Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

How wide is too wide of a handlebar for SS?

Hi guys, newbie to SS here.

I've just build my 1st SS rigid with a 710mm riser handlebar. Coming from a 780mm low riser, it feels kinda small. Would running a 780mm bar on a rigid SS be too wide or just right?

I'm 5'6", 90kgs.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Subscribed.

I'm in a similar bind. I wasn't entirely satisfied with a 660mm bar, but I did have two of them. I taped them together and really clamped the stem down on them. The new bar was a little flexy, but not bad on rigid. The big problem was the "bar" was almost wider than my wingspan. On drops and bumps I'd hit my face on the topcap.

I need to go with something narrower, but right now anything shorter is too short.

(I run 660 and I'm happy with it. The answer is the width that you want to ride.)

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    my go-to bike is 700mm low-rise with a 45mm stem. i have a 630mm bar (my narrowest) on another bike and i hate it. don't ask me why i still have it.

to be honest, i don't know how you ran 780mm bars at 5-6. do you have freakishly long arms?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nope, last check with a mirror, I'm not an ape... LOL

I like the leverage it gives me on the descend. Body movement is so far ok on the bike I guess. But that's on a trail bike.

meatier showers
    I ran some ProTaper SE (7/8ths) motocross bars on my SS for a while... these were 32" (813mm) but I cut them down to 31" (787mm) which felt great but still kept me from getting between too many trees.

So I went back to "normal" bar width. Whatever that is.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member

how about...

800 mm? i'm enjoying my new Kore torsion bars on my xxix. Oh, i'm 6'3"

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    everyone has their own preference. try wide first, then narrow. then cut down your wide bar (if at all) until it feels like it's getting too close to the narrow. down here it's all flat XC riding so lots of people can get away with narrow bars (~600mm). if you live in the hills, the extra leverage will probably come in handy for the stand-and-hammer hills.

of course, if your home trail is anything like mine, 700mm is already pushing it...

<3mi of the windiest, tightest singletrack... the trees love to reach out and grab you. total elevation change: 15ft.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Geared bike sighting.

EDIT: because I dun spell turrible.

local trails rider
    There's no rules. You use what you like.

I have an 800mm Blackspire flat bar, shortened about an inch at each end because it felt too big at full length.

Many use bar ends for more leverage going uphill but that wouldn't be so good for the descents.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

talentless hack
    I ran a Gravity Light 800mm on my (geared) trail bike for awhile and thought I really loved it. My friends made fun of me but I didn't care; my super wide bar and I were destined for each other. I finally realized that riding a 6" FS on XC trails was kind of dumb and switched to a HT 29er with a 640mm bar, and it felt so much better. Over the last year I've realized that a bar that narrow puts strain on my hands from being cocked inwards, so my next bar will be 680mm. I think that's the sweet spot for me.

Personally, I think super narrow or super wide bars are equally as silly, but use what makes you happiest and ignore the haters.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    There is a simple formula to determine bar length.
    Take your height in inches and subtract your European shoe size from that. The result in inches is the precise bar length you need to run.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2
    Take your height in inches and subtract your European shoe size from that. The result in inches is the precise bar length you need to run.
    It works!

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Geared bike sighting.

EDIT: because I dun spell turrible.
    it's not my photo or my bike.

surly inbred
    Anything less than 28" makes me queasy. Anything more makes my fingers bleed.

It's a fine line.

FKA Malibu412
    So which European shoe size do I subtract? On some conversion charts, I wear a 48 while on others, I wear a 49. Oh, and either way, that means a 31"-32" bar for me?? Really???
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    So which European shoe size do I subtract? On some conversion charts, I wear a 48 while on others, I wear a 49. Oh, and either way, that means a 31"-32" bar for me?? Really???
    True European shoe size is established by the square root of Pi multiplied by green less your stem length. No, not that stem.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Yes, really.
    Don't question the formula.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum
    True European shoe size is established by the square root of Pi multiplied by green less your stem length. No, not that stem.
    Someone who doesn't need 3 attached to my post.

Re: the OP question, run as long a bar as you can and still fit between trees/not hit your chin on the stem. Some SSers around here run 28"-30" bars and 22 tooth rear cogs because they like to climb -- a lot. The leverage from the bars and lower gears work for them.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just went from a 600mm to a 800mm both flat bars. I am getting used to the 800mm now. I thought 800mm was going to be way to wide and get cought on everything but I got 2 rides on it and so far it has been good. I still have the option to cut it down if I need to.

hispanic mechanic
    Wow. I've never heard of this, but it seems pretty right-on to me- 698mm bar is about what I'm wanting to try, since my 660mm bar is a touch narrow for me.
    Neat trick.
    5'11", 43.5 shoe, BTW.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    5'9", 47 feet = 22" bar damn my big feet.

But, really I run a 710mm wide bar and don't have any problems around here.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    it's not my photo or my bike.
    Then I am even more mystified as to why you posted the shot.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Then I am even more mystified as to why you posted the shot.
    the trail is super narrow, super twisty, and the trees are super good at grabbing your handlebars. a super wide bar would not be a superb idea.

Apr 2007
    Go with the trend and get the widest bar possible.

I'm possibly looking at retrofitting one of these on my bike. Turning knob is a bonus.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan
    5'9", 47 feet = 22" bar damn my big feet.

But, really I run a 710mm wide bar and don't have any problems around here.
    You know what they say about big feet...big boots!

FWIW I totally just made "the formula" up this morning although it's pretty dang close in my case.

67-41.5=25.5"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast