Thread: Hub Dilemma

mtbr member

Hub Dilemma

So, I picked up a 1x1 frame to replace my converted schwinn. I have almost all of the parts, but I am debating whether my QR hub will work for this bike. I have a set of Tuggnuts on the way. Should I get a bolt-on hub, or will my QR XT work for this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet_Corn
    So, I picked up a 1x1 frame to replace my converted schwinn. I have almost all of the parts, but I am debating whether my QR hub will work for this bike. I have a set of Tuggnuts on the way. Should I get a bolt-on hub, or will my QR XT work for this?
    quick release will work fine. The tuggnuts come ready to adapt to a QR. By set I figure you mean two which will be best for QR use.

mtbr member
    I run a QR hub in horizontal dropouts with one tuggnut (drive side only) and have had no problems whatsoever. BulC on here always advocates QR hubs with no tuggnuts and swears he doesn't have any problems. Just make sure you have a good steel QR and you'll be fine.

Account Retired

Surly-SweetCorn

Congrats on the new ride! I have no imput on your question, cuz I've always ss'd with a bolt on without tensioners. Most of the Q advocate a tensioner with the bolt on, like wearing suspenders and a belt. Is your Surly White or Black? When do we get pictures? What's to happen to your pimped out Moab 3? Will it go into the SweetCorn Museum? Have you been keeping up with the GF-II news reports? Did you get the memo about the new cover sheets for the TPC Reports?

g

mtbr member

Pimped out Moab 3

Quote Originally Posted by LakeRaven
    Congrats on the new ride! I have no imput on your question, cuz I've always ss'd with a bolt on without tensioners. Most of the Q advocate a tensioner with the bolt on, like wearing suspenders and a belt. Is your Surly White or Black? When do we get pictures? What's to happen to your pimped out Moab 3? Will it go into the SweetCorn Museum? Have you been keeping up with the GF-II news reports? Did you get the memo about the new cover sheets for the TPC Reports?

g
    Thanks everyone else for their help.

I picked up a black frame. I'll get some pictures once I have it built up. I am transferring most of the parts off the pimped out ride over to this frame. I was planning on getting another bike this year, and this one was just what I found when looking for something else. Surly #2 may be on its way soon.

The Sweet Corn museum board of directors is wondering whether to include the frame in its collection, next to the baby shoes, broken frames and forks. If this were included I am sure that the travelocity "roaming gnome" would book all of its buddies to see the shrine (how about them for a GF sponsor, free airline tickets). I don't know If I can handle all those little buggers around at once.

GF-II will rock! I should have some extra firewood at that time, enough for a trunkload or two. I'm starting to pique the local interest here, so y'all can show them there locals how to have a good time riding.

Now back to patiently waiting for parts...