Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

How often do you ride your SS?

I've been riding my SS for nearly a month now and I'm loving it more and more with every ride. My question to you is how often do you ride? I am very fortunate to have my evenings free to ride. I could ride every day if I wanted to. My fear is that I'll start doing harm to my body, if I do not take some rest days. Because the stoke is so high, I just want to ride everyday, but could this actually be counterproductive?

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Everyone is different. Depends on your style of riding and what you want to achieve. Just out for fun and learning? I would just ride till I can't or ride till something breaks or wears out (heart lungs legs). Problem is most of us don't have the choice....work family health etc etc. These days I go whenever it is possible just because I know the next week it may not be...there may be a time you can't just ride when you want.

mtbr member
    I ride mine as often as I can. I've never felt like I was over-training riding 4-5 times a week from 10-15 miles at a shot. The only bike I have is a SS. I just ordered a new frame, it's going to be a SS. I have no intentions of riding a geared mtn anytime soon.
    Last edited by Nubster; 06-10-2013 at 10:46 PM.

mtbr member
    With a kidlet, about an hour after work every day is the limit. Thankfully, there is a trail near enough to the neighborhood with some horse trails alongside. The SS comes out more often than the geared.
    No fuss with the MUSS

Tigers love pepper...
    Only built it up about two weeks ago, but I ride it about every day when my daughter wants to take her strider bike out.

That said, when my regular bike gets back from the shop I will now be splitting time between 3 bikes. Had a blast on the SS in Fruita this weekend, it may become my default bike there (don't really need suspension there). My 6" travel bike barely ever gets ridden anymore. I may sell it. My Spearfish will probably still get most of my seat time though.

Ride as much as you want, if anything starts hurting them take a couple days off.

mtbr member
    I try to ride my SS Saturday and Sunday. If I don't get a chance to commute to work with my geared roadbike then I'll go ride some trails with my SS after work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Ride however often you want. If you get tired, just ride a little slower until you're rested up. The advice is different if you are getting ready for a race, but riding just for fun? Ride on!

mtbr member
    I like to ride every frickin' day...

SPP
    Rigid.

cowbell
    I ride as often as I can. Your body will tell you if you need a day off, or whatever.

psycho cyclo addict

How often do you ride your SS?

Assuming you are not hammering max output for long periods of time every ride, you are not going to injure yourself riding daily. I typically ride a bike 6 days a week; more often a single speed or 29er hard tail and less often on a 29er full suspension bike (primarily on the more technical trails).

I've ridden the rigid SS on technical trails too. I like being forced to improve technique when there is no suspension option however my aging body does not appreciate it nearly as much as my mind and adrenaline glands
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I've only ridden geared bikes for work this year. I just crossed to 4000 mile mark fixed or single yesterday (for 2013).

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    I've only ridden geared bikes for work this year. I just crossed to 4000 mile mark fixed or single yesterday (for 2013).
    Now that's a LOT of riding!

Developing Skillz
    I ride almost everyday depending on do I have the time or am I just tired/lazy. Sometimes I take my dog with me to make sure I've got the time. When my GF goes to see her mom for a weekend I'll be riding the whole weekend all the time.
    "The most interesting things in life are always beyond the reach of leash."

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    NICE...

I'm hoping to break 3.500 mi. this year- just passed 1500 (commute, dirt and urban assaults combined). Wish I had more time to pedal :/

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've done races, commutes, dirt, urban assaults, hill climbing therapy and pub crawl therapy. 4,600 mi and still going. It's simple, reliable and predictable. I recently rode the SS for 26 days straight. SS is my go-to bike. I have a rigid carbon 9r and a Ti 26" HT. I'm about to build a 700c SS. I still do gears. SS has simply become a way of life for me. YMMV.

I like to train on the SS. That 1 gear I pick keeps things honest. It's me and not the bike that's in training.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    Now that's a LOT of riding!
    I'm cheap and gas is expensive.

But more to the point, you shouldn't feel limited to how much you ride based on how many gears your bike has. I've done more damage to myself riding geared bikes than singlespeed or fixed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I was doing about 3-5 rides per week on the SS until about a month ago when I got my road bike back. I'll probably get back into it once the excitement over the new road bike wears off. Also seems to always rain the day before when I have the time. :P

mtbr member
    As often as I can.

mtbr member
    I ride something every day but I grab a single speed probably 4-5 days a week and always Sundays because we have "Single Speed Sunday" and everyone busts out a single speed for the last/first ride of the week!!

McGruff the Crime dog says "Kids start your own "Single Speed Sunday" on your block and keep your neighborhood safe!"
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think how you ride makes a big difference. It's not recommended to go balls out everyday, so as long as you have "recovery days" from your "training days" then I'd ride as often as I can which form me is only 2-3 times a week between work and family...

When I got my SS 3 months ago I was riding it 3+ times a week and most my trails are steep hills and I was going all out and seeing some great improvements, but then I started feeling tired and the improvements were diminishing and I finally figured out I was over-training and wasn't allowing my muscles to recover all the way.

I read a great quote from a cycling trainer online...

"Most cyclist ride don't ride hard enough on their training rides and too hard on their fun rides"

puts the FU in fun
    I'm pretty happy if I get to ride 3 days a week. However, with weather and other commitments wreaking havoc on my schedule that doesn't always happen. I have no idea how many miles or hours I rack up anymore. I find I enjoy riding more now sans computer and with the phone turned off.
    Everything in moderation. Including moderation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    40-50 hours a week when I was unemployed last summer...Now I am lucky to get on the bike 5 hours a week since I'm back in college and have a full time job. Oh well.

Single Speed Junkie
    3 days out of the week at least. Need to pick up the kid the other 2 otherwise would be more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I wish I could ride every day. I would, if I could. But not convenient with family and full-time job.

I used to ride a mix of geared and SS years ago. All of my geared bikes are sold and ride exclusively SS.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rideorange525 View Post
    I think how you ride makes a big difference. It's not recommended to go balls out everyday, so as long as you have "recovery days" from your "training days" then I'd ride as often as I can which form me is only 2-3 times a week between work and family...

When I got my SS 3 months ago I was riding it 3+ times a week and most my trails are steep hills and I was going all out and seeing some great improvements, but then I started feeling tired and the improvements were diminishing and I finally figured out I was over-training and wasn't allowing my muscles to recover all the way.

I read a great quote from a cycling trainer online...

"Most cyclist ride don't ride hard enough on their training rides and too hard on their fun rides"
    This, I've been riding every other day for awhile now and that is how I like it. Mostly geared road lately, lots of shorter/medium fast paced rides mixed in with at least once a week longer and more climbing rides. Good sleep, proper stretching and nutrition matter. On ride days when you are beat, a good spinny slow/medium paced ride can be good recovery too.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast