Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I Need A 21" (XL) SS Frame For 26" Wheels!!!

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Moonshine 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have been bitten by the SS bug but I want to use some existing parts I have from my current 26" FS bike before I spend a lot on a new 29er. And I want a SS-specific frame so I won't have to run a tensioner, (ruins the minimalist look IMO). I've been scouring the web for used SS frames, and I've found a few, just not any in XL. For reference I'm 6'-4" tall with a 34" inseam, so I need a big frame.

All that being stated, can anyone here put me on a good, cheap frame? Thanks in advance for the help!

#2 ·
Try scouring the classifieds here. You should be able to find Surly 1x1's for a good price.

But IMO, you should hold off on spending any money on a 26" frame and try to demo a 29er. Most people your height just "fit" better on a 29er. Some bike shops have demos that they lend out, so try calling around. Maybe an mtbr member in your area will let you take his for a spin.

#3 ·
I'd suggest biting the bullet and finding a 29er SS with a rigid fork, used or maybe new. 29+SS+rigid is a perfect and timeless combination of things, and pretty friggin' cheap. Keep the 26er FS and install a wider riser bar, shorter stem, and burly tubeless tires on it (as a nice complement). Just a thought...

#4 ·
I agree with looking at the 29er. I am 6'3" with a 33" inseam and I was on a 21" jamis 26er and the bike was just talll and bulky feeling. I recently picked up a 300$ SS and have been riding that exclusively. There is something about the 29er that makes me feel like I am in the bike rather than on top of it. Also, it handles much better than my 26" bike and climbs a ton better too!

#5 ·
Like everyone else said, go 29er. I'm also 6'3" 34" inseam and just went 29er SS about a month ago. Was previously riding a 21" XL 26er and I can honestly say I'll never go back to 26 (unless a DJ). 29er is so much more stable for us big guys. It doesn't feel "bigger", it feels like it "fits".

#6 ·
Alright Guys,

You talked me into a 29er! Ordered one of THE LAST (mabe just 2 left in stock?) 2011 Units in a 22" frame and I can't wait for it to get here! My LBS is going to try and sell my current 26" FS bike (anyone interested in a like-new 12 year-old DBR X2?), and I got a great deal, so this was definitely the right thing to do!

Now I just have to pedal the damn thing! I plan on getting a Brooks saddle for it, and a squishy fork down the road, but for now I'm just happy it's on the way! Thanks to everyone who posted here; you bunch of enablers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.