Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    i worship Mr T

i think i'm in love... (1st ride rept)

with my new pink lady.

now, get your mind out of the gutter. this isn't your run-of-the-mill read it in Hustler lesbian affair. no sir. this is pure unadulterated ssingletrack love of an inanimate object (just don't tell her i called her inanimate).

the weather finally cooperated on ssaturday for my inaugural ss ride. on friday night i did the last of my tweeking, shortened her chain, and reduced her wheelbase. she was so excited to go out for her first ride that she stood by the front door all night waiting.

i was accompanied by my friends, mr. meanpants on his ss voodoo and oscar on his converted ex-gearie. we picked a trail system near by (Dauset for those who know the area) and headed out around 11 am. the weather forcasters were threatening "frigid" temps and snow (which means that most of the population of the city was lined up at the grocery store stocking up on bread, eggs, milk, and bottled water - the southern staples for being house bound in the winter.....don't ask. i can't explain why southerners think 3 snow flakes are an excuse to make french toast. but i digress...) in fact, the weather was perfect. not a cloud in the sky and temps in the 50s.

after a quick photoshoot of me actually riding (sorry, haven't managed to download yet) we rolled out of the parking lot and into the woods.

the new bike felt a little weird. it's a slightly different position than i'm used to and for a little while i forgot that just because i didn't have gears didn't mean i didn't have brakes! (my brain works in truely mysterious ways.) but after my initial jitters i settled in.

the 34x18 gearing was perfect. i wasn't spinning out too badly on the flats and i could make nearly every climb. early on i even thought that maybe i should go with a 34x16 but fatigue quickly told me that would be a very bad idea.

the surly climbs and corners beautifully. even standing i rarely spun out - a small miracle given how leaf covered the trails are right now. there were a few short super steep climbs that i couldn't make but i don't make those climbs half the time on my geared bike because i'm always in the wrong gear! she was a little sketchy on the descents and this may be where i am feeling the extra inch of top tube i'm not used to. or it could be all the leaves. who knows.

we rode for 2 hrs. in & out of the trees, up and down the hills, over rocks and under branches. it was great. on the climbs i felt my HR soar (ok, it was more like i felt like puking, but it sounds better the other way), and my legs burn. only a few times did i find my right index finger scratching at the bar looking for a shifter. and by the end of our ride i felt like i had just done a killer sprint workout on the road, had seen nearly my max HR of the year (195), was thoroughly exhausted, and had a huge grin plastered all over my face.

can't wait to do it again.

rt
    Last edited by *rt*; 12-21-2004 at 12:40 PM.
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    now, get your mind out of the gutter. this isn't your run-of-the-mill read it in Hustler lesbian affair. no sir. this is pure unadulterated ssingletrack love of an inanimate object (just don't tell her i called her inanimate).
    She don't look dirty enough for Hus ... to have been ridden very hard ...

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    She don't look dirty enough for Hus ... to have been ridden very hard ...

Kn.
    dry trails.

that's my excuse & i'm sticking to it.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

paintbucket
    C'mon, get to the good stuff. Did you drink more beer afterwards than usual?
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Kill your... television
    It sounds excellent! Don't you just love that new bike smell? Don't worry, pretty soon you won't be reaching for that trigger. You will get annoyed by all of that chain slap and racket when/if you ride your gearie again.

I expect some down and dirty "ride" photos...

Moto

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    C'mon, get to the good stuff. Did you drink more beer afterwards than usual?
    LOL! no, but i sold my old FS frame and went out to dinner. does that count?

rt

the cool nerd

isn't it

addictive...the perfect drug...

btw, when I was a southern boy, all preparations for events that would lead towards being house bound involved beer.. can't have french toast without beer. Now that I live out west, it still revolves around beer, but with the surprise storms that can spring up (sort of like now) you have to live up to that boy scout motto and always keep good beer on hand (an sser version of be prepared)

guess that I'll see you and the pink streak in Fruita, at least until you drop me

scott

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman711
    It sounds excellent! Don't you just love that new bike smell? Don't worry, pretty soon you won't be reaching for that trigger. You will get annoyed by all of that chain slap and racket when/if you ride your gearie again.

I expect some down and dirty "ride" photos...

Moto
    mmmm.....new bike smell.

i'll see what i can do about those photos.

rt

mtbr member

Congrats

Congrats on your first SSing experience. Now go forth and preach the gospel of one speed bike riding to others.

mtbr member
    the new bike felt a little weird. it's a slightly different position than i'm used to and for a little while i forgot that just because i didn't have gears didn't mean i didn't have brakes! (my brain works in truely mysterious ways.) but after my initial jitters i settled in.

rt
    HA! I did the same silly thing. I had a few instances on my first ride where my brain briefly thought there were no brakes.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    addictive...the perfect drug...

btw, when I was a southern boy, all preparations for events that would lead towards being house bound involved beer.. can't have french toast without beer. Now that I live out west, it still revolves around beer, but with the surprise storms that can spring up (sort of like now) you have to live up to that boy scout motto and always keep good beer on hand (an sser version of be prepared)

guess that I'll see you and the pink streak in Fruita, at least until you drop me

scott
    very!!

no, those preparations only started around college. then we just skipped the french toast & beer and went straight for hard liquor. i'm not sure i've ever had french toast and beer. is it anything like beer and corn flakes?

ha ha. you're funny.

rt - currently has a very nice selection of local brews in her fridge.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnpat
    Congrats on your first SSing experience. Now go forth and preach the gospel of one speed bike riding to others.
    thanks. i've already started my preaching.

rt

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese
    HA! I did the same silly thing. I had a few instances on my first ride where my brain briefly thought there were no brakes.
    LOL! glad to hear i'm not the only one to think such a strange thing. as i started to pick up speed at the beginning of the ride i suddenly paniced thinking that i couldn't slow down. i think i actually reminded myself out loud that i still had brakes!

rt

try driving your car less
    sounds great. you might know this already, but I suggest you go and retighten the chainring and crank bolts. They sometimes can creak because they are a little loose after it all beds in.
    Took me forever to figure that out.
    Only boring people get bored.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    sounds great. you might know this already, but I suggest you go and retighten the chainring and crank bolts. They sometimes can creak because they are a little loose after it all beds in.
    Took me forever to figure that out.
    will do. thanks.

rt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nothing to do with brakes

Quote: "LOL! glad to hear i'm not the only one to think such a strange thing. as i started to pick up speed at the beginning of the ride i suddenly paniced thinking that i couldn't slow down. i think i actually reminded myself out loud that i still had brakes!

rt"

That was the feeling of riding a single. You will go faster!

Good for you. Did you bring the boa? Ready for Knobschorcher yet?
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Des(s)ert Rat
    BooooTeeeeFulll!

Can't wait to see her in person. Still looking for a 4th rider. Mynette is going to turn her YBBeat into an ss!

Probably drunk right now

Ridin' the Pink Pony....

Very nice. Thanks for the hit.

Were your forearms very sore? As I recall, mine felt like they were on fire for about the 1st week.

Ken

pewpewpew Moderator
    Congrats rt! SSing is fun, and addictive! I found it was both easier and harder than I expected.

I remembered I had brakes, but i found i kept reaching for the shifter on flats. Oddly enough never on climbs.

Des(s)ert Rat
    i found i kept reaching for the shifter on flats. Oddly enough never on climbs.
    Me, too! Hey wanna come race in Fruita this spring?

mtbr member
    That is a beautiful Surly - just curious was that a custom paint job or can you order them in Pink??

"Mr. Britannica"

4 words

I told you so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Sweet!

34x16 sounds rather ambitious. Keep posting your ride reports. I have a feeling the new RacerX is going to feel a little deprived, maybe even neglected.

Jabberwocky Jockey
    thoroughly exhausted, and had a huge grin plastered all over my face.

can't wait to do it again.

rt
    (Sniff, a single tear falls to the desk)

Isn't it great.
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    Quote: "LOL! glad to hear i'm not the only one to think such a strange thing. as i started to pick up speed at the beginning of the ride i suddenly paniced thinking that i couldn't slow down. i think i actually reminded myself out loud that i still had brakes!

rt"

That was the feeling of riding a single. You will go faster!

Good for you. Did you bring the boa? Ready for Knobschorcher yet?
    ah, that explains it!

i did bring the boa and there's even a picture. i just haven't had a chance to download it yet.

hahahaha....no, not quite ready for knobscorcher. give me another month or 5!

rt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast