mtbr member
    May 2004

I love my ugly fixie

I haven't had a rd bike for a long time. I didn't think I needed or wanted one. Last month I got this bike, it has changed my life. It's not much to look at but it's no issue and bomb proof. I have a long flat commute, 11 miles one way, this bike is a lot faster than the mtn bikes I used to ride to work.

I work at Pauls bike shop in Eugene. All the mechanics there ride single speeds or fixed gear bikes. It rains a lot and right now it's cold, in the low 30's, I love my climits, I only wear fingerless gloves. Funny we don't sell climits at the shop, I brought these up from Arizona.

I still prefere mtn bars over drops, climits fit on no issue. I don't like full fenders, I install them all the time on customers bikes. Don't like the way they rub and rattle so I use my mtn bike splash guards.

Paul had this 62cm frame and fork in the shop for 6 years, I picked it up cheap. One of the mechanics sold me his fixie wheels. I like huge gears, I hate to spin and I don't have to climb much on my commute. I but it together with discount parts from the shop, I only paid $400 not counting the climits, fenders, lights, computer,mirror, barends and pump.

I've got about 600 miles on it. One flat. No other mechanicals. It's got a 48x16 gear. At 20 mph I'm cranking a comfy 88 rpm. I wish fixies and ss's were all we sold at Pauls. It sure simplifies things.

I don't have a rear brake, I use my pedal brakes and rarely use the front brake. It's got 28c conti tires and surly hubs, the big long thin steel tubes absorb shock very nice. I am learning to get up curbs without smacking my rear wheel, that's the hardest thing to learn.

I got a mp3 player for xmas, now I really enjoy riding to and from work cranking my big gear and listening to my fav tunes. I don't think I could ride a fw ss to work anymore, I'm a die hard fixie man now. The whole bike with all the crap on it weighs 25.5#. I carry a messenger bag with lunch, rain gear and tools, another 8# or so.

I don't understand why fixies are not the rage, once you try it you won't go back. I can brake no matter where my hands are on the bars. I have a lot of hand positions. When I look at these pics of my huge bike I think what a ugly looking bike, but it rides like a dream. So quiet and efficient, so practicle.

Riding my fixie kinda makes up for my 2x2 I ride off road these days.

I'm fixed now.......................Lef-T
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004

my fixie a side view

the ugly beast. I found the pony on the Lawler trail.

Quote Originally Posted by lef-t
    I haven't had a rd bike for a long time. I didn't think I needed or wanted one. Last month I got this bike, it has changed my life. It's not much to look at but it's no issue and bomb proof. I have a long flat commute, 11 miles one way, this bike is a lot faster than the mtn bikes I used to ride to work.

I work at Pauls bike shop in Eugene. All the mechanics there ride single speeds or fixed gear bikes. It rains a lot and right now it's cold, in the low 30's, I love my climits, I only wear fingerless gloves. Funny we don't sell climits at the shop, I brought these up from Arizona.

I still prefere mtn bars over drops, climits fit on no issue. I don't like full fenders, I install them all the time on customers bikes. Don't like the way they rub and rattle so I use my mtn bike splash guards.

Paul had this 62cm frame and fork in the shop for 6 years, I picked it up cheap. One of the mechanics sold me his fixie wheels. I like huge gears, I hate to spin and I don't have to climb much on my commute. I but it together with discount parts from the shop, I only paid $400 not counting the climits, fenders, lights, computer,mirror, barends and pump.

I've got about 600 miles on it. One flat. No other mechanicals. It's got a 48x16 gear. At 20 mph I'm cranking a comfy 88 rpm. I wish fixies and ss's were all we sold at Pauls. It sure simplifies things.

I don't have a rear brake, I use my pedal brakes and rarely use the front brake. It's got 28c conti tires and surly hubs, the big long thin steel tubes absorb shock very nice. I am learning to get up curbs without smacking my rear wheel, that's the hardest thing to learn.

I got a mp3 player for xmas, now I really enjoy riding to and from work cranking my big gear and listening to my fav tunes. I don't think I could ride a fw ss to work anymore, I'm a die hard fixie man now. The whole bike with all the crap on it weighs 25.5#. I carry a messenger bag with lunch, rain gear and tools, another 8# or so.

I don't understand why fixies are not the rage, once you try it you won't go back. I can brake no matter where my hands are on the bars. I have a lot of hand positions. When I look at these pics of my huge bike I think what a ugly looking bike, but it rides like a dream. So quiet and efficient, so practicle.

mtbr member
    I wish fixies and ss's were all we sold at Pauls. It sure simplifies things.
    And then Paul's could simplify the employees. OOPS.

paintbucket
    I don't understand why fixies are not the rage, once you try it you won't go back.
    I've gone back, at least for commuting. My commute is short and in town, and my geared mtb with slicks is the weapon of choice in that situation. That fact is brought home everytime someone points a car at me and I get ready to evade. My first reaction is to get up, level the pedals, and assume the attack position. When I try that on the fix I'm always in for a rude awakening. Yeah, I know in time I'll get used to it, but its a steep learning curve and I can't afford the mistakes that are likely to happen along the way, a point that was driven home when I nose wheelied the fix at 20mph down a hill. I'm just happy the pedals didn't release that time.

Different strokes for different folks though. I love the fix on the open road, and have nothing but respect for folks who ride them in traffic.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Next step - fixie offroading?

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

dude that bike is gawd daam ugly

And grimy. and lots of junk hanging off it. very cool.
    I want one.

keep moving

I like to ride bikes!

Love mine too...

Mine came straight from the trash can at my LBS. Mystery brand French roadie. Bought a fixie wheel and scavenged some parts from here and there and da da!!!
    $80.00 invested and she rides like a dream. I've onlyriden it about 30 miles on open county roads. Thought of fixed in the city is still crazy!

Candlestick Maker
    fixed is fun. I have a little more invested in this "junker" due to the moustache bars, brooks saddle, and Kogswell/Open Pro wheelset, but it is still a budget build. I just use mine for tooling around, no commuting with this bike. Gotta get a front brake on there before I hurt myself...

baker

mtbr member

And yes, I love mine too!

Mine's a Miele from back when I lived in Canada eh, purchased for $5 from a garage sale.I used to commute on it but it had narrow straight bars and gears! I turned it into a singlespeed last spring for a few weeks and then went fixed and haven't looked back! I love it! Something about riding my fixie in traffic during my lunch hour rides brings me back to my days as a messenger. Best thing about my fixie is I stripped, rattle canned it and built it all myself. Yay me! I'm thinking of getting it powdercoated though this winter...

A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"