mtbr member

How to pick...McClung, Retrotec, Pereira, etc

I'm looking at building up a "retro" looking steel single speed later this year. I have read about (on MTBR!) McClung, Retrotec and Pereira and all look and sound fantastic. I haven't had the chance to ride or see any in person. A couple quesions:

What are the pluses and minuses to each?
    Are there other custom shops currently making similar steel frames I should look at?

Curmudgeon

Groovy Cycle Works

...got chuck to join my Rock Racing SS team....

HTFU and Ride
    based on looks i say retrotec

i dont think you can go wrong with any custom bike
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Coconino?

Hairshirt Rider
    Coconino does a nice cruiser

mtbr member
    If I was looking for something curvy and retro, this is what I'd get...

http://patrickcycles.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html
    Last edited by kev1n; 03-16-2009 at 08:03 PM. Reason: because linky no worky

aka baycat
    Make a list of the people you want to build your bike. Call or email them. Ask them lots of questions (it is your money). See what fits your budget, time table, etc. Maybe pick a builder geographically close who is familiar with the terrain you ride. Maybe one personality of a a builder strikes you more than others.

You listed some fine frame builders you could not go wrong with any of them.

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by pint
    Are there other custom shops currently making similar steel frames I should look at?
    Going custom with any of those builders is going to be fine by any standard. Knowing what you want and clearly discussing expectations and details pays off. Obviously they're going to have different styles, it's really down to what suits yours that will decide the match.

Retrotec tends to have curved seat & chain stays, while the others finish their curves with a standard triangle out back. I think I've seen a coconino with curved stays... not sure.

here's my r-tec twin
    Last edited by finger51; 03-17-2009 at 09:11 AM.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

nerfherder
    finger51,
    What rims are those? Custom paint or PC?

Sorry for the tangent. Carry on.

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    finger51,
    What rims are those? Custom paint or PC?

Sorry for the tangent. Carry on.
    They're PC'd Arches. The wife gave her consent for me to go a little nuts on this bike.

aka baycat
    And just to throw another builder into the ring.

Rick Hunter at www.huntercycles.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finger51

Retrotec tends to have curved seat & chain stays, while the others finish their curves with a standard triangle out back. I think I've seen a coconino with curved stays... not sure.
    nice retrotec! if by "curved" you mean "arched" like following the curve of the top tube, no - i don't do that. if you mean "curved as in S-bend, then yes. i hand bend my S-bend stays. all good builders in that list! i just wanna clarify............Steve.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

nerfherder
    That blue hunter is flat out gorgeious. I've seen those drop outs somewhere else before, too. Black Cat?

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by coconinocycles
    nice retrotec! if by "curved" you mean "arched" like following the curve of the top tube, no - i don't do that. if you mean "curved as in S-bend, then yes. i hand bend my S-bend stays. all good builders in that list! i just wanna clarify............Steve.
    yup, arched. that's what I meant.

mtbr member
    I think McClung has very specific idea's about his bikes. I don't think he will add disc brakes or do suspension correct forks. I love the look of the bikes, but it would be my main squeeze.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm looking at building up a "retro" looking steel single speed later this year. I have read about (on MTBR!) McClung, Retrotec and Pereira and all look and sound fantastic. I haven't had the chance to ride or see any in person. A couple quesions:

are you close to any of those builders? being able to drop by the shop, chat about what you want, see a few of their other bikes, maybe take a test ride would sway my opinion.

mtbr member

From those three choices, I chose Pereira

I Considered Exactly those three builders.

Don: too restrictive. Had to be rim brakes, single speed and horizontal dropouts. He offers those super short chain stays if you like them. I knew I wanted disks but wanted the option of converting to geared. 5K for a dedicated SS was alittle too much commitment at my age. Plus there's some sort of weird cult thing where you apparently have to dress like Don to ride a Don that I wasn't too sure about. (just kidding).

Curtis: beautiful bikes. Nothing wrong with them. I just like the form of the Don/Pereira better. If you want it suspended this is your best option as both the Don and Pereira are not suspension corrected.

Pereira: Disks/internal hose routing/geared option (would also do horizontal or EBB). Longest waiting list. I love the curved seat stays (Don's are straight) and the seat tube junction/lugs are pure art. Overall, it had the form I loved and just seemed a bit more polished than the Don while offering the options that he didn't.

My rank order would be Pereira/Retrotec/Don based on my needs and wants.

TCN
    (yes it is geared now )

Last edited by Timmy; 03-17-2009 at 02:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Timmy - that's a beautiful rig! Actually the one that got me looking at Pereira. I like McClung because I live in Colorado, but I won't buy simply for that reason. The bike will be fully rigid. single speed, but the option of gears would be nice. It is tough to swallow a $4-$5-$6K SS only rig! This very well may be my only bike. I can't decide if I really need discs? I think it would be nice, but not a deal breaker. I need to ride a few more bikes.

Thanks for the info so far everyone...keep it coming!

Stokeless Asshat
    Blacksheep is in Co.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff
    Blacksheep is in Co.
    I thought about that. They have some beautiful bikes. However, I really like the ride and cost of steel, and I think they only do titanium.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I thought about that. They have some beautiful bikes. However, I really like the ride and cost of steel, and I think they only do titanium.
    Black Sheep also builds with steel.

mtbr member
    ABC? Always buy Colorado, right.

Yeah, I was born in Colorado, lived there for the better part of 36 years. However, 911 revoked my native status and I was forced into exile for the past 7 years. All kidding aside, it is good to have the builder local. That would've made a Don more attractive but I still would've gone with Tony. For me it all came down to who was going to build the bike I wanted. Personally, it would be tough to live where you do without discs (but that's just me).

Thanks again for the compliments on the Pereira.

TCN