mtbr member
    Oct 2009

I don't see what the big deal is...

...with riding a SS rigid. Either 26" or 29'er.

On my local trails (which I ride nearly every day), people do the, whole, "WHOA... SINGLESPEED!!! CRAZY!"

I even had one group point and whisper to each other which I heard, "sssppppissss, sspisss, spisss... singlespeed... spisssss, sssspiiisss... that's crazy..."

Why? I've owned suspension bikes, I've ridden them, descended, climbed - meh. Suspension never felt "natural" so I ride rigid bikes. Big whoop. I'm guessing if I laid down the serious cash for a top-of-the-line suspension bike it would make a difference - but even that I would have to second guess if that was right choice. I probably would end up going back to my stiffy.

I'm perplexed why people build an aura of such awe and mysticism when it comes to riding one-speed rigid. That's all we had back in the day.

I don't want to be the old dude that refuses "advancements" in the MTB world... but for me - it just works. I know "ride what you ride best", but I don't see why others can't wrap their head around low tech MTB's.

surly inbred
    Looking for someone to stroke your stiffy this evening?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    ..I don't see what the big deal is...
    There is no big deal , I just like it and it feels good to me

mtbr member
    I love my SS stiffy, it lets me give the trail a good pounding....
    Buy a f-ing bike maybe you wouldn't be fat

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Did I make up the term "stiffy" to describe a SS rigid? If not, cool... but if I did, COOL!

mtbr member
    Did I make up the term "stiffy" to describe a SS rigid? If not, cool... but if I did, COOL!
    I think you did just coin a new mtb-ing term! Stiffy-meaning a rigid mountain bike. Just like full squish, or squishy bikes as I like to call them, is used for full suspension mountain bikes.

Let me be the first to congratulate you! I for one am moving towards full approval of this new term, lets hope it catches on.
    Buy a f-ing bike maybe you wouldn't be fat

Dive Bomber
    Nah it's not a big deal.

Riding SS is just like when I ride BMX as a kid, I am still a kid anyway but now with bigger wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    there's nothing like a good Stiffy .

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I like to ride stiffys too!

mtbr member
    I'm all good with this "stiffy" business, I like my rigid bike, but so I know for referrence...when I use my carbon fork am I only sporting a "semi" or does that count for a full-on "stiffy"?

As far as the whole singlespeed deal...All I know is when I ride my SS's as opposed to my 1x9s, I'm never in the wrong gear and I don't drop a chain...ever.

You're right...whats the big deal??? Maybe next time, offer them a lap on yours and watch them come back smiling!
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    Looking for someone to stroke your stiffy this evening?
    Damned horny luddites.
    Amolan

Combat Wombat
    Not too many riders on my local trails give singlespeeds a second glance, but the rigid fork seems to be about one step down from a gimp suit. Although telling people that I am running 22lbs in my front tire, not tubeless and pinchflats are not a problem, generally gets me a similar look. Apparently these days, pinch flats happen for reasons other than smacking a rim into hard objects.

mtbr member
    I'm the only SSer in my core group of 6 riders. We're all Late 30's - 40 something Dad's that try to get together 2x a week to ride and clear our heads. I can't for the life of me even get these guys to swap bikes during a ride to show them that it's actually a fun experience to ride a rigid SS. They still think I'm showing off on climbs when I pass them all even after I repeatedly explain standing and mashing the only way I can get to the top! My favorite quote was from my buddy who rides a carbon FS Scott - "To do what you do on that bike is incredible". I'm like "Meh, not really." I often get the "Why don't you have a fork?" question too.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Oh, I don't know...

... other than the fact I'm now an "Elitist Cyclist" I am truly a GOD and can ride stuff that gearies can't even dream of!

JUST KIDDING... Its all what you make of it, and for me I like all the forms of bicycling, its so good to be alive and ride/talk with all of you fine folks sharing stories and trading secrets!

Riding is the key for me, I just like(and you've heard it before) the really simple rigid ss bike. Even more now with 9 and 10 speed drivetrains that don't allow much misalignment before acting up! As far as suspension reliability they have that perfected, with just a little care, but rigid ss is less to worry aboit and more about mind over matter.

So ride what ya like, but by all means RIDE!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    I'm the only SSer in my core group of 6 riders. We're all Late 30's - 40 something Dad's that try to get together 2x a week to ride and clear our heads. I can't for the life of me even get these guys to swap bikes during a ride to show them that it's actually a fun experience to ride a rigid SS. They still think I'm showing off on climbs when I pass them all even after I repeatedly explain standing and mashing the only way I can get to the top! My favorite quote was from my buddy who rides a carbon FS Scott - "To do what you do on that bike is incredible". I'm like "Meh, not really." I often get the "Why don't you have a fork?" question too.
    My self esteem is so low, I have to go on this whole apologetic diatribe, while passing/mashing, to the rider to make sure he doesn't get weird about "being dropped". Sometimes riders (who I'm not with) think I'm trying to race them and I find myself apologizing at the top to explain the reasons behind my pass.

I'm, like, "Oh man... sorry about that pass back there. You see, I'm on a single speed and I need momentum to get up hills. I didn't mean for a rude pass or anything..."

They always give me a cheeky look

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    if we must explain, you're beyond help

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig2002 View Post
    if we must explain, you're beyond help
    I don't think you read the original post.

AZ
    banned
    No one gives two hoots that I ride SS. As far as apologies, none are needed, it is all part of the ebb and flow of the trail. You gain some and then give some back. I mostly give back as I am old and feeble.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I don't think you read the original post.
    you're right. never got past 1st line. sorry. that will teach me to be close minded

mtbr member
    The other day someone said do me that it is stupid to ride without a suspension fork. What happened to the "Hey dude, nice bike. Not my cup of tea but whatever works for you is cool" mentality?
    Signature

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    Those who call me, you, and every other "crazy" because we ride "stiffies" (plural for "stiff" bike, or a bike without suspension gadgetry) should look down to what they ride....many peers on multi geared fs bikes need to to go on a weekly peregrination to their lbs for adjustments. Others ride without much idea on how to adjust their suspension. Others you find mid trail wondering how to get back after a derailleur snagged on a branch and ripped off or has been cricketing all along...and most of them have spent thousand$ on these bikes...I just ride my ss, have fun, get fit and challenge myself.
    Now, who' crazy?
    Simple, not easy.

mtbr member
    I went SS Rigid for 2 reasons..#1 I found shifting to find the right gear a pain in the ass mostly..
    #2 My bike came with probably the crappiest Sus fork known to man

I really enjoy the simplicity,and where I ride it doesn't seem that hard...

I see guys with FS/Geared rigs,just sitting and plowing through most stuff
    without a thought as to lines or anything..The whole time thinking to myself
    Wow, they ain't having near as much fun as me!!!!

Bro Mountainbiker
    I used to hear that a lot as well. But then I quit stopping on the trails to talk to morons.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

VENI VEDI BIKI
    No "aura" for me. Just simplicity and sense of freedom. I like my front squish 1x9 a lot as well though. The single speed is for days when I need to "clear my head" and don't want to be bothered by anything but the ride (and there are many of those days)
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    My self esteem is so low, I have to go on this whole apologetic diatribe, while passing/mashing, to the rider to make sure he doesn't get weird about "being dropped". Sometimes riders (who I'm not with) think I'm trying to race them and I find myself apologizing at the top to explain the reasons behind my pass.

I'm, like, "Oh man... sorry about that pass back there. You see, I'm on a single speed and I need momentum to get up hills. I didn't mean for a rude pass or anything..."

you seriously apologize to people for passing them on a SS?

Bro Mountainbiker

Or you could just drop em for fun and games. I used to love stacking myself up against others on the trails. No apologizing here though. Unless, of course, its deserved.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    you seriously apologize to people for passing them on a SS?
    Yeah... I know. I try not to be the annoying "drop" guy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by balance_fit View Post
    Those who call me, you, and every other "crazy" because we ride "stiffies" (plural for "stiff" bike, or a bike without suspension gadgetry) should look down to what they ride....many peers on multi geared fs bikes need to to go on a weekly peregrination to their lbs for adjustments. Others ride without much idea on how to adjust their suspension. Others you find mid trail wondering how to get back after a derailleur snagged on a branch and ripped off or has been cricketing all along...and most of them have spent thousand$ on these bikes...I just ride my ss, have fun, get fit and challenge myself.
    Now, who' crazy?
    When I had my FS, all I did was fiddle with my lock outs, adjustments, etc. I remember stopping to lower my adjustable travel fork before a climb. Instead of just riding, all I did was fiddle with all that stuff = lame.

nothing to see here
    apologise for nothing. just make yourself happy.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    I like SS rigid because it makes the easy-to-access trails in Golden Gate Park, The Presidio, and Marin way more fun... I can't imagine having as much fun climbing fire roads on a squish/geared bike.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Come up to my neck of the woods and I can promise I won't give a **** that you are a rigid ss.

Turn off the TV
    Ridged is great. I stopped recently as my joints just cant take it anymore, it's rough where I ride. I now have a Specialized Epic that I converted and it's great, heavy, but great. The reason people think it's a big deal is, that it is. It's hard and you don't get to rest unless it's flat. When I ride my geared bike I feel like I'm cheating.

mtbr member

26' or 29'' rigid?

I think, riding 29er rigid is a good option. Not sure with the rigid 26er.

However SS is great in both cases.

P.S. Building XTC 26'' SS hardtail right now.

mtbr member
    I LOVED the mechanics of a FS bike. Blasting over terrain while the suspension pumped to smooth out the ride was awesome! It was awesome until a hill popped up. Then it felt like sprinting in soft sand wearing a bomb proof suit. Our trails consists of short ups and downs and the FS bike required more work the faster I went. I went from a $3000+ FS 26" 1x9 downhill ripper to $400 used rigid SS 29'er. My mtb passion became a meth addiction. The noiseless efficient SS drivetrain, the simplicity of mechanical brakes, the feedback from the trail's surface, and ease of maintaining momentum with 29" wheels felt like cheating. I enjoy riding my bike everywhere.

I used to lead group rides with the guys from work. With the FS bike, we were pretty much even. I would accelerate on the downhills but they would always catch up on the uphills. With the SS 29'er, I would often have to check over my shoulder to make sure I haven't left anyone too far behind.

When I was on my FS bike and would see other riders on SS and I would say "how could they do that?" Now, I'm the guy that looks back at the FS riders and ask "how could they do that?"

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    I had my first FS experience in Tahoe this fall, I do have to say I'm not sure if I could have hacked it SS/rigid. Though we did get passed by some dude on a rigid/SS 29er.. so who's to say? That dude was definitely a badaSS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I know it is a cliche', but the saying "like a BMX bike, except with bigger wheels" is entirely true.

I lived on a BMX bike from 1986 - 1992 (then I got stupid and got caught up with girls, cars, etc.) But I had the honor to be riding during the "birth" of modern day street riding. We were hitting wall rides (mostly from bunnyhopping - both carved and fakies), grinding handrails, feeble grinds, 360's off loading docks, abubacas, tailspins, barspins, hitting up skateparks... and just tearing up everything we could session - this was back in the early 90's. I was really into flatland tricks, which was also going through some serious evolution with Kevin Jones and Mark Eaton of the Plywood Hoods. Of course, our bikes were pretty different than the slammed seat BMX bikes you see today, and we rode serious tanks (30+ lbs.)

I stopped riding bikes for a long time to pursue competitive bodybuilding in my 20's (yeah, I know), but when I got into mountain bikes, I purchased a 2003 (I think) Redline Monocog. Like an idiot, I sold it thinking the "full suspension was the way to go" and I bought a crappy Specialized Enduro, then a Big Hit, and an array of mountain bikes with cool gadgetry and technical features.

EVERY suspension bike I've ever owned felt weird, even on the most technical, rocky/bumpy descends. Suspension has never felt right to me, ever. I remember while riding UC Santa Cruz on my Enduro, I went for an old school bunnyhop-to-fastplant with it, and that stupid thing just squashed down and did nothing - coming from a guy who was bunny hopping up 4 1/2ft. platforms as a teen.

The worst over-the-bar crashes were due to my suspension fork diving. Never had that problem on a rigid fork.

Rigid SS truly feels like a BMX bike, because I feel I put in the same body movements as I did when I was a kid. I love bustin' rock-walks, kick turns, and other old-school tricks on my rigid SS - something that you just can't do on a FS. On the trails, you tend to be lighter on the bars, lighter on your feet and your body input is with every intent to be as smooth and fast as possible.

When I ride with some familiars, they always say, "There goes Dion doing his freestyle tricks..." Just can't help it on a simple bike.

When I see a guy on a FS descending while seated, I just think it is just plain silly.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    I'm with you there, BMX background has been a big part of my SS/Rigid quest. I rode BMX almost every day from 2001-2009, and tried 20" and 24" bikes a couple of times after. I don't think I ever got as "RAD" as you, but some of my fondest memories come from riding DJ trails. That's why I like to ride Redline bikes, and I always try to ride with a little BMX steeze.

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    When I had my FS, all I did was fiddle with my lock outs, adjustments, etc. I remember stopping to lower my adjustable travel fork before a climb. Instead of just riding, all I did was fiddle with all that stuff = lame.
    Psst, don't tell anyone......years ago, i had an FS, with adjustable fork and seat tube too....seems one has to try all these gimmicks and gadgets to eventually 'discover' that a bicycle is...: a bicycle !! Suspension, gears and the above mentioned gadgetry is just that.......
    On a more serious note, i still ride all of the trails i used to ride with the FS, on my SS. Needless to say i'm faster, even the rough ones ! Even downhill i feel safer, having disposed of the damn fork dive.
    Simple, not easy.

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    When I see a guy on a FS descending while seated, I just think it is just plain silly.
    Silly, and on top of that, he's not riding, he's been eased down the hill by a lot of gadgetry.
    If he goes down the hill on a rigid, he's riding. Otherwise, it's not called riding.
    Rigid bike relaxes the rider. Suspended bikeremoves the rider !
    Last edited by balance_fit; 12-30-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    Simple, not easy.

I like mud
    I love all bikes [almost] equally. I can't say FS is crap!

Somehow I'm fondest of my SS. It does get those whispers and comments of awe, and yes I do tend to sail past FS-ers on the climbs.

But my 6" FS bike is just as fun! More comfortable, and faster on DH! Better for longer rides (like 12 hour endurance rides) and of course it climbs better at a crawl. I don't find myself fiddling with the suspension or the gears. It's not that big of a deal! Overall it's faster.

Then there's the road bike! Sure, road riding is not as fun as trails, but it keeps me in great shape and has taught me how to spin better.

I love all bikes!
    The Bike Race Database:
    www.meet4rides.com

Really I am that slow
    I like this!
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

The need for singlespeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Igoreha View Post
    Building XTC 26'' SS hardtail right now.
    Me too. I want pics when you're done!

Rider
    Nov 2010

SStiffy

Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot View Post
    I like this!
    How about SStiffy? That should cover SS and rigid...

Now broadcasting from CO
    Quote Originally Posted by balance_fit View Post
    Silly, and on top of that, he's not riding, he's been eased down the hill by a lot of gadgetry.
    If he goes down the hill on a rigid, he's riding. Otherwise, it's not called riding.
    Rigid bike relaxes the rider. Suspended bikeremoves the rider !
    This I disagree with, but it's not worth starting an intertubes cat fight about.

Lots of people ride SS around here, but few ride rigid SS. I am one of those few. I enjoy putting a squishy fork on my SS, but I like it better with the rigid. It feels more connected with the trail, and more brutally efficient. Sometimes people give me that "woah rigid SS" crap when I first break it out for a ride with them (I'm normally seen on a full squish XC race bike), but that talk quickly stops once I drop them on rocky trails.
    Brought to you by rocks.

smalljeans
    Dion, you could be my brother from another! I ride with the same thought process, even got some spiked tires so I can ride the snowboard park this winter!

Also anybody who rides my bike(26" SStiffy) loves it and wants to try it everytime we're out-even the wife!
    ...don't worry it's coming...