Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hub choice?

MMS
    mtbr member

Hub choice?

Having some 650B wheels built up soon. LBS is suggesting using XT hubs and spacers. Buddy says to go with DT. Wallet says no to DT.

What's your favorite wallet friendly SS hub?

mtbr member
    Hope, or Stan's 3.30SS (if you want a pre-built wheelset) would be my choices...

MMS
    mtbr member
    Thanks, pretty much a newb around here. Lot more lurking than posting.

AFTER posting my question there was a similar thread at the bottom with a Hope vs. King question. Hope seems to be coming thumbs up more than others.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Industry Nine classics.

mtbr member

Re: Hub choice?

Hope are killer for ss.

mtbr member
    Hope or King for color and bling. Surly for your wallet's benefit.
    "Ride what you love, love what you ride"

mtbr member
    Fixie Inc. Kick-Flip has served me well, got two of those. I can't find a fault with it and it's really affordable. I got mine at Only-Highend, Germany.

Brown: FIXIE Inc. - Kickflip brown - ONLY HIGHEND
    Black: FIXIE Inc. - Kickflip black 32H - ONLY HIGHEND

mtbr member
    The Hope SS Trails hub is nicer than their multi-speed hub IMO...steel freehub body and twice the engagement points.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

local trails rider
    I've had good luck with my Hope Pro2 SS/Trials hubs. (with the narrow freehub and spacers). Some have managed to break a pawl or spring, so I have a spare set that I haven't needed yet. On mine, the bolts are not the greatest, but I haven't had real problems with them. I've seen pics of cracked hubs, too. Apparently, all have been warrantied.

XT hubs can be quite good but their bearing arrangement requires relatively frequent maintenance and adjustment.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

MMS
    mtbr member
    Thanks all! Hope is sounding real good to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have Surly on my SS with a freewheel in the back....front hub was a little loose but no issues after adjustment, and this was before I even rode it once.

I have XT on my geared bike and not a single issue. I made sure the bearings were OK before I rode them for the first time. Rock solid so far, this will be summer season #2 on them. Everyone seems to think your spending every Saturday adjusting Shimano hubs before/after rides....this just isnt the case, If you adjust them properly you should have no issues....and adjusting them properly takes some finesse but its not hard. XT or SLX should be good and easy on your finances. YMMV. Happy wheel building!
    ACCESS Stealth 3.0 carbon 29'er
    GT-R Pro
    Surly 1x1
    Surly Disc Trucker

I'm gonna have to kill ya
    Go Hope SS hub, I have been rocking one on my SS for years and it has been flawless, just built a 29er SS up and got another Hope SS rear hub, this was actually one of the newer NRB ones.

Have a look on the various forums for a second hand one or wheelset with one, I got a fantastic set of Hopes on some No Tubes rims for less than half the cost of having hem built new
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hub choice?-20130327_172656.jpg  

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    I've had good luck with my Hope Pro2 SS/Trials hubs. (with the narrow freehub and spacers). Some have managed to break a pawl or spring, so I have a spare set that I haven't needed yet. On mine, the bolts are not the greatest, but I haven't had real problems with them. I've seen pics of cracked hubs, too. Apparently, all have been warrantied.

XT hubs can be quite good but their bearing arrangement requires relatively frequent maintenance and adjustment.
    Do you have an older model? I ask since many had issue with the bolts. The bolts on all of mine are huge, strong beasts. The head is deep allowing for great purchase on the wench. The bolts are anything but soft allowing many tighten/loosen cycles without fear of rounding out the hex. They also tighten with a satisfying hard stop. It never feels as if the axle or bolts would strip.

Single Speed Junkie
    All of the hubs listed here are a good choice. Have seen a few issues with hope hubs such as the hub body cracking and bolt issues but those are few and far between. Would not base my decision off of that for a hub as it was a few years back and guy who was riding those was very hard on components.

I've been rolling on Industry Nine and King hubs with out any issues. For a single speed hub key features in my mind would be durability, quick engagement and bolt on option even for vertical drop outs. After that see what your budget affords.

The old bolts where button head with a shallow allen socket, the were also made of Edam cheese, the bolts on the later NRB version are socket head with a deep allen key socket and made of tougher material.

Parts are cheap and they easy to work on

I had some Chris King hubs which were nice but so overpriced IMHO they offered nothing over Hopes despite maybe some bragging rights, you can build some nice wheels for the price of the Chris King Hubs

Here are the old bolts (I converted my first SS hub to QR and uses a chain tug) next to the bolts on my newer NRB SS Hope hub
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hub choice?-bolt.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have not owned Hopes, but have ridden with other who have them. If you don't mind riding through the woods sounding like an industrial plant then go ahead. Look up other threads about the sound of the hubs if relative silence is important to you. I have been riding the same WTB Single Duty hub for 6 years without maintenance and it is quiet, bombproof, and relatively light. I have a spare ready for when it fails but have not needed it. Engagement is slow but unless you are riding tech trails that is, in my opinion, irrelevant. The WTBs are hard to find but I believe that American Classics are virtually the same. It is a personal preference of mine, but I absolutely hate the sound of loud hubs and I think instant engagement is overrated for the majority of SS riding. My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Have not used them, but Paul's Word hub seems to be reasonably priced. Anyone know if they are any good?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Hub choice?

Quote Originally Posted by tuvok View Post
    Have not used them, but Paul's Word hub seems to be reasonably priced. Anyone know if they are any good?
    Yes, the WORD hub is good. Pair it with a White Ind freewheel.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Hub choice?

The pawls in the Stan's SS hub look identical to the engagement set up on my Bonty RXL multi-speed hub. Same red anodizing as well. Same hub???

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Do you have an older model? I ask since many had issue with the bolts.
    Mine are not the latest. I have ... a few ... years on two hubs. I have vertical dropouts, so don't need to go crazy tightening them.

Hopes are pretty loud, as mentioned. Other's don't need to see me to know where I am - except if I'm pedaling.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hope SS all the way - 3 years of abuse and no issues. You wont be dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Mine are not the latest. I have ... a few ... years on two hubs. I have vertical dropouts, so don't need to go crazy tightening them.

Hopes are pretty loud, as mentioned. Other's don't need to see me to know where I am - except if I'm pedaling.
    If the noise is an issue pull off the freehub and dump tons of grease in their, do this once a month and they will run almost silently.

I am used to riding Mountain Unicycles which any their nature are fixed gear so I don't tend to coast very often so I like it as it is like a lazy alarm to point out when I am not pushing hard enough, also it is an excellent "bell" when coming up on walkers as you tend to naturally slow down and coast and it gives them some warning

mtbr member
    I sold my Hope SSs wheels because they were too loud, the bolts (old version) stripped easily, and they came loose. Overall, I was disappointed with them. One good thing about Hope hubs is that they hold their value and I got a good amount for the re-sale.

On the other hand, Shimano XT 785 ($75) hubs have been flawless. The centerlock hubs weight 330 grams and have 36 POE. Of course the wheels will be dished, but I don't really buy into the dish-less argument.

Save the cash and buy Shimanos. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by roybatty666 View Post
    If the noise is an issue pull off the freehub and dump tons of grease in their, do this once a month and they will run almost silently....
    ... it is an excellent "bell" when coming up on walkers
    I use it as a "bell" too.
    Hope freehub is really easy to pull off, which can encourage us lazy bike maintainers to keep a closer eye on the condition of the hub.

HOV
    mtbr member

Another vote for Hope here. I've run XT and Hope 2 SS/Trials and there's no comparison.

A nice thing about Hope is the front converts between 9mm and 15mm TA in about 10s.

Yes, it sounds like a bucket of angry bees but that actually comes in handy for warning other riders, scaring away animals, and adding another dimension to the bling (audio).

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast