mtbr member
    Jul 2010

I think my hub is broken :(

But I've never broken a hub before, so I don't know exactly how it's supposed to feel.

It still works but engagement is *really* sloppy, like 20 or 30 degrees of pedal motion before it hooks up. I suspect maybe it popped on a steep incline and I assumed it was chain skip, and didn't think more about it because it never happened again. But now that I'm trying to ride on pavement around campus, the sloppiness is really bothersome (flat coasting, occasionally pumping a few times to maintain momentum, instead of being on the juice all the time like when I'm trail riding).

The hub is unmarked so I have no idea what brand it is. It's a single-speed dedicated freehub. Can the guts be replaced with the hub in place or am I going to have to learn to build a wheel?
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

meatier showers
    Hello LBS.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    unmarked single speed hub leads me to think that its a formula hub... if so it sounds alot like the free hub. what kind of bike is it on? mt GT came with formula hubs and they do that they will pop and then they are junk. lbs had a hell of a time fidning the free hubs also
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I got the wheelset on sale on eBay. I think the seller was Bikewagon. Supposedly OEM on some bike, but if they sold the set to me for $70 and presumably still made a profit, the hub can't have been that expensive. I was just hoping there was an obvious "Yup that's totally what a hub sounds like when it fails" answer so I could go ahead and start shopping for stuff instead of waiting for Friday when I'll have time to hit my LBS.
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    So I went on a small adventure to try and find a hex key that would get the freehub body off the hub, but no luck. It appears to require an 11mm...?

It turns out I misread my class schedule so I had time to swing by Performance and ask their mechanic about the hub. He said it felt fine, for a low-end freehub. Then I got home and checked my 8spd commuter again. It feels just as sloppy if I turn the cassette with my hand. But I guess since it's geared it feels different at the pedals?

I guess it makes sense since the SS is 32:16 and I'm usually in higher gears on the 1x8 commuter (38:16, 14, 12 and 11 most of the time). Lower gear means the pedals travel farther relative to the hub, especially if I'm already coasting and the freewheel has to "catch up" before engaging. So.. yeah everything's fine, I guess.

tl;dr: False alarm, sorry >_<

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    you tried a 10 mm and it didnt work? I thought they would all be the same size
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    you tried a 10 mm and it didnt work? I thought they would all be the same size
    Nope. Spins freely in there. I tried using a bolt head that I knew was 12mm but that was too big.

Unless it's... *gasp* SAE? Biggest one I had of those was 3/8" (infinitesimally larger than 10mm) and that didn't work either.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda
    Nope. Spins freely in there. I tried using a bolt head that I knew was 12mm but that was too big.

Unless it's... *gasp* SAE? Biggest one I had of those was 3/8" (infinitesimally larger than 10mm) and that didn't work either.

I doubt its SAE then again its quite possible for the 11 mm equivalent of SAE size to work.

I know craftsman sells allen key sockets so you might want to try there and get a buddy to let you borrow and impact gun because sometimes they are on there pretty tight. oh yea and torque to spec if you plan on replacing the freebody
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm not too worried about it anymore. I don't think it's broken after all. I shifted my 26er to 38:18 (as close as I can get to 2:1, also a gear I almost never use on that bike) and rode it around in front of my house. Felt just as sloppy. So I'll just chalk it up to the gearing difference between the two bikes (mostly the cog:tire ratio) and the fact that I ride them differently.

And if/when it finally does break for real, if it's one of those cheap Formula hubs, it won't be worth replacing the freehub body anyway, and I've always wanted to learn to build a wheel ^_^