mtbr member

How long till the phantom gear itch stops?

I love SS and have been riding my converted stumpjumper for about 6 months pretty much every day. Most of my riding is a moderate length commute and an hour here or there offroad (having kids limits the opportunity for the all day epics).

Anyhow I was doing a longer ride the other day and started on this long climb and the legs started to hurt a bit and without even thinking my hand came off the bar end, reached for the long gone grip-shift and started twisting. I dont remember doing this at all since I did the conversion and was really surprised that 6 months later some pain trigger in my brain tried to schange gears without me knowing it. Kind of like the phantom itches that people who have had limbs amputated get.

Anyone else have this happen?

mtbr member
    Ha! I have the opposite problem. After riding SS exclusively for the last three years, I've forgotten how to shift. I seriously don't know which levers control the front and back deraileurs.

E !

I'm backwards also

I still know how the shifters operate but i don't really shift a whole lot. I Never have a phantom itch.

Nope got nothing

I'm with you fellas...

and forget to shift when riding a geared bike. It seems like it's too much to think about as opposed to the point and shoot of a SS.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty_ss
    I love SS and have been riding my converted stumpjumper for about 6 months pretty much every day. Most of my riding is a moderate length commute and an hour here or there offroad (having kids limits the opportunity for the all day epics).

Anyhow I was doing a longer ride the other day and started on this long climb and the legs started to hurt a bit and without even thinking my hand came off the bar end, reached for the long gone grip-shift and started twisting. I dont remember doing this at all since I did the conversion and was really surprised that 6 months later some pain trigger in my brain tried to schange gears without me knowing it. Kind of like the phantom itches that people who have had limbs amputated get.

Anyone else have this happen?
    Can't out ride karma

mtbr member

"ghost shifting"

i stopped doing it after the second ride. go the other way after SSing for a while, get on a geared bike and hardly ever shift. or, get on a fixed gear bike and forget that you can't coast and get bucked over the bars. your brain will figure it out before you legs.

elbow gloves

I got a bell

to flick when I felt the phantom itch, gives a nice dingy, dingy. Agreed about the brain thing, and can totally relate to the forget you cant coast on a fixie/buck over bars ouch.

What's the Hurry?
    Quote Originally Posted by kinkcrazy
    to flick when I felt the phantom itch, gives a nice dingy, dingy. Agreed about the brain thing, and can totally relate to the forget you cant coast on a fixie/buck over bars ouch.
    I hate the panic at the end of our road, slight downhill to a "T" (stop sign) junction, when I back pressure on the pedals to slow down and realise I'm on the SS/freewheel
    What are we going to do tonight, Brain? Same thing we do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world

Recovering couch patato
    After a period where I rode more SS than geared, I found myself having trouble staying in the right gear in a race. Forgot to shift back when really I should. Tend to ride too big.
    I've had a few phantom shifts, often in the beginning of a ride.

mtbr member

i'm new too

I am new to the world of single speed as well. I converted my old rode bike and after a week of that I went home and stripped all the gears off the mountian bike and went single with that. After about a month of nothing but single speeding i went back to my expensive geared rode bike and it kicked my arse, all those gears and I had no idea which one I was supposed to be in. I finally figured it out that I am just single speed for life now.

Oh and and do get the phantom shifting every now and then but it is only on the mountian bike and it is getting less and less.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    No phantom itch here after 6 months or so dedicated SS. My thumbs sure were lonely for the first few rides, but I got over it pretty quick.

My only concern is that when I finish my new geared build (no, sadly I’m not a fulltime SS addict!) I’m going to wear out my 32 by 16 combo very quickly…

I totally turned my pedalling style upside down when I converted to SS, instead of pushing a huge gear on the flats and spinning up the climbs, I’ve been transformed into a spinner on the flats, and a pedal masher on the climbs.

It’s going to be an interesting transition jumping back onto a geared bike. Something inside me tells me it might not get much use!!

Dave.

Slave to the grind

the fixie thing is hilarious

first time i was on a fixie and itried to stand up to coast over a speed bump i was quickly reminded that homie dont play dat.. good thing nothing horrible happened.

i got the phantom thing for one ride. i get the reverse once in a while and have to remind myself to shift. but normally i just look for the sweet spot and run with it.

i think the reason why i dont get the phantom shift thing is, when i need to shift that means im already out of saddle and on my bar ends, by that time im in a lot of pain and no amount of shifting is going to make a difference
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.