mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Hubs: Hope, Hadley, I9

I am looking to upgrade my wheels, more specifically my hubs. I currently ride ZTR hubs laced to Arch rims. I will continue to use Arch rims, but I want a hub upgrade. I am looking at Hope, Hadley and I9. Hope can be had for the least amount of money and I9 for the most.
    Hope has 48 POE
    Hadley has 72 POE
    I9 120 POE

I have only ridden Hope of the above mentioned hubs. They were nice, but not mind blowing. Anybody have experience on all three hubs? I have to admit that prospect 120 POE makes me way more excited than it should Is it worth the cash?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    On a geared setup, I went from DT to I9, and noticed the I9 really helped me with the seated long climbs... I'm sure that will also help on a SS setup... I have Hopes on my SS now, but will go to I9 at some point...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have all 3. It feels like a big difference going from 48 to 72, but I barely notice going from 72 to 120. The I9s can be converted to any axle configuration. The Hadleys can be converted to most configurations, but I'm not sure about 142x12. My next wheel build will be I9 SS 142x12.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. It would be nice if Hadley actually had a website with some info.
    If it makes any difference I am looking at used I9 vs. new Hope or Hadley.

MTB B'dos
    I don't SS, but I've had a Pro2 SS/Trials hub built for the last going on 5 years and I like it a lot, great engagement, really fast to me, like the loud "buzz". One small note, there is a lot of drag I find, if there was one thing they could improve, this would be it, other than that love them. Another Option out there is the new NukeProof GeneratorSC hub aimed at the same market like me of people using 5,6, 7 cogs on an splined SS hub.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Desert RAT
    IMHO I9's are probably the best hubs on the face of the planet! I have Hopes and I9's, The I9's are my fave, hope makes a great product though, I don't think you will be disappointed with either one, I think it's the sound the I9's make that makes me like em so much..lol

mtbr member

Hubs: Hope, Hadley, I9

Hadely all the way they spin the smoothest of all the mentioned hubs. My Hadley's on arch rims
    ilovebikes.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    hadley are the best bang for the buck imho. 72 poe is enough, they had 108 and stuck with 72 later. they aren;t as blingy as i9, but they are solid and a great value. i've had kings, hadleys, i9, xtr, xt, dt swiss and pretty much just stick with hadley now unless i find a killer deal on kings.

openwound
    Another huge fan of Hadley hubs. I've got them on both of my ss bikes. As mentioned, they spin crazy fast. They make a nice sound, too. And if you ever need it, their customer service is top-notch. A real small operation but just superb hubs.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just built a set of wheels over the winter with a set of haldey SS hubs and i23 rims. I am really impressed with the hubs. Like everybody said, they roll forever! Going down hills is crazy with the amount of speed that these hubs will pick up. The sound is really nice and they are pretty trick looking too. GOOGLE the hadley, kings, hopes and I9. An article that rated all the hubs at once has hadley as the best priced hub out of all the hubs. For the price and quality, you can not beat hadley!

mnoutain bkie rdier
    POE is a bit over rated. It is neat, but the pay off is very minimal from all the lit I have read and via personal experience.

This is coming from someone who has ridden/raced many years on Hopes/Kings and I9s. Longevity is clearly a talking point with some higher end hubs.

I am currently running Amer Classic hubs and am happy with the lack of noise. Some love the buzzzzzzzzzzz of the bling hubs. I got tired of it really. I also did not like that someone always knew I was on their tail during a race..haha.

Also, a lot of these high end hubs have a bit of resistence built in and will not spin/roll as long as others.

Having said this, resistance in the hub isn't a big deal either. The only time this matters is when you are coasting. If speed matters, then most likely you are already coasting fast enough that you have hands full of brake levers anyhow!

Next time you are coasting on the trail, pay attention to this. You will be surprised at how little it would matter that you could "potentially be coasting .00004 mph faster" sorta thing. Most likely you are thinking...."I love my brakes!" or "I hate my brakes!"

Also, you may want to consider DT Swiss hubs. Really nice imo!

Also, for what it's worth, the POE thing was only slightly noticeable on my single speed bikes. Again...slightly. I did not notice anything advantageous at all on my geared bikes.
    Last edited by rydbyk; 04-04-2013 at 08:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What is it about the Stans hub that you don't like? I consider the stans hub a quality hub for what it is. What kind of riding do you do? I am assuming SS XC? I think those are the real question. If I am correct the stans hub has 32 POE and spin decently well.

I currently own stans, DT240, and I9. I am happy/content with all three hubs but the DT240 is my definite favorite. The I9 is by far the slowest roller of all of them, and the POE feels cool when I am playing around with the bike or trying to do tricky things. I feel that POE is overrated for the most part unless you are trials riding or something similar and need the precision. If you are engaged then POE doesn't matter, and if you are freewheeling then POE doesn't matter. It only matters when you are doing a lot of start/stop pedaling. Do you find yourself doing this very often?

I started off on a MTB with a WTB hub with 15 POE. Now, that felt sloppy. At anything above 30, it's good enough for the riding I do.

A second point is that it sounds like you are wanting to disassemble your stans wheel set which doesn't make much sense to me because you will have to buy new spokes with whatever hubs you buy. At that point you are only 2 rims away from having a 2 total wheelsets instead of one wheelset and 2 stans hubs laying around.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm a hope user. I've been really pleased with them. If I was starting a fresh and had plenty of cash I may look at I9. But I can't see the point in paying extra when i'm really pleased with what I have.

If budget is an issue, maybe worth looking at one of the cheaper hubs and better spokes or more beer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    What is it about the Stans hub that you don't like? I consider the stans hub a quality hub for what it is. What kind of riding do you do? I am assuming SS XC? I think those are the real question. If I am correct the stans hub has 32 POE and spin decently well.
    Nothing wrong with them at all. They are a great value as far as quality, performance, and weight. I have a set on both single speeds. One set has the single speed hub, and the other has the standard hub set up for single speeed. One of the bikes is ridden on trails with lots of rocks and general chunk. I find my self doing half pedals, track stands etc to get through rock gardens. Having a bit more than 32 POE would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    A second point is that it sounds like you are wanting to disassemble your stans wheel set which doesn't make much sense to me because you will have to buy new spokes with whatever hubs you buy. At that point you are only 2 rims away from having a 2 total wheelsets instead of one wheelset and 2 stans hubs laying around.
    I will buy complete wheels. I was just saying that I will buy new wheels with Arch rims.

Thanks to everybody for all the comment. Hadley seems to be the way to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    the argument for poe really comes into play on rocky technical climbs. when racheting and trackstanding on climbs i really appreciate higher points of engagement.

ftr i roll with both hope pro2 ss/arch ex and crossmax's. there is no comparison when climbing.

hope FTW!!!

6x7=Dont Panic!
    I have owned three sets of Chris Kings, ridden Hadleys, never touched I9's. I loved my kings and am currently riding some Hope Pro II's on my main ride. Can I feel a difference in engagement? Sure. Do my current hubs perform well? Yes, very much so.

Depending on why you want the hubs and what you expect to get out of them should weigh in on your decision. If you want fast engagement take a look at the S3 hubs from TruePrecision. If you want something light check out the I9's or Kings. If you want quality and don't want to spend as much look for the Hopes or Hadleys used. All are very good options.
    Herro prease