Thread: A humbling day

El Mas Chingon

A humbling day

I just got back from roding in Ruidoso, New Mexico. It was definitely an experience. I am in the Army so I have had a chance to ride in places such as Germany, Egypt, Korea, Hawaii and most recently Iraq. I am now stationed in El Paso, Tx and went to Ruidoso this weekend to go camping with my wife and kids. I bought a bike here on the classifieds a couple weeks ago. It was a Santa Cruz Chameleon set up as a single speed. I thought to myself I am in shape, I can ride this no problem. I had been riding it all week finding myself with the bike. I rode it for the fiirst time on a trail this weekend and it kicked my a$$. I have never felt so defeated. By the first half mile I was done. I can use excuses like the altitude all day but it was deinitely the one gear, I am not done though, I will live to fight another day. I already have plans to go back to Ruidoso by the end of summer and conquer my enemy. I will overcome!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Moots Cinco
    Vassago Optimus Ti
    Cervelo Prodigy

now known as P.I.-SSer
    Dec 2004
    that's alright, we all had to start somewhere!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Good job! in time, you will...

Quote Originally Posted by vicarvizu
    I just got back from roding in Ruidoso, New Mexico. It was definitely an experience. I am in the Army so I have had a chance to ride in places such as Germany, Egypt, Korea, Hawaii and most recently Iraq. I am now stationed in El Paso, Tx and went to Ruidoso this weekend to go camping with my wife and kids. I bought a bike here on the classifieds a couple weeks ago. It was a Santa Cruz Chameleon set up as a single speed. I thought to myself I am in shape, I can ride this no problem. I had been riding it all week finding myself with the bike. I rode it for the fiirst time on a trail this weekend and it kicked my a$$. I have never felt so defeated. By the first half mile I was done. I can use excuses like the altitude all day but it was deinitely the one gear, I am not done though, I will live to fight another day. I already have plans to go back to Ruidoso by the end of summer and conquer my enemy. I will overcome!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's ok. at least you've tried and will live to try again. i have riding buddies who are in great shape who won't even think of riding a SS on trails. they all think i'm nuts or something. being in shape, imo, is totally different from being in cycling shape. it just takes a little bit of time to get to where you want to be - just keep riding your SS. i've been SS now for about 2 months, 2-3x a week and never felt better (my poor gearies stays home ).. i go where my riding buddies go and even get there first at times. it's also mind over matter - just keep saying you'll do it.
    well, keep riding and enjoy the experience of SS. in time, you'll definitely overcome and conquer your enemy.