Thread: hubs hubs hubs

rho
    Captain Pinchflat

hubs hubs hubs

Anyone running surly ultra new hubs? (Disc/freewheel) love em?? hate em?? I'm torn between going with a thread on cog or looking at some other hub with a splined freehub body.

Why all the hub anxiety? I need a new rear hub for my inbred because the crappy WTB singleduty hub just aint cutting it anymore.

Sent by smoke signal.

Robtre
    I want a set too. White Industries is supposed to have the best freewheel cog but thats assuming I commit to just one cog at $100/piece. Otherwise its build another Hope / Flow combo which has never let me down.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    I have a surly new hub on a set of wheels and the hub rocks, never had a problem. My current rear wheel is a Flow ex with a DMR revolver ss hub, threaded, and I run one of them there ultra pimp White Ind. free wheels and I love it. If you're anxious about dropping that kind of cash on a freewheel only to wish you had a different tooth count, they make some dual freewheels, like 18/16 17/19 or something. I just went with 17t and change my front ring when necessary.

The new surly hubs have adjustable bearings, and high flanges. I prefer the old school 1x1 hubs, which they no longer make. Which is why I went with DMR revolver, which is almost identical to the old 1x1 hubs.
    Registered pedalphile.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been using Paul hubs for 9 years and they have never let me down. Use the white industries freewheel as your go to gear with ACS free wheels for change outs

mtbr member
    Paul hubs are awesome. My next wheel set will be on Pauls
    Registered pedalphile.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've had my Surly Ultra New hubs for five or six months and they're fine. I'll probably buy them again in the future.

rho
    Captain Pinchflat

Re: hubs hubs hubs

Yeah, im a bit warry on the subject of different sized freewheels, BUT the 34x21 ive been running is a good gear for my area and for doing all day rides. Thanks for the recs on other freewheels. It looks like the surlys and a white ind freewheel are in my future.

Sent by smoke signal.

mtbr member
    could always go with a surly hub and a Tomicog
    Registered pedalphile.

mtbr member
    I have been using the Surly new hubs disc, threaded solid axle, from last spring/summer to the present. I have not had any problem since I built them, but it did take awhile for me to dial them in just right, it took some patience to adjust the cartridge bearings. As I understand it, the ultra new hubs have a different axle that uses an allen nut instead of a track nut and the cartridge bearings are not as adjustable as they were previously. It seems that Surly has tried to make it a little easier to adjust the bearings and to remove the wheel from the frame whilst retaining the look and security of a non-qr set up. It probably weighs a little less than the solid axle too. The hub body itself hasn't changed and I find that it looks and feels solid. I would also recommend the WI freewheel, more bang but also more a little more buck.
    No fuss with the MUSS

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatsinglespeeder View Post
    I've had my Surly Ultra New hubs for five or six months and they're fine. I'll probably buy them again in the future.
    +1, I'm a fan of the cartridge bearings. These things spin FOREVER and oh so smooth. Poor man's Phil Woods. Love them so much, I have two wheelsets with 'em, and one day I might upgrade my "New" Surly 1x1 (anniversary model - RED) to the "Ultra-New" innards. Great stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    Poor man's Phil Woods. Great stuff.
    Soooo true. You can replace them with Phils later if you want to as well. I also think it is nice that current owners can updgrade innards if desired.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Soooo true. You can replace them with Phils later if you want to as well. I also think it is nice that current owners can upgrade innards if desired.
    what was happening with your WTB hub? I have been running mine for 5+ years and love them! just relaced them to i19 rims and have been beating the hell out of them with no issues!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chansel View Post
    what was happening with your WTB hub? I have been running mine for 5+ years and love them! just relaced them to i19 rims and have been beating the hell out of them with no issues!
    I'm assuming you mean to ask Rho what happened to his WTB hub.

I'll answer anyway, I still have that WTB speed disc front wheel with a WTB hub, I just haven't been using it since I built my current wheelset with the Surly new hubs. It still spins smoothly and is in the respectable spot as backup after its long tenure, I just couldn't resist the Surlys.
    No fuss with the MUSS

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by chansel View Post
    Took me long enough to get back to this thread...

I was planning on replacing them when I blew up a pawl in em. Of course, after tearing them down, and reassembling I broke a bolt off in the axle... Felt it stretch and went Oooooooooohh crap. Then snap. After I got em I've had tons of bearing issues with the rear as well. It always had about 2mm of lateral play that just wouldn't go away, even after replacing all the bearings.

They seem like they'd work well for a lighter rider, but I'm 200lbs and they just haven't held up.