Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    i worship Mr T

i think i'm in love... (1st ride rept)

with my new pink lady.

now, get your mind out of the gutter. this isn't your run-of-the-mill read it in Hustler lesbian affair. no sir. this is pure unadulterated ssingletrack love of an inanimate object (just don't tell her i called her inanimate).

the weather finally cooperated on ssaturday for my inaugural ss ride. on friday night i did the last of my tweeking, shortened her chain, and reduced her wheelbase. she was so excited to go out for her first ride that she stood by the front door all night waiting.

i was accompanied by my friends, mr. meanpants on his ss voodoo and oscar on his converted ex-gearie. we picked a trail system near by (Dauset for those who know the area) and headed out around 11 am. the weather forcasters were threatening "frigid" temps and snow (which means that most of the population of the city was lined up at the grocery store stocking up on bread, eggs, milk, and bottled water - the southern staples for being house bound in the winter.....don't ask. i can't explain why southerners think 3 snow flakes are an excuse to make french toast. but i digress...) in fact, the weather was perfect. not a cloud in the sky and temps in the 50s.

after a quick photoshoot of me actually riding (sorry, haven't managed to download yet) we rolled out of the parking lot and into the woods.

the new bike felt a little weird. it's a slightly different position than i'm used to and for a little while i forgot that just because i didn't have gears didn't mean i didn't have brakes! (my brain works in truely mysterious ways.) but after my initial jitters i settled in.

the 34x18 gearing was perfect. i wasn't spinning out too badly on the flats and i could make nearly every climb. early on i even thought that maybe i should go with a 34x16 but fatigue quickly told me that would be a very bad idea.

the surly climbs and corners beautifully. even standing i rarely spun out - a small miracle given how leaf covered the trails are right now. there were a few short super steep climbs that i couldn't make but i don't make those climbs half the time on my geared bike because i'm always in the wrong gear! she was a little sketchy on the descents and this may be where i am feeling the extra inch of top tube i'm not used to. or it could be all the leaves. who knows.

we rode for 2 hrs. in & out of the trees, up and down the hills, over rocks and under branches. it was great. on the climbs i felt my HR soar (ok, it was more like i felt like puking, but it sounds better the other way), and my legs burn. only a few times did i find my right index finger scratching at the bar looking for a shifter. and by the end of our ride i felt like i had just done a killer sprint workout on the road, had seen nearly my max HR of the year (195), was thoroughly exhausted, and had a huge grin plastered all over my face.

can't wait to do it again.

rt
    Last edited by *rt*; 12-21-2004 at 12:40 PM.
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    now, get your mind out of the gutter. this isn't your run-of-the-mill read it in Hustler lesbian affair. no sir. this is pure unadulterated ssingletrack love of an inanimate object (just don't tell her i called her inanimate).
    She don't look dirty enough for Hus ... to have been ridden very hard ...

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    She don't look dirty enough for Hus ... to have been ridden very hard ...

Kn.
    dry trails.

that's my excuse & i'm sticking to it.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

paintbucket
    C'mon, get to the good stuff. Did you drink more beer afterwards than usual?
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Kill your... television
    It sounds excellent! Don't you just love that new bike smell? Don't worry, pretty soon you won't be reaching for that trigger. You will get annoyed by all of that chain slap and racket when/if you ride your gearie again.

I expect some down and dirty "ride" photos...

Moto

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    C'mon, get to the good stuff. Did you drink more beer afterwards than usual?
    LOL! no, but i sold my old FS frame and went out to dinner. does that count?

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

the cool nerd

isn't it

addictive...the perfect drug...

btw, when I was a southern boy, all preparations for events that would lead towards being house bound involved beer.. can't have french toast without beer. Now that I live out west, it still revolves around beer, but with the surprise storms that can spring up (sort of like now) you have to live up to that boy scout motto and always keep good beer on hand (an sser version of be prepared)

guess that I'll see you and the pink streak in Fruita, at least until you drop me

scott

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman711
    It sounds excellent! Don't you just love that new bike smell? Don't worry, pretty soon you won't be reaching for that trigger. You will get annoyed by all of that chain slap and racket when/if you ride your gearie again.

I expect some down and dirty "ride" photos...

Moto
    mmmm.....new bike smell.

i'll see what i can do about those photos.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member

Congrats

Congrats on your first SSing experience. Now go forth and preach the gospel of one speed bike riding to others.

mtbr member
    the new bike felt a little weird. it's a slightly different position than i'm used to and for a little while i forgot that just because i didn't have gears didn't mean i didn't have brakes! (my brain works in truely mysterious ways.) but after my initial jitters i settled in.

rt
    HA! I did the same silly thing. I had a few instances on my first ride where my brain briefly thought there were no brakes.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    addictive...the perfect drug...

btw, when I was a southern boy, all preparations for events that would lead towards being house bound involved beer.. can't have french toast without beer. Now that I live out west, it still revolves around beer, but with the surprise storms that can spring up (sort of like now) you have to live up to that boy scout motto and always keep good beer on hand (an sser version of be prepared)

guess that I'll see you and the pink streak in Fruita, at least until you drop me

scott
    very!!

no, those preparations only started around college. then we just skipped the french toast & beer and went straight for hard liquor. i'm not sure i've ever had french toast and beer. is it anything like beer and corn flakes?

ha ha. you're funny.

rt - currently has a very nice selection of local brews in her fridge.

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnpat
    Congrats on your first SSing experience. Now go forth and preach the gospel of one speed bike riding to others.
    thanks. i've already started my preaching.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese
    HA! I did the same silly thing. I had a few instances on my first ride where my brain briefly thought there were no brakes.
    LOL! glad to hear i'm not the only one to think such a strange thing. as i started to pick up speed at the beginning of the ride i suddenly paniced thinking that i couldn't slow down. i think i actually reminded myself out loud that i still had brakes!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

try driving your car less
    sounds great. you might know this already, but I suggest you go and retighten the chainring and crank bolts. They sometimes can creak because they are a little loose after it all beds in.
    Took me forever to figure that out.
    Only boring people get bored.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    sounds great. you might know this already, but I suggest you go and retighten the chainring and crank bolts. They sometimes can creak because they are a little loose after it all beds in.
    Took me forever to figure that out.
    will do. thanks.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nothing to do with brakes

Quote: "LOL! glad to hear i'm not the only one to think such a strange thing. as i started to pick up speed at the beginning of the ride i suddenly paniced thinking that i couldn't slow down. i think i actually reminded myself out loud that i still had brakes!

rt"

That was the feeling of riding a single. You will go faster!

Good for you. Did you bring the boa? Ready for Knobschorcher yet?
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Des(s)ert Rat
    BooooTeeeeFulll!

Can't wait to see her in person. Still looking for a 4th rider. Mynette is going to turn her YBBeat into an ss!

Probably drunk right now

Ridin' the Pink Pony....

Very nice. Thanks for the hit.

Were your forearms very sore? As I recall, mine felt like they were on fire for about the 1st week.

Ken

pewpewpew Moderator
    Congrats rt! SSing is fun, and addictive! I found it was both easier and harder than I expected.

I remembered I had brakes, but i found i kept reaching for the shifter on flats. Oddly enough never on climbs.

Des(s)ert Rat
    i found i kept reaching for the shifter on flats. Oddly enough never on climbs.
    Me, too! Hey wanna come race in Fruita this spring?

mtbr member
    That is a beautiful Surly - just curious was that a custom paint job or can you order them in Pink??

"Mr. Britannica"

4 words

I told you so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Sweet!

34x16 sounds rather ambitious. Keep posting your ride reports. I have a feeling the new RacerX is going to feel a little deprived, maybe even neglected.

Jabberwocky Jockey
    thoroughly exhausted, and had a huge grin plastered all over my face.

can't wait to do it again.

rt
    (Sniff, a single tear falls to the desk)

Isn't it great.
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    Quote: "LOL! glad to hear i'm not the only one to think such a strange thing. as i started to pick up speed at the beginning of the ride i suddenly paniced thinking that i couldn't slow down. i think i actually reminded myself out loud that i still had brakes!

rt"

That was the feeling of riding a single. You will go faster!

Good for you. Did you bring the boa? Ready for Knobschorcher yet?
    ah, that explains it!

i did bring the boa and there's even a picture. i just haven't had a chance to download it yet.

hahahaha....no, not quite ready for knobscorcher. give me another month or 5!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    BooooTeeeeFulll!

Can't wait to see her in person. Still looking for a 4th rider. Mynette is going to turn her YBBeat into an ss!
    -insert big grin here-

thanks! can't wait to show her off in person.

hmmm....4th person. i think i mentioned to little b that if she didn't want to go solo she could join us. but, she's probably out-burlying us by going ssolo.

i'll keep thinking....

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Very nice. Thanks for the hit.

Were your forearms very sore? As I recall, mine felt like they were on fire for about the 1st week.

Ken
    not my forearms but all the muscles across my back between my shoulder blades!! i was really surprised that i wasn't sore sunday morning but apart from having tired arms they weren't sore.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    Congrats rt! SSing is fun, and addictive! I found it was both easier and harder than I expected.

I remembered I had brakes, but i found i kept reaching for the shifter on flats. Oddly enough never on climbs.
    exactly! it was easier & harder than i thought it would be. i thought i'd have a lot more trouble from the very start but instead i just found that i fatigued faster than normal.

funny, the times i reached for the shifter was either on the flats or just at the bottom of a descent when i would be transitioning to the flats. never on the up hill. weird!

thanks impy!

rt

ps - yes, come do 18 hrs of fruita with us!!!!

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by CTRider
    That is a beautiful Surly - just curious was that a custom paint job or can you order them in Pink??
    thanks!! nope, not a custom paint job. there was a limited edition run in pink and a couple places still have a few left. when we called surly directly they said they were out of stock. i got mine through webcyclery. i got the last XS pink frame they had and they were awesome about communicating & getting it out to me fast. props to them for awesome customer service!!

btw, i just ordered the frame. the rest of the build was from stuff i had lying around....well, except for the pink headset.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    I told you so.
    so you did.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyinNY
    34x16 sounds rather ambitious. Keep posting your ride reports. I have a feeling the new RacerX is going to feel a little deprived, maybe even neglected.
    yeah, i'm thinking i should wait until i've ridden a few more trails before i make up my mind about switching out cogs. once i get into some real hills i think i'm going to be wishing for more like a 19 or 20 rather than an 18.

shhhh! don't say that about the Racer X. the guys at Titus are already trying to convince me to get an FCR or HCR!!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck
    (Sniff, a single tear falls to the desk)

Isn't it great.
    it is, indeed.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

paintbucket
    not my forearms but all the muscles across my back between my shoulder blades!! i was really surprised that i wasn't sore sunday morning but apart from having tired arms they weren't sore.

rt
    I've been thinking that your bar looks pretty narrow, and the sore muscles may be symptomatic of that. With a wider bar I notice I use less upper back and more lower back when climbing. Might be worth trying a wider bar if you've go access to one.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

the cool nerd

just wait

when you cach the bigger bug, and replace that silver squishy fork with that B-E-A-utiful pink fork with no squishiness that's undoubtebly hanign on a wall in your abode, the cernterpiece of conversation of everyone that visits.

Not only will you recover all of the wasted effort loss to squishing will climbing, but you'll understand why everyone is asking about your forearms...

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    I've been thinking that your bar looks pretty narrow, and the sore muscles may be symptomatic of that. With a wider bar I notice I use less upper back and more lower back when climbing. Might be worth trying a wider bar if you've go access to one.
    it's a relatively narrow bar - 21" - though you have to consider the fact that my shoulders are only about 16" wide. i cut it down for my race bike...actually, i've cut all of my bars down to 21" (and i must have at least 2 spare bars sitting in my parts bin), but a longer bar might not be such a bad idea. i'll look into it.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

i worship Mr T
    when you cach the bigger bug, and replace that silver squishy fork with that B-E-A-utiful pink fork with no squishiness that's undoubtebly hanign on a wall in your abode, the cernterpiece of conversation of everyone that visits.

Not only will you recover all of the wasted effort loss to squishing will climbing, but you'll understand why everyone is asking about your forearms...
    yup, that pink rigid fork makes for lovely art. one of the guys i rode with on sat had full rigid and i thought by the end of the ride he was going to cry. remember all those roots in FL? yeah, add those roots to the GA chunks of granite and you've got some pretty brutal trails. on the other hand, the stuff you ride is pretty rocky as well, but you are a sstud.

rt - not a sstudly as ssportssman

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Probably drunk right now

I'm a big fan of rigid..

yup, that pink rigid fork makes for lovely art. one of the guys i rode with on sat had full rigid and i thought by the end of the ride he was going to cry. remember all those roots in FL? yeah, add those roots to the GA chunks of granite and you've got some pretty brutal trails. on the other hand, the stuff you ride is pretty rocky as well, but you are a sstud.

rt - not a sstudly as ssportssman
    But my joints aren't, so I ride squishy w/ an air fork max'ed out to bail me out when I choose poor lines or am riding too slow.

You may want to give it a go some time just to see if it's something you'd be interested in.

I know you know about bar width, etc. already, but I agree that you may want to go with a wider bar than what you're running for the extra leverage.

I guess we have a date for April so you and Sarah can ride me in to the ground. I'll see you then.

Ken

i worship Mr T
    But my joints aren't, so I ride squishy w/ an air fork max'ed out to bail me out when I choose poor lines or am riding too slow.

You may want to give it a go some time just to see if it's something you'd be interested in.

I know you know about bar width, etc. already, but I agree that you may want to go with a wider bar than what you're running for the extra leverage.

I guess we have a date for April so you and Sarah can ride me in to the ground. I'll see you then.

Ken
    if at some point i decide i need to increase the pain factor in my riding i'll give the rigid fork a shot, but i think it will be a little while before i convince myself that i need to go that route.

i'll look into the wider bars. more leverage would be nice.

cool! but, more than likely Sarah will be riding BOTH of us into the ground!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Probably drunk right now

A solution...

if at some point i decide i need to increase the pain factor in my riding i'll give the rigid fork a shot, but i think it will be a little while before i convince myself that i need to go that route.

i'll look into the wider bars. more leverage would be nice.

cool! but, more than likely Sarah will be riding BOTH of us into the ground!

rt
    I'll bring a frame pump on the ride. That will fix her.

i worship Mr T
    I'll bring a frame pump on the ride. That will fix her.
    LOL! but then how are we going to find our way back? maybe we can just tie one leg behind her back? that should slow her down some.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Probably drunk right now

Unlikely

LOL! but then how are we going to find our way back? maybe we can just tie one leg behind her back? that should slow her down some.

rt
    She's very flexible. Once she's off her bike and dealing with broken spokes, a wobbly wheel and a concussion, I figure I'll be able to keep up with her. And so we're clear, I'm offering to do this out of love, not hate. I have only good intentions.

Ken

Des(s)ert Rat
    You guys are ruthless! I'll keep the rigid fork and we'll call it even. Although I'll be hardpressed to believe that I can out do Ms. rt.

i worship Mr T

hee hee

You guys are ruthless! I'll keep the rigid fork and we'll call it even. Although I'll be hardpressed to believe that I can out do Ms. rt.
    letting you keep the rigid fork is a lot easier than trying to hog tie you and get you back on your bike.

HA! i have no doubt that you could leave me in your dust and not even notice i was gone!

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

best of both worlds

On the fork thing, my first two mtbs were rigid and I distinctly remember how much more relaxed and in control I was when I got my first Rockshox. I now have what I consider to be the best of both worlds: a WB .8 with a lockout for going up. I would never recommend going rigid for someone with slight upper body, like females and me (I have some of the skinniest arms and wrist around, including females!) after my evolution on forks. Just food for thought!

Probably drunk right now

er....

Shouldn't you be preparing to receive your punk lesbian sister?

Be sure to eat a bunch of Xmas cookies and plenty of ice cream this holiday season, dear.

Ken

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by HHL
    On the fork thing, my first two mtbs were rigid and I distinctly remember how much more relaxed and in control I was when I got my first Rockshox. I now have what I consider to be the best of both worlds: a WB .8 with a lockout for going up. I would never recommend going rigid for someone with slight upper body, like females and me (I have some of the skinniest arms and wrist around, including females!) after my evolution on forks. Just food for thought!
    a lockout would be nice but the marz was sitting around in the parts bin and didn't cost me a dime to put on the bike!

i'm inclined to agree with you on the issue of rigid. i've got a pretty wimpy upper body and an old shoulder injury to boot. think i'll stick with a little squish in front until i'm feeling really burly.

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Jabberwocky Jockey
    I went through the same thing with the fork. I rode rigid for 3 years and just changed in the last month

Although I really liked aspects of the rigid fork (solid handling, no-bob climbing out-of -saddle e.t.c), it was really starting to beat me up. When I first built a singlespeed, I never dreamed I'd be riding it where I now ride it, mainly long, rough descents.
    After the change, I really wish I'd done it sooner. I do notice the bob a little on rolling stuff where it's not really feasable to lock it out but it's not really that bad and on long fire road type stuff, I can lock it out and everyone goes home happy.
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

the cool nerd
    [
    i'm inclined to agree with you on the issue of rigid. i've got a pretty wimpy upper body and an old shoulder injury to boot. think i'll stick with a little squish in front until i'm feeling really burly.

rt
    I get it. I forget about that aspect, since my upper body is just so HUGE

course, I do have suspension on my other ss, which is what I ride for really long rides, or particularly rough rides. 'sides, I think that my 1x1 frame flexes enough that I get almost as smooth a ride as my Truth (not at the moment), and definitely smoother than my ol' GF Sugar 1 did.

it's all good, and my gf LHRAO at me. I made the transition from HT to FS when I started racing (ie, paying to ride) the longer endurance events. My stumpjumper just used to beat me up so bad, i bit the bullet and added lbs for comfort. but now, I've reverted back to HT with one of them completely rigid. My body doesn't feel as abused anymore, although it doesn't recover as quickly, which I credit to better technique, even though XTRKona would disagree with that claim

oh well..guess I'm ramblin' now. just ride what you bring, and smile a lot (even if it really hurts)

scott

i worship Mr T

Lol!

[

I get it. I forget about that aspect, since my upper body is just so HUGE

course, I do have suspension on my other ss, which is what I ride for really long rides, or particularly rough rides. 'sides, I think that my 1x1 frame flexes enough that I get almost as smooth a ride as my Truth (not at the moment), and definitely smoother than my ol' GF Sugar 1 did.

it's all good, and my gf LHRAO at me. I made the transition from HT to FS when I started racing (ie, paying to ride) the longer endurance events. My stumpjumper just used to beat me up so bad, i bit the bullet and added lbs for comfort. but now, I've reverted back to HT with one of them completely rigid. My body doesn't feel as abused anymore, although it doesn't recover as quickly, which I credit to better technique, even though XTRKona would disagree with that claim

oh well..guess I'm ramblin' now. just ride what you bring, and smile a lot (even if it really hurts)

scott
    yeah, but you're such a stud that upper body doesn't matter. right?

rt

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

the cool nerd
    just always smile..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast