mtbr member
    Aug 2006

i built a Rig 29er full rigid, kicking around wide front tire, recommendations?

ok so my rig is all together!!!

Right now i have IRC mythos on the wheels (Bontrager Race Disc 29) just because i had them laying around.

I also have a WTB Exiwolf sitting down there and the original Jones that came on my paragon.

i was kicking around going WTB Weirwolf with the 29x2.55 LT as a front.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I was thinking about running a fat plush tire up front to help make up for not having a shock.

Hit me up with any ideas!

mtbr member
    I like my Panaracer Rampage upfront alot. The exi is just ok.
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

Welcome to the Gem...
    weirwolf for the win. getting myself one here soon. keep in mind though... a big plush tire is not a shock
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
    ok so my rig is all together!!!

Right now i have IRC mythos on the wheels (Bontrager Race Disc 29) just because i had them laying around.

I also have a WTB Exiwolf sitting down there and the original Jones that came on my paragon.

i was kicking around going WTB Weirwolf with the 29x2.55 LT as a front.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I was thinking about running a fat plush tire up front to help make up for not having a shock.

Hit me up with any ideas!
    Depends greatly on where you ride. The LT (Low Tread) does not have much bite to it, if you're looking for more aggressive tread go with something like the Rampage (similar to a Nevegal) If you ride on rock more than dirt the LT is a good fit

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    sweet, thanks for the input!

i put my 2.3 exiwolf on the rear and my Jones XR on the front. did ok till i got a pinch flat (running front too low and jumped a rock, oh well).

defenitely going to do something with more bite in the front.

Single Track Slayer
    Panaracer Rampage all the way... Exiwolf in second place.
    Life is like a bicycle to stay upright you have to keep moving.

trail rat
    Biggest tire out there is a Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4, but they do no have durable sidewalls if run tubeless, wider than the WW2.55lt.

The WW 2.55LT is light tread, and it does not work for me up front with the BBs to pebbles over hard pack that we have in central coastal CA.

I agree with the Rampage and run it on the front with one wheel set, and look at the Geax Saguaro; even though listed as a 2.2, it is tall and has great volume. Here are some specs from shiggy's sadly outdated site.

Also the Bontrager Dry X (now XDX) has good volume, and though I do not have much time on it, I like it and it does have armored sidewalls.
    Last edited by slocaus; 09-21-2008 at 08:05 PM.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

awesome
    stay away from the weirwolf othe than for fireroads and smooth sticky hardpack.

mtbr member
    I run the 2.55 weirwolf race LT on the front of my MC29r (exiwolf 2.3" rear), and really like the combo. I've never had a problem with traction here in NC, and with the pressures dialed, the ride is great too.

mtbr member
    Yeah the Weirwolf has deceptive amounts of traction. I agree that on loose gravel it's a little iffy as well as really soft topped hardpack. I will say that I have really liked the supportive sidewalls of the WTB tires vs. the Racing Ralphs. The sidewalls are so thin they just do not inspire confidence at lower pressures. I know since the sidewall is thin pressures should be kept a little higher. The WTB's add a nice slower rebound effect. It really eats up multiple little 3-4inch downhill roots very well. The Racing Ralphs with their thin side wall are almost like a SID setup with super fast rebound damping.

Even as a racer I never really enjoyed the super fast rebound feeling from SID's. Thus being a non-suspension racer I'll take a Stout or Weirwolf any day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Biggest tire out there is a Conti Racing Ralph 2.4
    Schwalbe not Continental.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Schwalbe not Continental.
    Duh! corrected

That's what I get for having four MTBR windows open and replying to two threads at once.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The correction is for everyone else. I know you know.

Members who have read this thread: 0