7am Backcountry ;- )

Hope How to size your singlespeed chain?

Hi Guys

Is there any easy method for sizing a singlespeed chain? I have a 16t rear cog, and a 36t upfront, with a surley singulator to add tension.

Is it a case of splitting the chain when it feels like its at the right taughtness - or is there a more logical way to calcuate the perfect length?

Thanks!
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Just put in on the chainring and sprocket, pull the ends tight and you'll see where you need to split it - you can only adjust the length in 1" increments anyway (unless it's a half-link chain or you add a half link to a standard chain) so it should be obvious where it has to split. That's all I've ever done anyway.
    Remember (and I apologise for stating the obvious here...) in order to join it with the master link you need to split the chain so that you have an "inner" link on both ends. But then you knew that anyway....

7am Backcountry ;- )
    so if I split it as tight as I can then adjust the singulator so its keeping it under full tension?
    [SIZE="1"][SIZE="2"]i can't ride for sh*t but i'm good at extreme pushing[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Yes- get it as tight as possible and then let the tensioner take up the last bit of slack.