Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 73
  1. #1
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,440

    I built a singlespeed. help me with this tensioner?

    So I built up my old Nashbar frame as a singlespeed, and I haven't ridden 1 gear since my BMX days. I'm going to have to play with gear ratio and figure that out, but that's pretty self-explanitory.

    This frame has traditional drop-outs, so I needed a tensioner. I found this cool tensioner from Origin 8 that's a 2 pully tensioner, and it's several thousand dollars cheaper than the Paul one

    I got it becuase I think I might want to put a double chainring up front on this bike and have a 2-speed thing going, and the 2 pully tensioner can compensate for the difference in chain length.

    I think I have it set up pretty much right, but I'm not sure. Does anyone else use one of these? My only complaint about it is that the bolt that sets the chainline is the same bolt that sets the swingy-part for tension, so you basically have to set it up for both chainline and tension before you put the chain on the bike. I wound up taking the chain off and on a few times before I was sort of happy with it.

    Any advice on set-up for one of these things?



    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  2. #2
    Phobia of petting zoos.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    777
    Looks alright to me, the chain is routed correctly. Providing the tensioner is aligned with the rear sprocket (and your chainline is straight) then you're good to go.

    Normally you'd start with a 2:1 gearing, that looks a bit taller than that. But, it depends on where you're riding it. I assume by the slicks that it's for pavement duties? If so, you can get away with a taller gear. Of course, that's general info, it depends on the terrain, your strength and pedalling style (ie: spinner or grinder) etc.

    No front brake? You get more braking power out of the front than the rear. Just something to consider.

    Grumps

  3. #3
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,440
    I know the chainline is good, I'm more curious about the 'swinging' part of this tensioner... should it be more down like a derailleur, or pulled up high like I have it? ...might not matter until I have another chainring on the front and I need the 'swing' to make up for a smaller gear. I'm assuming that the way I have it is in 'high' gear position, and I'll need it to be able to swing down for the lower gear. ...?

    I am stoked on the one rear brake. I didn't intend to use a monster 185mm rotor, but I had the rotor and the adapter, so it was the free option. I rode BMX long enough to appreciate having only a rear brake. I have ridden motocross and mountain bikes long enough to appreciate the importance of a front brake. ...but yes, this is primarily for pavement duties (although I live on a dirt road so it will see some of that). It will see some gravel/rail trail use also.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  4. #4
    surly inbred
    Reputation: TroutBum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,529
    Nevermind, I have no useful info whatsoever.
    Last edited by TroutBum; 01-10-2012 at 04:28 PM.

  5. #5
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    I do want to take a minute to recognize this bit of wisdom below. It's a rare bird that wanders into ss'ville with common ****ing sense, and for that I thank you.
    What, were you expecting: "I want to build a singlespeed and ride it sort of uphill and sort of downhill and sort of steeper parts in some sections and, so, like, what gear ratio do I want?"
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  6. #6
    Phobia of petting zoos.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    777
    Normally they run a little more "vertical", at least the Paul's Melvin ones that I've seen in action are set up more vertically like a derailleur cage.

    Not sure how much tension is on the tensioner spring, and therefore on the chain. If it isn't straining under tension then I'd say it was fine. Obviously when you go to a twin ring setup (if you do decide to go that way) you'll have the tensioner "pointing down" for the small rin and "pointing more forward" for the big ring.

    So in a non-committal summary, there's probably nothing wrong with that if the chain and tensioner aren't under strain though an extra pair of links wouldn't hurt either.

    Grumps

  7. #7
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,440
    Well I started messing with it when I got home from work, and while I was at it I realized that I hadn't checked before... so I started playing with the chain, and it appears that I have stumbled upon a "magic gear" in my first attempt at building a singlespeed. So I ditched the tensioner. The chain was too tight to get the master link on when it was around both sprockets, just just barely...so I took it off of the front chainring, hooked up the master link, and backpedaled it onto the chainring just like I used to do to the BMX bikes, and bam: perfectly tight chain.

    It always works like that when you're building a singlespeed, right?

    So I guess I'll make this gear ratio work

    I will run it like this for a while and then experiment with the 'dinglespeed' 2 gear thing.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I built a singlespeed.  help me with this tensioner?-ss.jpg  

    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  8. #8
    one chain loop
    Reputation: fishcreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,350
    sweet.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

  9. #9
    Phobia of petting zoos.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    777
    That does look *****in'.

  10. #10
    Phobia of petting zoos.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    777
    Ha! I got censored! It was a compliment.

    That does look bit chin'.

    Grumps

  11. #11
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,367
    I was kinda onboard with this whole SS notion for you, but then you went and played uber 'tard. Out of most people, I feel like you should know a little better than to roll with one brakes on a SS, especially the rear only.

    I'm not saying that you are going to go out for a ride tomorrow, find yourself in a hairy situation, and rather than having a brake in a position to get 70% of your stopping power, you only have 30% due to some strange need to stick with the rear only, and you needed 50%. You might bike for a ****ing long time before physics catches up with you. Or you could take a casual roll down the street and end up in a Ford Explorer's wheel well. Go throw away your helmet while you are at it.

    Also, and this may be nit picking, but I was a bit chuffed about the rotor interface on the front wheel not facing towards the disc tab. It felt like you were rubbing it in.

  12. #12
    dirtbag
    Reputation: ranier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,436
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    also, and this may be nit picking, but i was a bit chuffed about the rotor interface on the front wheel not facing towards the disc tab. It felt like you were rubbing it in.
    ^^^lol
    Amolan

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    361
    Very Nice build man!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I will run it like this for a while and then experiment with the 'dinglespeed' 2 gear thing.
    Thanks for the replies.
    If you got a magic gear that works and keeps working (good luck with THAT by the way, whcih is an entirely separate, multiple-thread ongoing debate)... consider going with a true dinglespeed instead of two up front with a tensioner... Use two chain rings (one large on the outside, and one small on the inside) and two cogs (one large on the INSIDE, and one small on the OUTSIDE). MAke sure they have the same tooth count, and you should be good to go... you can't shift on the fly, but a gear change consists of a quick stop, drop the wheel out with the quick release and shift the chain over to the desired gear ratio.

    Not sure if it is obivous from my description or not, but you are always using the inside cog with the inside chain ring and vice versa on the outside....

    If you already knew what dinglespeed was, and I insulted your intelligence, please accept my most insincere apologies.

  15. #15
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    I was kinda onboard with this whole SS notion for you, but then you went and played uber 'tard. Out of most people, I feel like you should know a little better than to roll with one brakes on a SS, especially the rear only.

    I'm not saying that you are going to go out for a ride tomorrow, find yourself in a hairy situation, and rather than having a brake in a position to get 70% of your stopping power, you only have 30% due to some strange need to stick with the rear only, and you needed 50%. You might bike for a ****ing long time before physics catches up with you. Or you could take a casual roll down the street and end up in a Ford Explorer's wheel well. Go throw away your helmet while you are at it.

    Also, and this may be nit picking, but I was a bit chuffed about the rotor interface on the front wheel not facing towards the disc tab. It felt like you were rubbing it in.

    See, your numbers are off. I'll actually have 100% of my stopping power Just becuase my stopping power isn't more, doesn't mean I don't have all of it.

    This was my explanation of the rear brake in the commuter forum:
    "As for the rear instead of the front, I think that's a riding style thing. I have a heavy BMX background... didn't ride a bike with a front brake for a lot of years (other than a motocross bike). I'm very well aware of the stopping power of a front brake vs. a rear brake, but on any surface that isn't pavement, I'd much rather lock up the rear and throw it around than play with washing out the front. I go through rear brake pads on my mountain bike much faster than front ones. So if I'm only going to have one, it just has to be out back. This thing will see at least some dirt every time I ride it, and pine needles and potentially snow... all places I am primarily on the rear brake anyway. And on pavement, I can't imagine needing to stop any faster than this thing will stop. If I get in that situation I was going to crash anyway. At least I know I won't go over the bars."


    You could take any bike in the world, and say that it's doesn't have all of the stopping power that it could have because it doesn't have a 300mm disc brake in the front. There are people who rely on riding skill, shifting weight, and knowing their equipment, and there are people who squeeze the thingies on the handlebar to stop and throw out percentages as if they're somehow going to keep them from crashing. Anyone who's ever raced BMX would pick a rear brake over a front.

    Another thing you don't know is how rural my area is. If I wanted to end up in a Ford Explorer's wheel well, I'd have to hide behind a stop sign for several days before one happened by...then I'd have to remove the cow crap in order to fit myself in there.

    I think now I'm going to mount a brake rotor on that front wheel...and leave it on the wrong side. In fact, I'll put a smaller one up there. The rear is 185, I have a spare 160.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  16. #16
    ******
    Reputation: monzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,990
    What TroutBum said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

  17. #17
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,367
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    In fact, I'll put a smaller one up there.
    Guess I wasted my time. ****ing 'tards will be just that and justifying their stupidity through what they think is logic. Go back to the commuting forum. There is a reason why I stopped visiting.

  18. #18
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,440
    Wow. You don't like the bike I built so I'm a ****ing 'tard? That's quite a leap. You know there's a whole wacky community of people out there with no brakes at all, right? Plus the entire BMX community, And all those ****ing 'tard 12 year old kids with their coaster brakes, just running amok out there with only 30% of thier potential stopping power... You have lots of work to do. They need to know how ****ing 'tarded they are.

    Do we have some sort of a history that I'm unaware of? And are you an accurate sampling of the singlespeed forum? Because dude, you're sort of killing it for me.
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 01-10-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  19. #19
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,367
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Wow. You don't like the bike I built so I'm a ****ing 'tard? That's quite a leap. You know there's a whole wacky community of people out there with no brakes at all, right? Plus the entire BMX community, And all those ****ing 'tard 12 year old kids with their coaster brakes, just running amok out there with only 30% of thier potential stopping power... You have lots of work to do. They need to know how ****ing 'tarded they are.

    Do we have some sort of a history that I'm unaware of? And are you an accurate sampling of the singlespeed forum? Because dude, you're sort of killing it for me.
    I'm the biggest ****** on the SS forum, everyone else you'll like. We don't have a past history- I didn't think you'd be so stupid about your brake set up.

    And more specifically, road riders/mtn riders who do rear brakes or none at all draw my ire. And those people are ****ing 'tards. I do bicycle planning for a living and those people are killing support all the time, whether it because they cause dangerous traffic situations or because they lock up the rear wheel and tear up local trails... you think you're offended by me, but I am way more offended by you.

  20. #20
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    This was my explanation of the rear brake in the commuter forum:
    "As for the rear instead of the front, I think that's a riding style thing. I have a heavy BMX background... didn't ride a bike with a front brake for a lot of years (other than a motocross bike). I'm very well aware of the stopping power of a front brake vs. a rear brake, but on any surface that isn't pavement, I'd much rather lock up the rear and throw it around than play with washing out the front. I go through rear brake pads on my mountain bike much faster than front ones. So if I'm only going to have one, it just has to be out back. This thing will see at least some dirt every time I ride it, and pine needles and potentially snow... all places I am primarily on the rear brake anyway. And on pavement, I can't imagine needing to stop any faster than this thing will stop. If I get in that situation I was going to crash anyway. At least I know I won't go over the bars."
    No offense, but if you can't properly and confidently utilize BOTH front and rear brakes on the trails, you're either a ******bag hipster or an über-noob. Either way, sounds like you need more trail time.

    Oh, and stop tearing up the trails with rear wheel skids. May get you mad cred at the coffee shops, but does a lot of damage to the trails. I wanted to clothesline this last kid who also lacked front brake skills and must have skid 100 yards trying to stop before crashing into our group. Seriously, put on a front brake. It'll be ok. We have all endo'd, front wheels have done disappearing tricks, but it will help more than it will hurt. You will appreciate the newly acquired skill of stopping faster and safer, other trail users will appreciate the lack of ruts, and umarth will leave you alone and go back to consuming his favorite bacteria-poo beverage.

  21. #21
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,440
    ^^ What in the world makes you think I'm going to ride this bike on mountain bike trails??? I would never build a mountian bike with one brake. Holy crap with the assumptions in this thread. Wow. Now you know how good I am (or amn't) at mountian biking? And how often I lock up the rear wheel? "you people" are amazing!! You can tell all of this from just looking at the rear brake on one of my bikes??? And I have to go to coffee shops now?? I had no idea what I was getting into when I built this thing. I'm going to have to get rid of it before I become these horrible things you all instantly think that I am!


    So Umarth, you do "bicycle planning" for a living, but you hate some of the people who ride bicycles? That makes sense. It sounds like I'm being sacrastic, but I actually get that. I'm a teacher and I get pretty irritated with certain segments of the population that I serve.
    But one thing I don't do is completely stereotype someone before I have any idea if they actually fit the profile of the type of person I find difficult to tolerate.

    You see one rear brake and you instantly assume that I'm some half-baked hipster, sliding sideways into intersections and gumming up traffic, or tearing up the local trails. In reality I'm the guy putting in hours helping to build the local trails, and I'm one of the very small percentage of bike commuters in the entire county (there might be 2 or 3 others, zero in the winter). It falls on me to maintain my relationship with 'traffic', since I know most of the people that I will be sharing those intersections with, and they know me. I have their kids in my classes and I probably go to church with them. I will certainly see them at the hardware store occasionally and they will comment about how crazy I am to be out there riding my bike to work in single digit temperatures. They will thank me for my bright blinky taillight and I will thank them for giving me lots of room. This happens regularly. We country folk don't have the luxury of simply hating someone and never seeing them again.

    But you see a rear brake and you're instantly offended by me. I am a "bicycle planner's" dream cyclist. I'm the guy out there giving us a good name. I'm the guy turning around and heading home when the trails are too wet, because I put too much work into them to leave them rutted. But you'll never find that out because I have a rear brake on one of my bikes, so therefore I'm a ****ing 'tard. Think about the logic in that. That's almost as stupid as assuming that I'm going to be riding this bike on the mountain bike trails at all.

    Do yourself and your career a favor and consider for a second the possiblility that "those people" aren't all exactly like the "those people" that you have in your mind. I like bikes, and I wanted to build a minimilastic one that wouldn't throw me to the ground when I applied the brake on slippery surfaces, since I ride all year and there's ice here. Does that make me a ****ing 'tard, or a fellow advocate? You might be wasting a lot of hate on people who have done nothing to earn it.
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 01-10-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  22. #22
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ What in the world makes you think I'm going to ride this bike on mountain bike trails???
    Uhhh.....I'm going to go out on a limb and make another assumption that people who log onto MounTainBikeReview are mountain bikers who ride on mountain bike trails. Either way, if you can't see the benefit of a front brake, on or off road, you're delusional.

    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Now you know how good I am (or amn't) at mountian biking? And how often I lock up the rear wheel? "you people" are amazing!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    on any surface that isn't pavement, I'd much rather lock up the rear and throw it around than play with washing out the front. I go through rear brake pads on my mountain bike much faster than front ones.
    That actually says more than how it reads.

  23. #23
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,440
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    That actually says more than how it reads.
    I'll rephrase then: ON A BIKE WITH ONE BRAKE, I'd rather lock up the rear wheel than the front on a slippery surface, becuase I don't like hitting my face on the ground.

    On any bike worthy of being ridden on a mountain bike trail (WHICH THIS BIKE ISN'T) I will always have two brakes, and I will always get most of my stopping power out of the front, because that's what riding a mountian bike IS. I go through rear brake pads faster than front ones because I use the back brake a lot, not to lock up the rear wheel and destroy the trail, but becuase I learned to feather the rear brake on the BMX track and that's sort of my riding style. It's possible to actually use the rear brake without locking it up. Did you know that? Oh my Lord! Stop the insanity! What else do you know about me? Do tell.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  24. #24
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,367
    Yup, ****ing 'tard. Clearly we're not going to agree that you're wrong, so go back to teaching Special Ed and let's not waste any more words.

  25. #25
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    It's possible to actually use the rear brake without locking it up. Did you know that?
    You can actually use a front brake without busting your melon on the pavement. Did you know THAT?

  26. #26
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,440
    In the ice? Yeah, go for it.


    Wow. Thanks for the help with the chain tensioner guys. If I need more help I'll go elsewhere.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  27. #27
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    In the ice? Yeah, go for it...
    That is the first time anyone has mentioned "ice" in the thread. Either way, looks like your bike is well-suited for ice riding.

    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    If I need more help I'll go elsewhere
    I think that invitation was extended a few posts up already.

  28. #28
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,367
    Dayum, p nut, dayum. I'd pos rep you, but I can't.

    I like you more now, but now I can't tell people you are the nicest, most knowledgeable dood on the SS.

  29. #29
    Gotta pay to play
    Reputation: michaelscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    In the ice? Yeah, go for it.


    That dude doesn't have any brakes.

    Woah nelly...

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boostin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    886
    Hows it feel under that bus dude?

  31. #31
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,367
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    Hows it feel under that bus dude?
    No ****. Now that I'm a little buzzed and starting to get some feelings back, I feel a little bad. Still, he should post a photo of his bike and brag about how awesome rear brakes are on Brake Time. That would be a helluva thread.

    Hops gathered? I still owe you some mtb rides...

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    361
    Wow, this thread went UGLY overnight!

    Commuterboy, hope the bike works out for you. If your new to making singlespeeds out of geared frames I'll offer some advice; ( since that's what I believe you ventured in here for in the first place) Do research on the 'magic gear' thing. Plenty of info, opinions, and misinfo on the subject elsewhere in the SS forum. Bottom line; it USUALLY doesn't work in the long run, so don't get frustrated if it starts to fail, just go back to the tensioner, or look into other options.
    Also look into the dinglespeed thing. it might be a good set up if you like the SS simplicity, but need SOME variance in gears.
    Finally, while I do MUCH prefer Umarth's posts when he's been drinking (he's actually nicer then--- well relative to these posts above anxway...) I have to agree, that I have a hard time imagining what advantage you gain by NOT having a front brake. I commute as well, and I commute in icy conditions. you're better off upgrading to studs or some other winter tire than compensating by not having a front brake. Even a good set of aggressive knobby cross tires will do well in most conditions except sheets of skating-rink ice... for which I did a DIY involving 29er tires and 3/4 inch sheet metal screws, the resulting tires looked not unlike the pivture above, and worked like a charm on even the slickest ice out there.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,734
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    "As for the rear instead of the front, I think that's a riding style thing. I have a heavy BMX background... didn't ride a bike with a front brake for a lot of years (other than a motocross bike). I'm very well aware of the stopping power of a front brake vs. a rear brake, but on any surface that isn't pavement, I'd much rather lock up the rear and throw it around than play with washing out the front. I go through rear brake pads on my mountain bike much faster than front ones. So if I'm only going to have one, it just has to be out back. This thing will see at least some dirt every time I ride it, and pine needles and potentially snow... all places I am primarily on the rear brake anyway. And on pavement, I can't imagine needing to stop any faster than this thing will stop. If I get in that situation I was going to crash anyway. At least I know I won't go over the bars."
    The correct answer is learning to use both your brakes properly, instead of seriously handicapping yourself. You're putting yourself in a more dangerous situation 100% of the time, to avoid an easily mitigated situation which might be dangerous 0.00001% of the time. Your logic is just so incredibly flawed.

    Also, while sliding the rear around on trail might be fun, it also tears up the trail and leads to increased erosion, and increased erosion makes the trail less fun, requires more work to maintain, and is one of the main weapons in the arsenal of groups fighting to close trails to bikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    You could take any bike in the world, and say that it's doesn't have all of the stopping power that it could have because it doesn't have a 300mm disc brake in the front. There are people who rely on riding skill, shifting weight, and knowing their equipment, and there are people who squeeze the thingies on the handlebar to stop and throw out percentages as if they're somehow going to keep them from crashing. Anyone who's ever raced BMX would pick a rear brake over a front.
    Sure, BMXs often use only a rear brake, but it's an apples to oranges comparison when looking at mountain bikes or commuter bikes. The reasons BMX bikes might use only a rear brake simply don't carry over.

    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I'll rephrase then: ON A BIKE WITH ONE BRAKE, I'd rather lock up the rear wheel than the front on a slippery surface, becuase I don't like hitting my face on the ground.
    The simply solution is to take the bike with one brake and simply add a second one. But baring that, the next best solution is putting the one brake on the front and learning to properly use it.

  34. #34
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,440
    OK. I'm going to use really short sentences here, so try to pay attention.

    I have 4 bikes.
    3 of them have 2 brakes.
    I've been riding bikes a long time and I'm not an idiot.
    I also ride motocross.
    I freaking understand the 70/30 stopping power thing.
    I was winning BMX races before "Rad" came out.
    This is not my commuter bike.
    My commuter bike has 2 180mm disc brakes.
    My mountian bike has 2 180mm disc brakes.
    My road bike has those puny road brakes that work surprisingly well.
    This bike will never see a mountian bike trail.
    You'd have to be an idiot to ride this bike on a mountian bike trail.
    You'd have to be a bigger idiot to assume that I'm going to ride this bike on a mountian bike trail, since I have a perfectly good mountian bike, which I built for mountian biking, with 2 brakes and everything!.
    You'd be a huge idiot to assume that I lock up the rear wheel and skid on mountain bike trails, just because one bike I built that will never see a mountian bike trial only has one brake. (sorry that was a long one..are you tracking?).
    I build mountian bike trails and I get mad at people who lock up the rear wheel and skid on mountain bike trails, because that is stupid behavior.
    I comprehend how to safely operate a bike with only a rear brake without leaving a wake of destruction in my path. A lot of this has to do with how fast you ride and where you are riding.
    I'm not riding it in a city.
    I'm not riding it on trails.
    I'm not riding it dangerously fast into unknown situations.
    I am very well versed in how to use a front brake.
    The fact that I put a rear brake on this bike does not mean that I don't know how to use a front one. That's a stupid assumption.
    The fact that I put a rear brake on this bike does not mean that I don't know that I could get more stopping power out of a front one. That's a stupid assumption.
    I am as much of a ticking time bomb on this bike as every psycopath riding one of those dangerous one-braked beach cruisers in southern california, and every kid with a coaster brake in the entire country. Look out!! This psycho only has ONE BRAKE!!!
    I don't want another brake on this bike because I like the bike as stripped down and simple as possible. No brakes would be better looking, but that would be stupid.

    Tweedledumb and Tweedledumber in this thread make all of you sound like a bunch of bandwagon-jumping idiots. I especially like how TroutBum retracted the compliment he gave me at the start of the thread when he realized that the kings of this pathetic little kingdom were going to use me as an example to educate the masses, since I am clearly a no-skills moron who is going to kill someone. Wouldn't want our leaders to think we're of a different mind.
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 05-07-2014 at 09:53 AM.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ... in this thread make all of you sound like a bunch of bandwagon-jumping idiots...
    While I understand your frustration with a couple of the more agressive, OK, flat out rude, folks here; for you to lash out at everyone in the thread, especially when some of us were giving you earnest well-meaning advice (not really knowing how much riding experience you may or may not have), is kinda deuschebag-ey on your part.

    either way, I genuinely hope that ride works out better for you than the thread did...

    EDIT: BTW that brake disc artwork IS funny as ****... no matter how silly it is to ride with no front brake!

  36. #36
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,440
    ^^ Very true. I'm obviously a bit frustrated with the response here, and I apologize to you and everyone else who offered constructive advice. I shouldn't have said "all of you". That's like saying everyone who only has one brake is a hipster 'tard.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  37. #37
    Gotta pay to play
    Reputation: michaelscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    690
    The internet is a frustrating place. It's filled with highly attractive people that are all very skilled at what ever skill set the topic of the forum is. These people don't have much care for anyone else's feelings.

    To help myself navigate all the emotional barbs; I like to think that they are just having a bad day because their BMW M series vehicle just went past it's 3 year service warranty and they had to pay for a first oil change. Ouch. That must suck.

  38. #38
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    Bwha ha ha! The fact you actually took time to put on a front rotor and took a pic of it to post online for a couple of internet dweebs adds more hilarity to this thread. More than the fact you got so worked up over a few comments posted on a public forum. Or the fact you put reflectors on your wheels, but no front brakes. Or your definition of an ice/snow-bike.

    And the very befitting Special Ed bike in the background is a nice touch. ::

    Good luck with your bike, dude.

  39. #39
    Blue Pig
    Reputation: Blksocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    In the ice? Yeah, go for it.


    Wow. Thanks for the help with the chain tensioner guys. If I need more help I'll go elsewhere.
    Ignore them. They are showing their true intelligence by cutting you down because you don't think like them or use their logic of w/e. Doesn't seem you'll be doing hardcore **** that would require front brakes, anyways. Hell, I did DH using just rear brakes and didn't even skid. It's all in how you operate your brakes.

    Keep with your rear brake. Make them mad.

    Edit: Damn... You put on your front brake. Now I wont get to read angry internet words that consist of ****** and me trying to guess what silly little word they are using.
    Ragley Blue Pig

  40. #40
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,440
    ^^ I couldn't figure out how to make the front one work because the caliper mounts are on the other side of the fork (? totally weird, right?) so I had to take it back off.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  41. #41
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,367
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    The internet is a frustrating place. It's filled with highly attractive people that are all very skilled at what ever skill set the topic of the forum is. These people don't have much care for anyone else's feelings.

    To help myself navigate all the emotional barbs; I like to think that they are just having a bad day because their BMW M series vehicle just went past it's 3 year service warranty and they had to pay for a first oil change. Ouch. That must suck.
    I think you are wrong. The world is filled with stupid people, so you are going to get really stupid people in any situation, forums certainly not excluded. If someone is going to get butthurt because of someone they think is stupid wrote something they disagree with, then you should probably not be there in the first place.

    Now for more digressions....

    This is a bit of more open interpretation on my side and CommuterBoy is hardly the only man guilty of this, but he has two personal threads on this bike, as well as posting on the monstercross forum. Probably all on the same day.

    Forum bylaws- "The message has been posted to more than 2 boards. Posting the same message to multiple boards is spam, and all posts may be removed and the user may be banned. Please post to the most relevant board only, no more than 2."

    So he's being spammy. Not a big deal, I'm not supposed to curse and be a ****, either.

    But this is my main point- this is MTBR. The idea is to share ideas and be a general resource. Rear brake only is not acceptable on road bikes, commuters and mountain bikes. It is important make that point and for people to understand why. As I said initially, CommuterBoy may never ever need that front brake, but you never know, which is why you should have one there.

    Cycling is a niche, and because of negative public opinion there are a lot of trails closed to cyclists and there is a lot of pavement that is unfriendly to commuters/road cyclists. Irresponsible braking on trails causes lots of issues, just like people running risks in traffic by having no or simply a rear brake. As a community we should be informing, rather that misinforming and then thinking we are above logic.

  42. #42
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks View Post
    Ignore them. They are showing their true intelligence by cutting you down because you don't think like them or use their logic of w/e. Doesn't seem you'll be doing hardcore **** that would require front brakes, anyways. Hell, I did DH using just rear brakes and didn't even skid. It's all in how you operate your brakes.

    Keep with your rear brake. Make them mad.

    Edit: Damn... You put on your front brake. Now I wont get to read angry internet words that consist of ****** and me trying to guess what silly little word they are using.
    It isn't DH if it is your driveway.

  43. #43
    Gotta pay to play
    Reputation: michaelscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    I think you are wrong. The world is filled with stupid people, so you are going to get really stupid people in any situation, forums certainly not excluded...
    Uh oh. Umarth's anger management course hasn't taught him about sarcasm yet.

    My apologies.

  44. #44
    Blue Pig
    Reputation: Blksocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,553
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    It isn't DH if it is your driveway.
    You finally caught on, huh?
    Ragley Blue Pig

  45. #45
    Bedwards Of The West
    Reputation: CommuterBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,440
    I posted a thread in the commuter forum saying "hey, I built a new bike out of that old commuter", a thread here saying "can you guys help me with this chain tensioner", and a picture in another "post a picture of your bike" thread. That's hardly "the same message on multiple boards".

    I'd love to leave this on a positive note if possible... so let me say that I agree with you as far as the sharing ideas, general resource nature of the forums, and even as far as the public opinion concerning cyclists and how important it is. I would however argue that the "public" in general probably couldn't glance at any of the crazy bikes we ride and identify how many brakes it has or whether or not it is "safe"...they are looking at our actions. Personally, my actions do a lot to help the public opinion of cyclists, rather than hurt it.

    What got under my skin more than anything was the pointless assumptions that were made here.
    This is my first post in the singlespeed forum, and I'm convinced that the majority of singlespeed riders are idiots now, based on the actions of just a few of you.

    My question was "is this chain tensioner set up right?" and the response was "you are an idiot who skids on mountain bike trails and destroys things and causes traffic accidents, and you obviously have no riding skills whatsoever."
    That's not sharing ideas and being a general resource.

    Someone in the commuting forum said "hey, why the rear brake and not a front, since you get more stopping power out of the front?" and I explained myself, and that was that. That's sharing ideas and being a general resource. The singlespeed forum seems to be all about sharing insults and being a general prick.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

  46. #46
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,367
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Uh oh. Umarth's anger management course hasn't taught him about sarcasm yet.

    My apologies.
    Hilariously, I posted "you are wrong" to see if you'd get butt hurt. Reread and realize I use a different route to the same conclusion, so I wasn't actually disagreeing, I was just being a dick. I didn't think it was that subtle, but...

  47. #47
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,367
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I posted a thread in the commuter forum saying "hey, I built a new bike out of that old commuter", a thread here saying "can you guys help me with this chain tensioner", and a picture in another "post a picture of your bike" thread. That's hardly "the same message on multiple boards".

    I'd love to leave this on a positive note if possible... so let me say that I agree with you as far as the sharing ideas, general resource nature of the forums, and even as far as the public opinion concerning cyclists and how important it is. I would however argue that the "public" in general probably couldn't glance at any of the crazy bikes we ride and identify how many brakes it has or whether or not it is "safe"...they are looking at our actions. Personally, my actions do a lot to help the public opinion of cyclists, rather than hurt it.

    What got under my skin more than anything was the pointless assumptions that were made here.
    This is my first post in the singlespeed forum, and I'm convinced that the majority of singlespeed riders are idiots now, based on the actions of just a few of you.

    My question was "is this chain tensioner set up right?" and the response was "you are an idiot who skids on mountain bike trails and destroys things and causes traffic accidents, and you obviously have no riding skills whatsoever."
    That's not sharing ideas and being a general resource.

    Someone in the commuting forum said "hey, why the rear brake and not a front, since you get more stopping power out of the front?" and I explained myself, and that was that. That's sharing ideas and being a general resource. The singlespeed forum seems to be all about sharing in****s and being a general prick.
    I told you early on that I'm the only ****** here, as you saw that everyone was fairly supportive of your build. Moreso than on the monstercross picture thread (and I do think yours sorta is legit, so there is that), really. Your rode out your party line as you wanted to, but of course, when one decides on that course of action, you gotta expect the other person to come back swinging, especially when you are wrong in your stance. The more you resist, the more that experienced people are going to come back at you.

    For the record, I'm not making this a personal thing. I was always think you are being ****ing willfully stupid about this one subject. I won't tear into you again, unless, you do something stupid again.

    And I've been really really happy to see you've been commuting through the years.

  48. #48
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks View Post
    You finally caught on, huh?
    Yeah, but I went soooo much faster than you cause I had a front brake.

  49. #49
    Ovaries on the Outside
    Reputation: umarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,367
    Connect Four.

  50. #50
    Gotta pay to play
    Reputation: michaelscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    Hilariously, I posted "you are wrong" to see if you'd get butt hurt. Reread and realize I use a different route to the same conclusion, so I wasn't actually disagreeing, I was just being a dick. I didn't think it was that subtle, but...
    Cool story but you seem kind of angry all the time. That's too bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •