mtbr member

Hubs for Singlespeed Use

Hi all. What hub would you recommend if I said it would be for a commuter, that I wanted more points of engagement than Shimano hubs and that my budget is only $100-$200? I find it slightly frustrating to not have engagement right away. I've checked out what King has to offer but they're WAY out of my reach.

mtbr member
    have you considered fixed? i find it great for commuting... plus... no engagement issues!!

mtbr member
    I have considered a fixed hub but I like being able to coast, especially in the winter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    dt swiss 370 = best commuter hub ever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeed McGee
    I have considered a fixed hub but I like being able to coast, especially in the winter.
    Actually, winter is where fixed really shines. Total control of the rear wheel over slick surfaces. It's amazing how much more control it provides.

I'd just get an ENO Trials FW and a Surly hub.

mtbr member
    The new Shimano XT hubs have more engagement points than the older ones.

No dishless hub flange spacing though.
    Ride more!

mtbr member
    Surly hubs, bub

Terror of Sidewalls
    Jul 2007
    How about the Surly new disc fixed hub? Thread on a track cog or a freewheel depending on season or mood, and still be able to run a brake. I'm having one built up right now for my commuter.

local trails rider
    Hope.
    Then you don't need to use the bell so often either, when riding near pedestrians.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info! I'll probably just use a Surly hub with one of their freewheels. I should also tell you that I'm running rim brakes and that my frame doesn't have horizontal dropouts.

metrotuned WoS
    Surly hub (if it's non disc, you have many quality options), matched to a White Industries ENO freewheel should be under $200. However, it seems like you are trying to convert a geared bike with vertical drops into a single speed with a magic gear - that has been done, but they don't call it "magic" because it's easy. Good luck.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    The hub I'm using right now is a cheap Shimano cassette hub with a singlespeed conversion kit on. I have a cheap tensioner in place of the derailleur. I've already converted it, I was just wondering what to use as a better hub.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for all the info! I'll probably just use a Surly hub with one of their freewheels. I should also tell you that I'm running rim brakes and that my frame doesn't have horizontal dropouts.
    Careful, don't buy a Surly hub and a Surly SS cog, that dog won't hunt. The White Industries freewheel is an outstanding product (when my last SS was stolen, that freewheel was the most painful loss) and expensive but it should last long enough to be cheaper than the multiple ACS freewheels that you would likely use otherwise.

mtbr member
    I like the look of the White Industries freewheel but I'm not sure I'd be able to get it at the LBS I work at. I'll check though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I like the look of the White Industries freewheel but I'm not sure I'd be able to get it at the LBS I work at. I'll check though.
    The awesome thing about White Industries (for shop employees) is that you can just call and say, "I work at __________ bike shop and I want to buy your stuff." No forms or hoops to jump through. I love their freewheels but I wouldn't have bought them if I wasn't in the industry. That said, since you can EP stuff, I'd consider going the cassette hub route for versatility/ease of switching gears. The Dos Eno on my 'cross bike works great, but I would like more gear choices without having to shell out for another Eno or settle for an ACS ( I guess I'm a bit spoiled).

mtbr member
    Does White Industries ship products to Canada?

aka baycat
    Hope Trials/SS hub.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    white industries - a little out of you range but much better then kings -