Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I think I'm through being single.

7K views 107 replies 53 participants last post by  MellowCat 
#1 · (Edited)
It's been fun. It's been real. But single speeding has become too trendy for my taste.
The whole reason I started riding SS was to be doing something different. I built up my SS from scratch and it was once something to be proud of. Fancy boy store bought single speeds like the Gary Fischer RIG are putting my pride and joy to shame. Almost everyone in my neck of the woods has one, even if its not their main ride. And there deffinately isnt a "ooooh a single speed!" factor anymore. No more challenge of trying to keep up with the gearies on group rides, because everyone is on a freaking SS.

In my opinoin, it's just not cool anymore. After three years of riding single, I am starting to hold single speeds in the same regard as I do the yellow Armstrong wrist bands.

Flame on.

#2 ·
Hmmmm...

Maybe you started riding SS for the wrong reasons. I started riding SS about 13 years ago for the simplicity and to recharge my riding (and a way to revive an old race bike)... Being different was just a bonus, something that came with it but not the primary reason. I'll probably still be riding my beat up conversion SS 10 years from now (if my knees allow it) while everyone has gone back to riding bikes with 30 gears...
Just my $.02

#3 ·
Well, if you were just doing it to look cool or be different, then you probably weren't really enjoying it anyway. It seems every once in a while a single speeder renounces the concept, just because too many people are doing it now. I think that's silly. Single speeding grew in popularity for many reasons, not just because it was considered cool. Besides, there'll always be gearies to keep up with on rides, if that's your thing. But, if you insist you need to be different from the masses in order to enjoy your time, I think a mountain unicycle is in your future.

#11 ·
wow...you mean

i was cool once....because i rode a SS?

bling is bling, and fun is fun.

do what you like. and do it for the right reason. if you ride to be cool, figure out a way to be cool....I never thought that grown men riding bicycles could possibly be cool.

personally, but i dig it, and have always figured I do what I want, and for my own reasons....that is what makes a person cool IMO. doing what they want and not caring about the rest....confidence in your self.

If being in a crowded room makes you un cool....

is it more about the bike or the rider? if it is the bike....you may want to invest in some skills, then it the rider will stand out, and you wont have to rely on what you ride to make you cool.

Not really intending to flame here (though it may sound like it), I just think riding is about state of mind not social class.

ken - and I hope no one EVER thinks i am cool because of a material possession

#12 ·
What the...

Sh1t...SS'ing's not cool anymore??...WHERE THE H3LL IS MY MEMO?? :mad:

#13 ·
steevo said:
Well, if you were just doing it to look cool or be different, then you probably weren't really enjoying it anyway. It seems every once in a while a single speeder renounces the concept, just because too many people are doing it now. I think that's silly.
Well said. No wonder I usually ride alone and enjoy the heck out of it. Single speeding still reminds me of how much fun I had on one-gear BMX bikes, but the bigger wheels fit better with my age and where I like to ride now. So this is funny, but you need to do what you need to do to make your choices based on what you like, not anyone else's. I'm glad I was interested enough in what other people were doing to get into mountain bike single speeding, but I keep riding one gear because I like to. I don't have to explain it, you either get it or you don't. May not be for everyone, and who cares. And some days I feel like jumping on a geared bike. I like nice stuff that works well if I can get it, but I could care less what anyone thinks of what I ride, I'm not riding for anyone else. Selfish as it may sound, it's all about me when I get on my bike.

Whatever you ride, just ride.

Dave

#14 ·
Good riddance captain I'm too cool.

When you really think about it, being a non-conformist is much worse than being a conformist. A non-comformist deprives himself of wonderful things just to be different.

Be an individualist. Do what you want because it is what you want to do without regard to the rest of the world.

#16 ·
Sweet...

...I'm gettin' a memo on this!! :D

#18 ·
TPS Report...

TPS report...Well that's just going to complicate things.

#20 ·
Then...

...why not quit riding all together?

--Sparty

The Berryman said:
It's been fun. It's been real. But single speeding has become too trendy for my taste.
The whole reason I started riding SS was to be doing something different. I built up my SS from scratch and it was once something to be proud of. Fancy boy store bought single speeds like the Gary Fischer RIG are putting my pride and joy to shame. Almost everyone in my neck of the woods has one, even if its not their main ride. And there deffinately isnt a "ooooh a single speed!" factor anymore. No more challenge of trying to keep up with the gearies on group rides, because everyone is on a freaking SS.

In my opinoin, it's just not cool anymore. After three years of riding single, I am starting to hold single speeds in the same regard as I do the yellow Armstrong wrist bands.

Flame on.

#21 ·
wristbands

We need our own SS wristbands to let people know we ride SS when we are not riding. That would be really cool, having our own (different) wristband. It would be even cooler to be seen riding an SS while wearing the SS wristband.

Maybe special helmets too. Like the ones seen in the NFL with the extra foam on them. We could ride around with extra big helmets. ya, that's it.

funny thread, I'm enjoying it

#22 ·
Ha Ha Ha

mtbdirteater said:
Your avitar and your screen name are contradictory. :D

You back on the bike yet?

Dave
Ha Ha Ha, NOW THAT'S FUNNY!! :D
Not just yet...soon...as soon as Berryman says I'm cool even though I SS...that's when I'll get back on her!!

#24 ·
Ooooo....

striker said:
We need our own SS wristbands to let people know we ride SS when we are not riding. That would be really cool, having our own (different) wristband. It would be even cooler to be seen riding an SS while wearing the SS wristband.

Maybe special helmets too. Like the ones seen in the NFL with the extra foam on them. We could ride around with extra big helmets. ya, that's it.

funny thread, I'm enjoying it
I have the helmet (and am wearing it as I type, doc's orders you know...finally he got me to quit eating paiste)...NOW SIGN ME UP FOR THE BAND!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.