75% Mountain cycle

I got my Phobia Anxiety Frame from Universal

I had a lot of questions about this frame and the web site says nothing really so I though I'd pass my observations along. I got it yesterday, the True Temper cromo version for $89, and it looks really sweet. Mine had V-brake mounts (in addtion to the disc mounts) so I plan on the ENO rear wheel treatment. It looks suprisingly like a KHS team cromo frame and measures the same as far as I can tell. The 19" I ordered ended up being 20" center of BB to top of seat tube so they run big. The top tube came in just over 23" c-c. It came with a seat clamp too = NICE! The welds look very good and the down tube is tear droped. And, so you know, the "Phobia" and the "Anxiety" stickers are under clear coat so they don't just peal off. The paint was fine, gloss black can't go wrong.

I'll be able to weigh it this weekend for an exact weight down to the gram. I'll also take some pics when I get some batteries for the camera.

The only hard feelings I had is Universal charged me $25.50 for shipping.

I hope this helps if anyone was considering this frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Candlestick Maker
    I just ordered the 17" and will also report on it when I get it. Looks like a pretty
    sweet deal. I'll try to set it up tensionerless but will go with an ENO if necessary.

baker

I like cars too
    Mar 2004
    Call me a newbie if you need to, but could you please post a link to where you got this frame? It looks like a sweet deal and I want a light ss bike to go with the beefy one.

Candlestick Maker

Universal Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by hardrockinG20
    Call me a newbie if you need to, but could you please post a link to where you got this frame? It looks like a sweet deal and I want a light ss bike to go with the beefy one.
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...2&category=452

True Temper OX Ultra II butted tubing, BUT it has vertical dropouts.

baker

I like cars too
    Mar 2004
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Any more thoughts about this frame now that you've had it a while? I'm thinking of ordering one myself.

Also if you had any more dimensions for the 19" that would be great.

Thanks

75% Mountain cycle
    I've only checked one other dimension, the chain stays are close to 16.750". I have not been able to start building it up as I just got a one of those Fetish/Soul Cycles frames with the horizontal dropouts last week.

I've seen other Threads where they are running 32x18 gear combo without a tensioner but the chain is slightly loose. I think ENO may be the way to go. I've also heard 36x18 works but is tight and may require a little (1/32" or less) filing in the drops (on BB side of drops). You know a little bit goes a long way when you are filing the drops so be carefull. I've attached a photo of prestine file job I saw here on this site a few years ago.....Merlin....

I got the other single speed frame for the same price as a built up ENO Eccentric rear wheel. With the horizontal drops, I was able to use my current SS wheelset. So the Phobia sits hanging in the garage right now.

Let me know what you want to measure specifically and I'll hook you up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I decided to go ahead an order one, I figured for $89 bucks you cant really go wrong. When it gets in I'll be glad to post up some pics and specs.

Now I need to decide what fork I want to run on it

mtbr member
    I just bought one a couple of weeks ago, I really like it.

My first SS