mtbr member
    Sep 2009

how much should I offer for a 06 Kona unit

was in a lbs shop yesterday, I usually go to another shop but this one happened to be closer.
    I saw a Kona unit that I later found out was a 06 the shop was selling it as a new bike. It had some dirt on the pedals but looked to be in almost new shape they said it was one of there demo bikes. The tag on the bike was marked msrp $679 so I asked what they wanted for it. I was told $679. Seamed really high to me. This is a 26er with v brakes. Nothing special. No wonder its been there since 06. I really like the bike though. What should I offer them for it?

Low Rep Count
    Nothing, you can pick up a newer 29'er for close to that amount!

mtbr member
    Doesn't sound like they're too keen on dropping the price....even though the bike is nearly 5 years old AND a "demo" , no idea what mark up would be on that but I think %20-30 off MSRP would be in order, if not more. If they're unwilling to negotiate on the price I'd head on back to your regualr shop, never to return to this "closer" one...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Nothing, you can pick up a newer 29'er for close to that amount!
    Oh, and there's that too...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I doubt they will drop it enough for me to think its reasonable but I may still give it a try. Im not interested in 29's. They dont work well for me Ive road a few and didnt like it. Ive got short legs and if I got a small size so I could stand over it I felt to bunched up.

Low Rep Count
    I mean you can get the newer 29" version for close to that. I don't know what my local shop is selling theirs for but they have a green one on the floor that has not moved since he opened the shop earlier this year. I thought about it as I know I could get a deal on it but it is a 19 and would be too big for me.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by muell
    I doubt they will drop it enough for me to think its reasonable but I may still give it a try. Im not interested in 29's. They dont work well for me Ive road a few and didnt like it. Ive got short legs and if I got a small size so I could stand over it I felt to bunched up.
    I hear you. It was just for comparison sake. I felt the same when I started building my current bike but now I want one!

Got a suspension fork
    I'm not surprised that they haven't sold it yet at that price... $849 is the MSRP on a 2011 Unit 2-9.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    I mean you can get the newer 29" version for close to that. I don't know what my local shop is selling theirs for but they have a green one on the floor that has not moved since he opened the shop earlier this year. I thought about it as I know I could get a deal on it but it is a 19 and would be too big for me.
    Are you sure, I've always ridden either 17.5 or 18 but took a chance on a 19 Monocog and it's perfect.....unless you've been riding 15 or 16

OP - Do they have any 2010 units in this shop? What is MSRP on them? Question to shop - So your telling me a 4 year old demo bike costs the same/almost the same as a 2010???

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I ride a 17.5 fisher piranha now. I may have to try a bigger size in a few other brands to see if I can find one I feel comfortable standing over. But for right now Im happy with 26".

So what should I offer this shop. He will probably laugh like Im trying to lowball him but is it worth $450

Apr 2007
    My LBS has an 07 Monocog (26") at $250. They just cannot sell it, even at that price. I think your offer of $450 is more than reasonable. IF I were going to buy it, I'd pay maybe $350---based on ok components and v-brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Why doesnt anyone want these? Is it that everyone is going with 29's instead?

Pnut where are you located?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by muell
    was in a lbs shop yesterday, I usually go to another shop but this one happened to be closer.
    I saw a Kona unit that I later found out was a 06 the shop was selling it as a new bike. It had some dirt on the pedals but looked to be in almost new shape they said it was one of there demo bikes. The tag on the bike was marked msrp $679 so I asked what they wanted for it. I was told $679. Seamed really high to me. This is a 26er with v brakes. Nothing special. No wonder its been there since 06. I really like the bike though. What should I offer them for it?
    I picked up a brand new 06 Unit from my LBS for my wife for just under $500--two years ago. An 06 demo? I sure wouldn't pay much more than $350 or $400.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Check this one out: http://cgi.ebay.com/KONA-UNIT-26ER-S...item4152def89c

It has had the living **** beat out of it, but kinda goes to show how much a five year old bike is worth.

I have a lbs in town that is trying to sell a 26" MC frame for 185. And people wonder why most end up shopping in the internet....

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Check this one out: http://cgi.ebay.com/KONA-UNIT-26ER-S...item4152def89c

It has had the living **** beat out of it, but kinda goes to show how much a five year old bike is worth.

I have a lbs in town that is trying to sell a 26" MC frame for 185. And people wonder why most end up shopping in the internet....
    some serious seat to handlebar drop on that bike
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides