatively, heavy as it is, might be nice to use rim brakes in the rear with the ring drive on the brake side and weld the mount on the drive side in the front, retaining the disc brake in the front for a heavier bike...

Would be a fun project no doubt!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    cycles U.S. has a front hub designed for dual disks, one on each side (because one disk rotor is aparently not enough stopping power foir their awsome chopper bikes).
    Front Hub - Dual Disc CP - Cycles U.S. LLC/Choppers U.S.

You could use one side of the front hub for a regular brake disk, the other side to mount the drive-gear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'd like to say I'm gonna collect parts to one day try this, but the reality is I'll waste about $200 on off-the-wall crap that will sit in my spares bin for the next 5yrs until I toss them out because I forgot what I bought them for in the first place...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post
    I'd like to say I'm gonna collect parts to one day try this, but the reality is I'll waste about $200 on off-the-wall crap that will sit in my spares bin for the next 5yrs until I toss them out because I forgot what I bought them for in the first place...
    BTDT! My garage is a museum of abandon projects.
    I somewhat question the need for 2WD as an ultimate traction bike. On a 4" fatbike, I already have the traction to climb strait up such rediculously steep, sustained mountain dirt trails that just at a crawling pace I hit my lactate threshold and am exhausted in under 1 minute. Need more motor, not necessarily more traction on my fatbike. About the only scenario I can see this as a good thing is perhaps for climbing along side-slopes, might be a tiny bit of help to keep front end from washing out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Truth probably is the ONLY reason you would need this is for when you and your bike buddies are out in the back yard getting drunk, you can see who can ride the longest front wheelie...

mtbr member

Old picture of my Christini 2-wheel drive bike, but it hasn't chnaged much, just new brakes. Never tried SS'ing it though.