Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Neg reppers r my biatches

How many 26 and 29 SSers?

This general issue has been beaten to death I am sure on the 29er board but personally, I think much of the discussion have had to do with 29er vs 26er (theoretical or otherwise) "general" differences only.

What I am interested in hearing (at least more interested than my work obviously) is what folks feel about the differences, good or bad, between a 29er single speed versus a 26".

While I certainly don't doubt some of the advantages of a 29er such as rolling over objects easier, at least for the factors I find most important for single speeding, that may or may not outweigh some of the negatives of 29ers, which may be less of a relative negative on a geared 29er. I think to generalize differences of 29er vs 26ers may not be a good idea if we are talking single speed stuff only.

Not being one to withstand ANY level of peer pressure, I will soon find out for myself but because I blame many of you on my recent purchases of bikes and bike stuff, I thought I would ask.

Cheers!

Steamroller

I have both 29r and 26" SS bikes

Both of my current SS bikes are pretty new and both are pretty nice. The 29r is my first 29r and I really like it, enough so that I can't see buying any more 26" bikes. My 26" SS bike was built to be my back-up and townie and it will be fine for that indefinately. My FS geared bike is also a 26" bike, it's very nice and in great shape so while I can't see myself replacing it anytime soon, when it is replaced it will be by a 29r.

29rs are not for everybody, just everybody who has tried one. Seriously it is possible there may be a few out there who bought a 29r and did not really like it, but if so they are pretty quiet. Most people who are not on the 29r bandwagon don't own one and likely have not spent significant time on one either.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

thanks for the comments.

I asked the question because I met somebody out here who single speeds but did not like their 29er single speed (Rig) for single speeding. Another person in the riding group loved 29ers, and was riding one, but it was a geared bike so it got me thinking about single speeding specifically and if the benefit of rolling over things easier and maintaining momentum outweigh acceleration and other things that may mean more to a single speeder than a geared bike rider.

cheers

I am the owl
    I've got both. I had been riding the 29er exclusively over the last few months but I attribute that to new bike syndrom. Sent it out to CO for a trip recently and was riding the 26" 1x1 while it was gone. That reminded me how much I liked that bike. Put in a good number of rides on it and it kept me smiling. Now the 29er is back and I'm taking it out tonight. Unlike a lot of the 29er owners, I have not swore off the 26. I like them, but I like the "little wheel bikes" too.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

(was) Big in Japan

After three rides

on my new fully rigid 29er SS I can say OH MY GOD!!!!

I didn't think the difference could EVER have been so pronounced. As you requested, I'll only comment on the parts related to SS.

1. Rollover: given most SSs are hardtails or fully rigid, this is a huge advantage. I can't believe the difference! Has to be experienced to be appreciated.

2. Traction - at the moment I've only got semi slicks that are at the slick end of the spectrum, and they still grip as well as my 26er knobby tyres. Cornering is outstanding, as is climbing and braking. I've ordered Exis - I can barely even imagine how good that's gonna be!

3. Momentum. You don't really realise how much more speed you can carry, especially out of corners. 29ers are F-A-S-T!

I could rave on for hours, but you probably don't want to read that! I can only say that I don't think I'll ever buy a 26inch wheeled SS again. I believe suspension and gears can, in some areas, close the gap on 29ers a bit, but for SS, and rigid especially, it's no contest.

When I get around to resizing my pictures I'll post up my new bugdet bike.

Cheers,

Chris
    Ride.

Reviewer/Tester
    Hmmmm... well, you can read my comments on the 29'er forum about my latest ride on my 26 inch wheeled bike yesterday.

That's all I have to say on this...

R.
    It is inevitable ...

AussieLostInNyc

Haven't ridden a 26'er in a while

but having helped convert friends to SS and riding with them my rigid KM
    seems to ride better. I have to touch my brakes more when I am behind someone
    as the bigger wheels do roll over stuff and allow me to carry more speed than friends on rigid 26'ers and often with front suspension too. Overall I seem to work less on my 29er SS than my friends do on their 26er SS. You can argue it has a lot to do with the person pedaling but they ride more than me and race as well so the bike
    has to be saving my ass
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

the cool nerd
    for the converts, or fans if you will...

Would you add a little about the typical terrain that you ride, over which the 29s excel?

My concern for switching from 26 to 29 is my local terrain? Typical rides involve a lot of climbing, a fair amount of it steep and/or sustained, with a loose/rocky surface. Switchbacks, tight twisty stuff. I'm sure that a 29 would be excellent for the descending, but I'm not so sure about the ascending.

mtbr member

29’er handling

Quote Originally Posted by sportsman

Would you add a little about the typical terrain that you ride, over which the 29s excel?

My concern for switching from 26 to 29 is my local terrain? Typical rides involve a lot of climbing, a fair amount of it steep and/or sustained, with a loose/rocky surface. Switchbacks, tight twisty stuff. I'm sure that a 29 would be excellent for the descending, but I'm not so sure about the ascending.
    I am on my third SS (26” HT, 26” FS and now a 29’er HT). The 29’er blows both of my old 26” Wheeled bikes in every category. I ride various terrains (tight switchbacks, rocky trails and fast fireroad / single track).

My switchback riding has improved because I am more stable and get better traction.

AussieLostInNyc

for me;

I ride mostly NJ and love technical single track. A lot of the trails I frequent have tight singletrack with roots etc and the KM rolls over all this. On the swooping singletrack
    with switchbacks etc I can go in fast and come out faster. I have never felt like I have too much bike to maneuver.
    Lot's has been said about the increased contact and how it aids ascending so I won't harp on that. I keep refering to my Karate Monkey as it is what I ride so the way my bike handles the tight twisty singletrack etc may not hold true for all 29'ers. From what I have read however on the 29er board it certainly seems to be good across the board.

I suggest you check the 29er loaner thread and sample one for yourself if possible.
    I am in NYC if you want to ride a XL, SS, KM.

gumby
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

HIKE!

26 vs 29 in regards to SS

Well, don't know that SS vs Geared would matter on the wheel size. Maybe the need to 'accelerate' a wheel makes the 26" easier somehow? but then you'd have to compare tires in 26" to the same tire in 29" to have an apples/apples comparison.

I've been finding (geared or SS) 26" UST allows for lower rolling resistance, lower pressures, better traction/contact patch, durability, etc.

I don't stress about weight or going fast at the races, just trail riding, and have found UST, disc brakes, and good 5" plus travel full suspension bikes to be the ticket for riding in my locale. Wheel size really doesn't seem to be a big issue (except 29er lacking UST so far) for me.

HIKE!

FoShizzle's avitar thingy..

....and I find that I have to avoid any threads where FoShizzle posted to avoid that avitar of his! Not a gripe or cry for censorship, just have to watch having that come up on the screen whilst at work, the library, a coffee shop or other public wireless hot spot, or with my wife walking by, or...... :-)

Or at least get in, read it, get out to keep the jiggly bits out of view, just so attention getting to folks that walk by. Something about the motion I suppose, but has anyone noticed how quick people zoom in on that!?

AussieLostInNyc
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrow
    ....and I find that I have to avoid any threads where FoShizzle posted to avoid that avitar of his!
    I am the opposite I search them out!
    FoShizzle they just get better.
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

HIKE!

Have to search them out at home...

...... oh, me too, just have to be careful I'm not at a coffee shop or the nephews are in the room..... just draws the eyes to the screen, a little jiggly postage stamp sized seduction....

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I consider myself still relatively new to this. Back in February, I test rode a Rig, if you can even call it a test ride. 15 minutes or so around a parking lot of a bad ass bike shop in Austin does not a test ride make, I concede. As such, while I did pick up on the handling and feel differences of a 29er versus your regular sized MTB, I wasn't able to pick up an overwhelming advantage of the 29er. Yeah, the rolling over stuff bit was immediately apparent, but I was still left feeling slightly underwhelmed. But again, that was because it was a poor riding experience, and I'm slow to blame the bike for that.

Since then, I've built up this 1x1 with some monstrous tires. And I'm thrilled with it. I do feel tires acting bigger, not just wider. Is this a good enough substitute for a 29er? Probably not, but then again, I don't have a side-by-side comparison to judge well enough. All I know is that I'm pretty content for now. The yearning for a 29er has subsided for the moment. And I'm going ride this 1x1 right into the ground!

exactly.......that is what I should have included. The terrain for me is a lot of steep, technical rocky switchbacks etc...for which momentum is a completely moot point because so many times since there absolutely NO room to gain any momentum. Terrain has to be a parameter that influences any benefit of a 26 over a 29er and vice versa.

What I believe to be the obvious advantage for me in at least 1 parameter, is that running fully rigid a 29er will be welcomed. I get mine in about 1.5 weeks and am anxious to see how it fares out here. In addition to being fully rigid, it will be lighter than my 26er SS which will also help with any acceleration issues.

Cheers

zeebot
    I made the switch this year and will definitely not be going back to smaller wheeled bikes again. The few times I've ridden a 26" bike since I was letting someone try mine I couldn't believe how unstable it was in technical terrain and on downhills. Also, the bumps were much sharper on the 26"

I went from a very light custom SS 26" probably around 20lb's to an originally very light 29er but i Keep adding weight and I can't tell a difference. I've ridden it over a 100 miles with a ton of climbing out west and ridden super technical, twisty and tight trails in the NE. I've yet to see a place where I felt it was inferior to the 26".

The only drawbacks I see are I don't really like the current rim and tire selection. I'm going to try stan's rim later this year and hopefully convert to tubeless with the Ignitor - the best tire besides the exiwolf I've tried thus far. Also forks are limited but the Reba is a REALLY nice fork so to me that isn't an issue. The exiwolf is a great tire. for general trail riding i'd recommend everyone test it out! For racing I really like the Ignitor front and rear.

When you change from the 26" to the 29" you notice subtle differences but nothing that blows you away. You'll hear your friends comment they were following your line and almost killed themselves on their 26" bike. Then you let them borrow it and ride their 26" bike and notice a HUGE difference.

interesting read...thanks. I am looking forward to trying it myself. cheers

AussieLostInNyc

looking forward

looking forward to your first ride report of your new 29er and also the report on your 26er once you have adjusted to the 29er.
    Spookys point is very true. You do notice the biggest difference when you get back on
    your little wheels. When someone tries my 29er I just sit around unless they have a really nice 26er I want to ride as I feel foolish when ever I get back on a 26er, being 6'4" with cycling shoes on.
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

mtbr member
    Same bike in 26 and 29, both SS, I like them both. I do like 29er more for climbing - geometry is so mucm more natural and it is much easier on your legs when you stand a lot. I still prefer 26er on a tight woody singletrack.

Quote Originally Posted by poff
    Same bike in 26 and 29, both SS, I like them both. I do like 29er more for climbing - geometry is so mucm more natural and it is much easier on your legs when you stand a lot. I still prefer 26er on a tight woody singletrack.
    thanks poff...so when you say you like 29er more for climbing, does that cover climbing on technical and/or twisty singletrack or moreso on non technical/fireroad sustained climbs?

mtbr member
    No fireroads here - mostly short/medium steep climbs with lotsa roots.

gotcha....thanks

I have no idea...

what the differences are. I have not ridden my 26" since getting the 29'er, races included.

eLe

mtbr member

No!

Quote Originally Posted by sparrow
    ....and I find that I have to avoid any threads where FoShizzle posted to avoid that avitar of his! Not a gripe or cry for censorship, just have to watch having that come up on the screen whilst at work, the library, a coffee shop or other public wireless hot spot, or with my wife walking by, or...... :-)

Or at least get in, read it, get out to keep the jiggly bits out of view, just so attention getting to folks that walk by. Something about the motion I suppose, but has anyone noticed how quick people zoom in on that!?
    Let the man enjoy his art

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast