Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I Ride for Donuts

I built a singlespeed. help me with this tensioner?

So I built up my old Nashbar frame as a singlespeed, and I haven't ridden 1 gear since my BMX days. I'm going to have to play with gear ratio and figure that out, but that's pretty self-explanitory.

This frame has traditional drop-outs, so I needed a tensioner. I found this cool tensioner from Origin 8 that's a 2 pully tensioner, and it's several thousand dollars cheaper than the Paul one

I got it becuase I think I might want to put a double chainring up front on this bike and have a 2-speed thing going, and the 2 pully tensioner can compensate for the difference in chain length.

I think I have it set up pretty much right, but I'm not sure. Does anyone else use one of these? My only complaint about it is that the bolt that sets the chainline is the same bolt that sets the swingy-part for tension, so you basically have to set it up for both chainline and tension before you put the chain on the bike. I wound up taking the chain off and on a few times before I was sort of happy with it.

Any advice on set-up for one of these things?

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Looks alright to me, the chain is routed correctly. Providing the tensioner is aligned with the rear sprocket (and your chainline is straight) then you're good to go.

Normally you'd start with a 2:1 gearing, that looks a bit taller than that. But, it depends on where you're riding it. I assume by the slicks that it's for pavement duties? If so, you can get away with a taller gear. Of course, that's general info, it depends on the terrain, your strength and pedalling style (ie: spinner or grinder) etc.

No front brake? You get more braking power out of the front than the rear. Just something to consider.

Grumps

I Ride for Donuts
    I know the chainline is good, I'm more curious about the 'swinging' part of this tensioner... should it be more down like a derailleur, or pulled up high like I have it? ...might not matter until I have another chainring on the front and I need the 'swing' to make up for a smaller gear. I'm assuming that the way I have it is in 'high' gear position, and I'll need it to be able to swing down for the lower gear. ...?

I am stoked on the one rear brake. I didn't intend to use a monster 185mm rotor, but I had the rotor and the adapter, so it was the free option. I rode BMX long enough to appreciate having only a rear brake. I have ridden motocross and mountain bikes long enough to appreciate the importance of a front brake. ...but yes, this is primarily for pavement duties (although I live on a dirt road so it will see some of that). It will see some gravel/rail trail use also.

surly inbred
    Nevermind, I have no useful info whatsoever.
    Last edited by TroutBum; 01-10-2012 at 03:28 PM.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    I do want to take a minute to recognize this bit of wisdom below. It's a rare bird that wanders into ss'ville with common ****ing sense, and for that I thank you.
    What, were you expecting: "I want to build a singlespeed and ride it sort of uphill and sort of downhill and sort of steeper parts in some sections and, so, like, what gear ratio do I want?"

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Normally they run a little more "vertical", at least the Paul's Melvin ones that I've seen in action are set up more vertically like a derailleur cage.

Not sure how much tension is on the tensioner spring, and therefore on the chain. If it isn't straining under tension then I'd say it was fine. Obviously when you go to a twin ring setup (if you do decide to go that way) you'll have the tensioner "pointing down" for the small rin and "pointing more forward" for the big ring.

So in a non-committal summary, there's probably nothing wrong with that if the chain and tensioner aren't under strain though an extra pair of links wouldn't hurt either.

Grumps

I Ride for Donuts
    Well I started messing with it when I got home from work, and while I was at it I realized that I hadn't checked before... so I started playing with the chain, and it appears that I have stumbled upon a "magic gear" in my first attempt at building a singlespeed. So I ditched the tensioner. The chain was too tight to get the master link on when it was around both sprockets, just just barely...so I took it off of the front chainring, hooked up the master link, and backpedaled it onto the chainring just like I used to do to the BMX bikes, and bam: perfectly tight chain.

It always works like that when you're building a singlespeed, right?

So I guess I'll make this gear ratio work

I will run it like this for a while and then experiment with the 'dinglespeed' 2 gear thing.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I built a singlespeed.  help me with this tensioner?-ss.jpg  

one chain loop
    sweet.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    That does look *****in'.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Ha! I got censored! It was a compliment.

That does look bit chin'.

Grumps

Ovaries on the Outside
    I was kinda onboard with this whole SS notion for you, but then you went and played uber 'tard. Out of most people, I feel like you should know a little better than to roll with one brakes on a SS, especially the rear only.

I'm not saying that you are going to go out for a ride tomorrow, find yourself in a hairy situation, and rather than having a brake in a position to get 70% of your stopping power, you only have 30% due to some strange need to stick with the rear only, and you needed 50%. You might bike for a ****ing long time before physics catches up with you. Or you could take a casual roll down the street and end up in a Ford Explorer's wheel well. Go throw away your helmet while you are at it.

Also, and this may be nit picking, but I was a bit chuffed about the rotor interface on the front wheel not facing towards the disc tab. It felt like you were rubbing it in.

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    also, and this may be nit picking, but i was a bit chuffed about the rotor interface on the front wheel not facing towards the disc tab. It felt like you were rubbing it in.
    ^^^lol
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Very Nice build man!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I will run it like this for a while and then experiment with the 'dinglespeed' 2 gear thing.
    Thanks for the replies.
    If you got a magic gear that works and keeps working (good luck with THAT by the way, whcih is an entirely separate, multiple-thread ongoing debate)... consider going with a true dinglespeed instead of two up front with a tensioner... Use two chain rings (one large on the outside, and one small on the inside) and two cogs (one large on the INSIDE, and one small on the OUTSIDE). MAke sure they have the same tooth count, and you should be good to go... you can't shift on the fly, but a gear change consists of a quick stop, drop the wheel out with the quick release and shift the chain over to the desired gear ratio.

Not sure if it is obivous from my description or not, but you are always using the inside cog with the inside chain ring and vice versa on the outside....

If you already knew what dinglespeed was, and I insulted your intelligence, please accept my most insincere apologies.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth View Post
    I was kinda onboard with this whole SS notion for you, but then you went and played uber 'tard. Out of most people, I feel like you should know a little better than to roll with one brakes on a SS, especially the rear only.

I'm not saying that you are going to go out for a ride tomorrow, find yourself in a hairy situation, and rather than having a brake in a position to get 70% of your stopping power, you only have 30% due to some strange need to stick with the rear only, and you needed 50%. You might bike for a ****ing long time before physics catches up with you. Or you could take a casual roll down the street and end up in a Ford Explorer's wheel well. Go throw away your helmet while you are at it.

Also, and this may be nit picking, but I was a bit chuffed about the rotor interface on the front wheel not facing towards the disc tab. It felt like you were rubbing it in.

See, your numbers are off. I'll actually have 100% of my stopping power Just becuase my stopping power isn't more, doesn't mean I don't have all of it.

This was my explanation of the rear brake in the commuter forum:
    "As for the rear instead of the front, I think that's a riding style thing. I have a heavy BMX background... didn't ride a bike with a front brake for a lot of years (other than a motocross bike). I'm very well aware of the stopping power of a front brake vs. a rear brake, but on any surface that isn't pavement, I'd much rather lock up the rear and throw it around than play with washing out the front. I go through rear brake pads on my mountain bike much faster than front ones. So if I'm only going to have one, it just has to be out back. This thing will see at least some dirt every time I ride it, and pine needles and potentially snow... all places I am primarily on the rear brake anyway. And on pavement, I can't imagine needing to stop any faster than this thing will stop. If I get in that situation I was going to crash anyway. At least I know I won't go over the bars."

You could take any bike in the world, and say that it's doesn't have all of the stopping power that it could have because it doesn't have a 300mm disc brake in the front. There are people who rely on riding skill, shifting weight, and knowing their equipment, and there are people who squeeze the thingies on the handlebar to stop and throw out percentages as if they're somehow going to keep them from crashing. Anyone who's ever raced BMX would pick a rear brake over a front.

Another thing you don't know is how rural my area is. If I wanted to end up in a Ford Explorer's wheel well, I'd have to hide behind a stop sign for several days before one happened by...then I'd have to remove the cow crap in order to fit myself in there.

I think now I'm going to mount a brake rotor on that front wheel...and leave it on the wrong side. In fact, I'll put a smaller one up there. The rear is 185, I have a spare 160.

What TroutBum said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Ovaries on the Outside
    In fact, I'll put a smaller one up there.
    Guess I wasted my time. ****ing 'tards will be just that and justifying their stupidity through what they think is logic. Go back to the commuting forum. There is a reason why I stopped visiting.

I Ride for Donuts
    Wow. You don't like the bike I built so I'm a ****ing 'tard? That's quite a leap. You know there's a whole wacky community of people out there with no brakes at all, right? Plus the entire BMX community, And all those ****ing 'tard 12 year old kids with their coaster brakes, just running amok out there with only 30% of thier potential stopping power... You have lots of work to do. They need to know how ****ing 'tarded they are.

Do we have some sort of a history that I'm unaware of? And are you an accurate sampling of the singlespeed forum? Because dude, you're sort of killing it for me.
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 01-10-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Wow. You don't like the bike I built so I'm a ****ing 'tard? That's quite a leap. You know there's a whole wacky community of people out there with no brakes at all, right? Plus the entire BMX community, And all those ****ing 'tard 12 year old kids with their coaster brakes, just running amok out there with only 30% of thier potential stopping power... You have lots of work to do. They need to know how ****ing 'tarded they are.

Do we have some sort of a history that I'm unaware of? And are you an accurate sampling of the singlespeed forum? Because dude, you're sort of killing it for me.
    I'm the biggest ****** on the SS forum, everyone else you'll like. We don't have a past history- I didn't think you'd be so stupid about your brake set up.

And more specifically, road riders/mtn riders who do rear brakes or none at all draw my ire. And those people are ****ing 'tards. I do bicycle planning for a living and those people are killing support all the time, whether it because they cause dangerous traffic situations or because they lock up the rear wheel and tear up local trails... you think you're offended by me, but I am way more offended by you.

Apr 2007
    This was my explanation of the rear brake in the commuter forum:
    "As for the rear instead of the front, I think that's a riding style thing. I have a heavy BMX background... didn't ride a bike with a front brake for a lot of years (other than a motocross bike). I'm very well aware of the stopping power of a front brake vs. a rear brake, but on any surface that isn't pavement, I'd much rather lock up the rear and throw it around than play with washing out the front. I go through rear brake pads on my mountain bike much faster than front ones. So if I'm only going to have one, it just has to be out back. This thing will see at least some dirt every time I ride it, and pine needles and potentially snow... all places I am primarily on the rear brake anyway. And on pavement, I can't imagine needing to stop any faster than this thing will stop. If I get in that situation I was going to crash anyway. At least I know I won't go over the bars."
    No offense, but if you can't properly and confidently utilize BOTH front and rear brakes on the trails, you're either a ******bag hipster or an über-noob. Either way, sounds like you need more trail time.

Oh, and stop tearing up the trails with rear wheel skids. May get you mad cred at the coffee shops, but does a lot of damage to the trails. I wanted to clothesline this last kid who also lacked front brake skills and must have skid 100 yards trying to stop before crashing into our group. Seriously, put on a front brake. It'll be ok. We have all endo'd, front wheels have done disappearing tricks, but it will help more than it will hurt. You will appreciate the newly acquired skill of stopping faster and safer, other trail users will appreciate the lack of ruts, and umarth will leave you alone and go back to consuming his favorite bacteria-poo beverage.

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ What in the world makes you think I'm going to ride this bike on mountain bike trails??? I would never build a mountian bike with one brake. Holy crap with the assumptions in this thread. Wow. Now you know how good I am (or amn't) at mountian biking? And how often I lock up the rear wheel? "you people" are amazing!! You can tell all of this from just looking at the rear brake on one of my bikes??? And I have to go to coffee shops now?? I had no idea what I was getting into when I built this thing. I'm going to have to get rid of it before I become these horrible things you all instantly think that I am!

So Umarth, you do "bicycle planning" for a living, but you hate some of the people who ride bicycles? That makes sense. It sounds like I'm being sacrastic, but I actually get that. I'm a teacher and I get pretty irritated with certain segments of the population that I serve.
    But one thing I don't do is completely stereotype someone before I have any idea if they actually fit the profile of the type of person I find difficult to tolerate.

You see one rear brake and you instantly assume that I'm some half-baked hipster, sliding sideways into intersections and gumming up traffic, or tearing up the local trails. In reality I'm the guy putting in hours helping to build the local trails, and I'm one of the very small percentage of bike commuters in the entire county (there might be 2 or 3 others, zero in the winter). It falls on me to maintain my relationship with 'traffic', since I know most of the people that I will be sharing those intersections with, and they know me. I have their kids in my classes and I probably go to church with them. I will certainly see them at the hardware store occasionally and they will comment about how crazy I am to be out there riding my bike to work in single digit temperatures. They will thank me for my bright blinky taillight and I will thank them for giving me lots of room. This happens regularly. We country folk don't have the luxury of simply hating someone and never seeing them again.

But you see a rear brake and you're instantly offended by me. I am a "bicycle planner's" dream cyclist. I'm the guy out there giving us a good name. I'm the guy turning around and heading home when the trails are too wet, because I put too much work into them to leave them rutted. But you'll never find that out because I have a rear brake on one of my bikes, so therefore I'm a ****ing 'tard. Think about the logic in that. That's almost as stupid as assuming that I'm going to be riding this bike on the mountain bike trails at all.

Do yourself and your career a favor and consider for a second the possiblility that "those people" aren't all exactly like the "those people" that you have in your mind. I like bikes, and I wanted to build a minimilastic one that wouldn't throw me to the ground when I applied the brake on slippery surfaces, since I ride all year and there's ice here. Does that make me a ****ing 'tard, or a fellow advocate? You might be wasting a lot of hate on people who have done nothing to earn it.
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 01-10-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Apr 2007
    ^^ What in the world makes you think I'm going to ride this bike on mountain bike trails???
    Uhhh.....I'm going to go out on a limb and make another assumption that people who log onto MounTainBikeReview are mountain bikers who ride on mountain bike trails. Either way, if you can't see the benefit of a front brake, on or off road, you're delusional.

Now you know how good I am (or amn't) at mountian biking? And how often I lock up the rear wheel? "you people" are amazing!!
    on any surface that isn't pavement, I'd much rather lock up the rear and throw it around than play with washing out the front. I go through rear brake pads on my mountain bike much faster than front ones.
    That actually says more than how it reads.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    That actually says more than how it reads.
    I'll rephrase then: ON A BIKE WITH ONE BRAKE, I'd rather lock up the rear wheel than the front on a slippery surface, becuase I don't like hitting my face on the ground.

On any bike worthy of being ridden on a mountain bike trail (WHICH THIS BIKE ISN'T) I will always have two brakes, and I will always get most of my stopping power out of the front, because that's what riding a mountian bike IS. I go through rear brake pads faster than front ones because I use the back brake a lot, not to lock up the rear wheel and destroy the trail, but becuase I learned to feather the rear brake on the BMX track and that's sort of my riding style. It's possible to actually use the rear brake without locking it up. Did you know that? Oh my Lord! Stop the insanity! What else do you know about me? Do tell.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Yup, ****ing 'tard. Clearly we're not going to agree that you're wrong, so go back to teaching Special Ed and let's not waste any more words.

Apr 2007
    It's possible to actually use the rear brake without locking it up. Did you know that?
    You can actually use a front brake without busting your melon on the pavement. Did you know THAT?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast