Cthulhu fhtagn

how often do you replace drivetrain parts?

cog/chainring/chain, how often do you guys replace each because of regular wear?

is buachail foighneach me
    When the chainring looks like this, I replace it.

cringcrop

I replace the chain at least once a year, sometimes more often.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Chain ring once a season, chain twice and rear cog (WI free hub) never.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I've been swapping parts out so much in the last year that I've totally lost track of mileage on everything. I pulled out my 38t chainring recently and it was clearly past its better days. Sooo... cogs, chains and chainrings I go by wear. If you need to know more, we have a phenomenal current thread on chain stretch.

is buachail foighneach me
    Scientific chain stretch, not English chain stretch.

Retro Grouch
    I replace chains about every 6-7 months. That is all; chainring and cog still going strong after 5 years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails how often do you replace drivetrain parts?-img_3836.jpg  

Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Cthulhu fhtagn
    reason i ask is i seem to have worn my chain cassette and possibly chainring out in less then 2 months. im considering switching to single speed but im concerned ill be replacing cogs and chains all the time. was just curious if that was normal

mtbr member
    Frequency depends on mileage.

25kms per day commuting, 8-10 races per season plus just riding with buddies 1-2 times per week and I'm going thru 2 chains a year.

Still on the same chainring and cog after 18 months.

mtbr member
    I figure that there is more wear and tear on a mulit gear system because the chain is being forced over the teeth of the cogs and chainrings. Plus the chain is being moved back and forth on the ramps/pins as it changes cogs/rings. With a SS the chain is in a straight line, not having to climb the ramps and pins or being drug across the teeth of gears. All things being equal (conditions/frequency of use) I would expect the SS drivechain to last longer than a mulit geared set up. And the weakest link (no pun inteded) is he chain. And yes it all depends on the conditions/frequency the chain is used. No science applied to this or any backup, just my simple minded perception.
    thx, Phred
    I know my parents hated me, because my bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager
    reason i ask is i seem to have worn my chain cassette and possibly chainring out in less then 2 months. im considering switching to single speed but im concerned ill be replacing cogs and chains all the time. was just curious if that was normal
    it depends alot on the material as well. Ti or steel will last a long time on a singlespeed. probably over 5 years or more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    it depends alot on the material as well. Ti or steel will last a long time on a singlespeed. probably over 5 years or more.
    Agree. Matereials make a difference.
    thx, Phred
    I know my parents hated me, because my bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

mtbr member
    I replace the chain every 3 to 4 months because of the sand where I ride that eats through chains, and then freewheel and chain ring around April and then again in November.
    Ride & Smile

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager
    cog/chainring/chain, how often do you guys replace each because of regular wear?
    Personally I replace my drivetrain parts whenever they're worn to the point that they need it. Since I have a couple singlespeeds plus several other bikes, the frequency of replacement is impossible to predict. Also, if one of my bikes sees primarily winter use here in the PNW, the wear on its drivetrain parts is dramatically different than if it sees primarily summer use.

More to your point, I ride singlespeed a lot, and I don't believe that wear on SS drivetrain components per se is excessive. That said, I personally steer clear of aluminum cogs and rings. I once saw an aluminum Chris King cog get ruined in less than 30 days by my riding buddy at the time, with whom I was doing endurance training.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I replace them when they need it.

It's not time based, but wear based. If you chain replace your chain when it's stretched (by the sean salach definition) when it's stretched 1/16" over 12", then your chainring and cog will last a long time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Even Tooth Counts Only

Your drivetrain will last longer if you use this tip: http://sheldonbrown.com/chain-life.html

Some of you will not see the point of that article and will protest loudly; that's OK.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryG
    Your drivetrain will last longer if you use this tip: http://sheldonbrown.com/chain-life.html

Some of you will not see the point of that article and will protest loudly; that's OK.
    I won't protest loudly, but I will point out that Sheldon's advice on the subject seems good only if one plans to wear the chain, cog & ring out completely, then replace all three components. Personally I prefer to swap chains often in order to save my ring & cog. Doing so has worked well for me.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    What good is knowing your time interval for parts change out, without information about mileage?
    Sheesh.

Once a year? Swell, is that riding 10 miles once a week, or 25 miles per day?
    It makes a huge difference.

I probably put on 10-20 miles a week on my mtb, less in winter, so lets say 700 miles per year, in mostly dry conditions. Chains last maybe 18 months, looking for 1/8 inch growth. Chainrings and cogs I have gone 5 years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    I won't protest loudly, but I will point out that Sheldon's advice on the subject seems good only if one plans to wear the chain, cog & ring out completely, then replace all three components. Personally I prefer to swap chains often in order to save my ring & cog. Doing so has worked well for me.

--sParty
    It would still work if you keep the phase relationships constant when you swap chains, if you don't let your chain wear too much before you swap it out. It's fine if you don't do it Sheldon's way, but his way makes the cog and chainring last longer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phred
    I figure that there is more wear and tear on a mulit gear system because the chain is being forced over the teeth of the cogs and chainrings. Plus the chain is being moved back and forth on the ramps/pins as it changes cogs/rings. With a SS the chain is in a straight line, not having to climb the ramps and pins or being drug across the teeth of gears. All things being equal (conditions/frequency of use) I would expect the SS drivechain to last longer than a mulit geared set up. And the weakest link (no pun inteded) is he chain. And yes it all depends on the conditions/frequency the chain is used. No science applied to this or any backup, just my simple minded perception.
    What you say makes sense for the chain, but I would expect the cog/ring on SS to wear faster, simply because one cog and one ring are used for 100% of the riding, rather than the load being shared among several.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    What you say makes sense for the chain, but I would expect the cog/ring on SS to wear faster, simply because one cog and one ring are used for 100% of the riding, rather than the load being shared among several.
    Actually, his method has no effect on chain wear at all, because chains wear from grit suspended in lubricant, not from the interface to the ring or cog. It confines ring and cog wear to every other tooth, so that the cog and ring pitch always correspond to the roller distance on the part of the chain that wears (between the outside links).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryG
    Actually, his method has no effect on chain wear at all, because chains wear from grit suspended in lubricant, not from the interface to the ring or cog. It confines ring and cog wear to every other tooth, so that the cog and ring pitch always correspond to the roller distance on the part of the chain that wears (between the outside links).
    His method? I don't understand what you are saying. My point was simply, that on a multi gear set up, 1000 miles on the bike could mean 500 miles or less on the most used gear, whereas, on a SS, 1000 miles on the bike is 1000 miles on the gears.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    His method? I don't understand what you are saying. My point was simply, that on a multi gear set up, 1000 miles on the bike could mean 500 miles or less on the most used gear, whereas, on a SS, 1000 miles on the bike is 1000 miles on the gears.
    My bad; I didn't read carefully. I thought you were responding to something I wrote.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

--sParty
    Word. So fully word.

mtbr member

Replace when it looks like this

I get my monies worth in parts, I think 5 yrs on one sproket single speeding..

mtbr member

Got my monies worth - 5yrs

I got my monies worth on this chain ring, go SS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails how often do you replace drivetrain parts?-dscn1966-.jpg