sufferer of a.d.d.

New question here. i am new and have a frame question

i want to build up a ss and dont want to spend alot of money. this will be a 95% street bike and i don't want it to be too flashy because i want to be able to chain it to a pole when i go get coffee and what not. i am thinking about making something like a kona dew but single speed for the athletic training benefits. is making a single speed out of a road bike frame possible/advisable or should i look for a used mtb frame? i know i can't get a wide rim/tire on a road bike frame but being that the bike will almost never see dirt i thought maybe just getting some of those biggish road tires with tread on them.

advise?

thanks in advance

34N 118W

one option

if it won't see much dirt, look for an older steel road frame with forward (or rear) facing slotted rear drops. I would try a SS fixed gear setup and put on the widest cyclocross tires that you can fit. That will make a simple non-flashy commuter. The fixed gear will wake up your senses, and the tires can handle some dirt. Gear it in the 42/17 neighborhood. And a fixie has it's own built-in theft deterrent Run front-only or F&R brakes.

HW

Quote Originally Posted by warmseth
    i want to build up a ss and dont want to spend alot of money. this will be a 95% street bike and i don't want it to be too flashy because i want to be able to chain it to a pole when i go get coffee and what not. i am thinking about making something like a kona dew but single speed for the athletic training benefits. is making a single speed out of a road bike frame possible/advisable or should i look for a used mtb frame? i know i can't get a wide rim/tire on a road bike frame but being that the bike will almost never see dirt i thought maybe just getting some of those biggish road tires with tread on them.

advise?

thanks in advance

34N 118W
    here's a nice example

from eelPie's post on the old SS board:
    http://forums13.consumerreview.com/c...6e3.0@.efe669a

Probably drunk right now

Great Advice From Hollywood....

My subject seems like an oxymoron, but it's not.

Hollywood offered you the correct advice. The only thing I would add is that you should "paint" your frame with duct tape or electrical tape. This may decrease the value of the bike, in a theif's eyes.

Ken

King Pin

Good point, Ken!

Did a nice duct tape job on the TurboCat lightage installed on my
    commuter a coupla years ago. A thief would have a nice light if'n he just "undid" the velcro strap on 'er...hasn't happened, yet!

Duck tape has so many uses.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    My subject seems like an oxymoron, but it's not.

Hollywood offered you the correct advice. The only thing I would add is that you should "paint" your frame with duct tape or electrical tape. This may decrease the value of the bike, in a theif's eyes.

Ken