mtbr member
    Feb 2004

how tense is too tense (chain tension)?

i've got WI eccentric ENO's on both of my ss's. whenever i remove the rear wheel and go to re-install, i always wonder how tense the chain should be. i know it shouldn't be so loose that it will pop off and i'm pretty sure it shouldn't be so tense to feel like a solid piece of steel but where in between the two should it be?

i've also heard that too much tension kills bearings in a hurry. but am i not putting GOBS of tension on the chain when i'm out of the saddle climbing the steeps? what's the difference between that kind of tension and the kind of tension i'd get from setting the chain up too tense?

word,
    head

mtbr member
    I work on the crank being able to freely rotate when spun backwards.

If the crank binds up when spun backwards there is a tight spot in the chain and I adjust accordingly.

SSOD
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    I work on the crank being able to freely rotate when spun backwards.

If the crank binds up when spun backwards there is a tight spot in the chain and I adjust accordingly.
    Agreed, I usually can get 2 1/2 to 3 spins out of my crank, if its less than 2 I would loosen it some.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Loose as you can get without it popping off? I accidentally set mine too loose, got out to a trail and didn't have have a crescent wrench for the slider adjustment, so I decided to suck it up. Chain hasn't come off in 200 miles, so I'm keeping it as is. Nothing like good SS cog and chainrings...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    you shouldn't need the crescent wrench to adjust the tension on those. Just grab the wheel by the spokes on the left side and pull back. You should see the axle rotate and chain tension. Tighten the right bolt while holdng the wheel in place and you are good to go.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This is a problem for me as well. I ride the flats no issue with the chain slipping off. As soon as I hit a climb, the chain pops off. Is it my pedalling style. i try to push, and pull with the other leg. I have a jabber, and love it.

meatier showers
    If the chain is tight, it's too tight.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    If the chain is tight, it's too tight.

--sParty
    cool. i can follow this advice no problem.