Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

I don't see what the big deal is...

...with riding a SS rigid. Either 26" or 29'er.

On my local trails (which I ride nearly every day), people do the, whole, "WHOA... SINGLESPEED!!! CRAZY!"

I even had one group point and whisper to each other which I heard, "sssppppissss, sspisss, spisss... singlespeed... spisssss, sssspiiisss... that's crazy..."

Why? I've owned suspension bikes, I've ridden them, descended, climbed - meh. Suspension never felt "natural" so I ride rigid bikes. Big whoop. I'm guessing if I laid down the serious cash for a top-of-the-line suspension bike it would make a difference - but even that I would have to second guess if that was right choice. I probably would end up going back to my stiffy.

I'm perplexed why people build an aura of such awe and mysticism when it comes to riding one-speed rigid. That's all we had back in the day.

I don't want to be the old dude that refuses "advancements" in the MTB world... but for me - it just works. I know "ride what you ride best", but I don't see why others can't wrap their head around low tech MTB's.

surly inbred
    Looking for someone to stroke your stiffy this evening?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    ..I don't see what the big deal is...
    There is no big deal , I just like it and it feels good to me

mtbr member
    I love my SS stiffy, it lets me give the trail a good pounding....
    Buy a f-ing bike maybe you wouldn't be fat

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Did I make up the term "stiffy" to describe a SS rigid? If not, cool... but if I did, COOL!

mtbr member
    Did I make up the term "stiffy" to describe a SS rigid? If not, cool... but if I did, COOL!
    I think you did just coin a new mtb-ing term! Stiffy-meaning a rigid mountain bike. Just like full squish, or squishy bikes as I like to call them, is used for full suspension mountain bikes.

Let me be the first to congratulate you! I for one am moving towards full approval of this new term, lets hope it catches on.
    Buy a f-ing bike maybe you wouldn't be fat

Dive Bomber
    Nah it's not a big deal.

Riding SS is just like when I ride BMX as a kid, I am still a kid anyway but now with bigger wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    there's nothing like a good Stiffy .

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I like to ride stiffys too!

mtbr member
    I'm all good with this "stiffy" business, I like my rigid bike, but so I know for referrence...when I use my carbon fork am I only sporting a "semi" or does that count for a full-on "stiffy"?

As far as the whole singlespeed deal...All I know is when I ride my SS's as opposed to my 1x9s, I'm never in the wrong gear and I don't drop a chain...ever.

You're right...whats the big deal??? Maybe next time, offer them a lap on yours and watch them come back smiling!
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    Looking for someone to stroke your stiffy this evening?
    Damned horny luddites.
    Amolan

Combat Wombat
    Not too many riders on my local trails give singlespeeds a second glance, but the rigid fork seems to be about one step down from a gimp suit. Although telling people that I am running 22lbs in my front tire, not tubeless and pinchflats are not a problem, generally gets me a similar look. Apparently these days, pinch flats happen for reasons other than smacking a rim into hard objects.

mtbr member
    I'm the only SSer in my core group of 6 riders. We're all Late 30's - 40 something Dad's that try to get together 2x a week to ride and clear our heads. I can't for the life of me even get these guys to swap bikes during a ride to show them that it's actually a fun experience to ride a rigid SS. They still think I'm showing off on climbs when I pass them all even after I repeatedly explain standing and mashing the only way I can get to the top! My favorite quote was from my buddy who rides a carbon FS Scott - "To do what you do on that bike is incredible". I'm like "Meh, not really." I often get the "Why don't you have a fork?" question too.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Oh, I don't know...

... other than the fact I'm now an "Elitist Cyclist" I am truly a GOD and can ride stuff that gearies can't even dream of!

JUST KIDDING... Its all what you make of it, and for me I like all the forms of bicycling, its so good to be alive and ride/talk with all of you fine folks sharing stories and trading secrets!

Riding is the key for me, I just like(and you've heard it before) the really simple rigid ss bike. Even more now with 9 and 10 speed drivetrains that don't allow much misalignment before acting up! As far as suspension reliability they have that perfected, with just a little care, but rigid ss is less to worry aboit and more about mind over matter.

So ride what ya like, but by all means RIDE!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    I'm the only SSer in my core group of 6 riders. We're all Late 30's - 40 something Dad's that try to get together 2x a week to ride and clear our heads. I can't for the life of me even get these guys to swap bikes during a ride to show them that it's actually a fun experience to ride a rigid SS. They still think I'm showing off on climbs when I pass them all even after I repeatedly explain standing and mashing the only way I can get to the top! My favorite quote was from my buddy who rides a carbon FS Scott - "To do what you do on that bike is incredible". I'm like "Meh, not really." I often get the "Why don't you have a fork?" question too.
    My self esteem is so low, I have to go on this whole apologetic diatribe, while passing/mashing, to the rider to make sure he doesn't get weird about "being dropped". Sometimes riders (who I'm not with) think I'm trying to race them and I find myself apologizing at the top to explain the reasons behind my pass.

I'm, like, "Oh man... sorry about that pass back there. You see, I'm on a single speed and I need momentum to get up hills. I didn't mean for a rude pass or anything..."

They always give me a cheeky look

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    if we must explain, you're beyond help

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig2002 View Post
    if we must explain, you're beyond help
    I don't think you read the original post.

AZ
    banned
    No one gives two hoots that I ride SS. As far as apologies, none are needed, it is all part of the ebb and flow of the trail. You gain some and then give some back. I mostly give back as I am old and feeble.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I don't think you read the original post.
    you're right. never got past 1st line. sorry. that will teach me to be close minded

mtbr member
    The other day someone said do me that it is stupid to ride without a suspension fork. What happened to the "Hey dude, nice bike. Not my cup of tea but whatever works for you is cool" mentality?
    Signature

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    Those who call me, you, and every other "crazy" because we ride "stiffies" (plural for "stiff" bike, or a bike without suspension gadgetry) should look down to what they ride....many peers on multi geared fs bikes need to to go on a weekly peregrination to their lbs for adjustments. Others ride without much idea on how to adjust their suspension. Others you find mid trail wondering how to get back after a derailleur snagged on a branch and ripped off or has been cricketing all along...and most of them have spent thousand$ on these bikes...I just ride my ss, have fun, get fit and challenge myself.
    Now, who' crazy?
    Simple, not easy.

mtbr member
    I went SS Rigid for 2 reasons..#1 I found shifting to find the right gear a pain in the ass mostly..
    #2 My bike came with probably the crappiest Sus fork known to man

I really enjoy the simplicity,and where I ride it doesn't seem that hard...

I see guys with FS/Geared rigs,just sitting and plowing through most stuff
    without a thought as to lines or anything..The whole time thinking to myself
    Wow, they ain't having near as much fun as me!!!!

Bro Mountainbiker
    I used to hear that a lot as well. But then I quit stopping on the trails to talk to morons.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

VENI VEDI BIKI
    No "aura" for me. Just simplicity and sense of freedom. I like my front squish 1x9 a lot as well though. The single speed is for days when I need to "clear my head" and don't want to be bothered by anything but the ride (and there are many of those days)
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    My self esteem is so low, I have to go on this whole apologetic diatribe, while passing/mashing, to the rider to make sure he doesn't get weird about "being dropped". Sometimes riders (who I'm not with) think I'm trying to race them and I find myself apologizing at the top to explain the reasons behind my pass.

I'm, like, "Oh man... sorry about that pass back there. You see, I'm on a single speed and I need momentum to get up hills. I didn't mean for a rude pass or anything..."

They always give me a cheeky look
    you seriously apologize to people for passing them on a SS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast