Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

I finally fixed it!

Matt inspired me to build the wheel about 2 years ago.
    Rudy inspired me to finally mount it on the Chester and take it off road.

First ride was short, flat and simple on the Rigdon Fitness Trail. A few mild ups and downs, Some rocks and roots and tightish corners.

WAY Fun! A very different feel to the ride and I LIKE IT!

Only tried to coast once or twice. Even jumped a few roots.

The current gear is a bit steep (38 x 16). It was what I had so I rode it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Not because I'm fast.....
    Cool, glad you liked it! Were you still running those X-long cranks too? Any good pedal strikes?

Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    Cool, glad you liked it! Were you still running those X-long cranks too? Any good pedal strikes?
    Still on the 185 mm cranks. No pedal strikes though the trail was mild. I may take it out on "real" singletrack tomorrow. Just hope I do not get tossed into the poison oak or blackberries.
    mtbtires.com

To legit to quit
    I dig how colorful that is.
    MySpace.com/DansJustChillin
    MySpace.com/DirtyBobbysBikes

King Pin

Wink Assimilated.

Another rider bitten by the Chester/Nadler virus! Hehe.

It is FUN, eh Shig?! Try this little experiment....ride the fixie exclusively for three or four weeks, then TRY to ride a freewheeler. Quite the sensation....legs just get all quivery and such, very hard to pedal! It'll feel like your bottom bracket has seized up or something.

I don't even attempt to ride with a freewheel anymore, unless I go out with a group, which isn't very often. Long, long standing climbs are the greatest thing on a fixie....it's the "flywheel" effect.

As Rudi says..."it's like walking, only easier".

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    ride the fixie exclusively for three or four weeks, then TRY to ride a freewheeler. Quite the sensation....legs just get all quivery and such, very hard to pedal! It'll feel like your bottom bracket has seized up or something.
    I put a freewheel on my bike this weekend so my wife could ride it on Saturday... I took a brief spin around my backyard and at first thought that the cranks were loose - definitely noticed the dead spot in my spin. If I can't ride it fixed I'll walk it... watch out it's a disease.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    wow...way cool. fixed is fun, i gotta try it off road sometime, maybe on my cx.

hey shig, with those long @ss 185mm cranks, what bb height do you have on your bike? with all the logs and roots up in the pac northwest, you don't have clearance problems???

Needed Less ~ Did More

Fixed is the way forwards....

....and backwards, but I have not mastered that yet!

Try it for a couple of weeks...you will be hooked! Plus it gets rid of the hoopty rear brake set-up :-)

"it's like walking, only easier" - that needs to go on a sticker or t-shirt (and Rudi bought some beer as commission!)

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Matt inspired me to build the wheel about 2 years ago.
    Rudy inspired me to finally mount it on the Chester and take it off road.

First ride was short, flat and simple on the Rigdon Fitness Trail. A few mild ups and downs, Some rocks and roots and tightish corners.

WAY Fun! A very different feel to the ride and I LIKE IT!

Only tried to coast once or twice. Even jumped a few roots.

The current gear is a bit steep (38 x 16). It was what I had so I rode it.

Shiggz...that bike is so ugly.. only a mother could love it..

R.
    It is inevitable ...

King Pin

Good job! Phixie Phrases

I'm truly reminded of those Rudi words as I continue to master "pedal timing" through the rocks and roots! Doesn't take long for one to learn just where your pedals are going to be situated as you enter the nastier bits....it continues to get easier, and I continue to tackle more and more difficult traileage.

The fixie mantra "calm/relax/breathe" as well as MC's simple "calm down" mumbled to meself during intense efforts has been a wonderful thing, too. Allows me to enter a very relaxed state, especially during longish (20-60 minute or so) fireroad climbs....I have a very "scientific" mind I guess, and never really understood/believed in the whole "Zen" thing, but I certainly feel it on the fixie!

(Shiggy....I run 34/16 and 38/18 on my two offroad fixies up here in No. AZ. Rudi commonly runs 38/18, but tossed on a 19 a few weeks ago for the 50 miler race up here in Preskit...)

Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeedpunk
    ....and backwards, but I have not mastered that yet!

Try it for a couple of weeks...you will be hooked! Plus it gets rid of the hoopty rear brake set-up :-)

"it's like walking, only easier" - that needs to go on a sticker or t-shirt (and Rudi bought some beer as commission!)

SSP

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I hate this place. I really effin' loathe every last one of you. You lot are an influence worse than a pusher on Lower East Side giving out luudes for free.

Just when I thought I got all the bikes sorted and that I can ride happy for a while, along comes another idea to try out.

I so hate you all.

King Pin

Wink But, we love you!

Seriously SW, don't go fixie....you'll just hurt yourself worse! Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    I hate this place. I really effin' loathe every last one of you. You lot are an influence worse than a pusher on Lower East Side giving out luudes for free.

Just when I thought I got all the bikes sorted and that I can ride happy for a while, along comes another idea to try out.

I so hate you all.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I knew I could count on you for sensible advice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

shigster-'bout friggin time!

fixed trail riding is a hoot ain't it! My BrewSSki frame is getting fixed as we speak but I ride 2:1 (36:18) on the trails around here and it is quite a grunt. Havne't ridden a fixie in over a year, had a bad fall on a stump (6' onto my head) awhile ago and kinda lost the enthusiasm. It wasn't the fixie's fault tho, just my own poor tire placement. YOu may find that pedal placement doesn't matter as much as you thought it does, just ride loose in the saddle and let the pedal hit where it may and pedal through it.

bike ON
    bob

ps: thanks for sending the camera back!
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 1speed1der
    wow...way cool. fixed is fun, i gotta try it off road sometime, maybe on my cx.

hey shig, with those long @ss 185mm cranks, what bb height do you have on your bike? with all the logs and roots up in the pac northwest, you don't have clearance problems???
    BB height is ~13" depending on the tires. The frame has zero BB drop. Rarely hit a pedal.
    mtbtires.com

King Pin

... and if we just ... Good height!

The BB on the Sofa King is sittin' 12.8" above terra firma, with 175mm cranks. The Surly is a full inch less, with 180's, and I rarely strike pedals on either!

It's all in the timing, eh?! Only gets easier with more fixie saddle time.......at first apprehension, then learned excellence!

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    BB height is ~13" depending on the tires. The frame has zero BB drop. Rarely hit a pedal.