mtbr member
    Nov 2009

How long do your bike parts last?

I started SS in April 2010 and have kept some maintance records and I wondered if my stuff is lasting like it should. I noticed chain stretch, some play in the bottom bracket and my tires were fairly slick, may need brake pads soon but did not replace them tonight. The mileage for the changes....front tire 2.4x29 Racing Ralph 2268, rear tire 2.2 x 29 Geax Saguero 1224 and precious changed 2.2 x 29 Racing Ralph at 1044...Truvativ GXP bottom bracket 2268....chain SRAM 850 8 speed , 675 this time, 736 time before.... 695 miles on the brakes pads right now, 718 time before. Chain ring and cog in very good shape using Surly 34T and 21T, cranks are good, headset is good but I have had to clean it out twice.

Dive Bomber
    -Chain every 3-4 weeks
    -Chainring bent in 2 weeks, haven't change it yet I don't care.
    -V-brake pads still good after 6 months
    -I use CST tires which last very good, I haven't change for 4 months and the thread is as good as new.
    -The worst is when I use BB neco, it's only last 1 week until the thread broke.

Apr 2007
    If your chain is only lasting 3-4 weeks, something's not right.

ballbuster

Unless...

Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    If your chain is only lasting 3-4 weeks, something's not right.
    he rides 500 miles a week.

I don't think I ever wore out a singlespeed chian. I usually have to change it for other reasons before I get to the wear point.

On my gearie bikes, I would get a pretty consistent 250-300 miles until I stopped cleaning it. When I stopped cleaning it, and used DuMonde Tech or Finish Line Wet chainlube, I suddenly started getting double that. I just use thin chainlube (like ProLink) to kinda rinse the chain out, rag it off, and dump thick lube on top. Works great.

The problem is if you use solvents or degreasers to clean your chain, there is no way to get all of that stuff out again. When you lube your chain, the degreasers left in there break down the chianlube, and soon you have metal to metal contact.

Dirt on your chain doesn't hurt it.

My SS has Hope Mono Mini brakes (2005 version). I tend to get around 500 miles from a set of Sintered pads. I'm still on the original rotors, which are looking pretty worn out after 2500 miles.

Tires...I tend to change them out when the edges of the knobs start getting rounded off, and I start skittering around the trail. I tend to use a lot of tires that were cast-offs from friends. I have a couple friends who are super picky about tires. They tend to buy a tire, ride it for two or three rides and in the tire pile it goes.

Wheels... I've been pretty lucky there. I don't think I have ever tweaked a rim beyond what can be trued back in line. I broke a shimano freehub once, but it had a zillion miles on it before somebody gave me the rim, so no surprise there.

The only frame related thing I ever broke was a dogbone link on my old 2003 Stumpjumper FSR-XC frame.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 03-19-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Dive Bomber
    Let see..
    I ride around 50km a day, and I goes like 5-6 days a week so it makes 250-300km.

In 4 weeks I get around 1000-1200km which is 621.371 - 745.645 miles and 60% of it is climb uphill.

And I use 1.5 bucks cheap chain LOL.

I realize that I am over training and I'll reduce to 4-5 days a week for the sake of the chain.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Um, my chains last a really long time. As in, longer than the thousand or so miles given as a rough estimate here. I do clean them and lube them weekly, but...

I can't say how long my **** lasts, really. I can rebuild my bb and my headset and usually I get my hubs rebuilt and my wheels trued about once a year. I wear through my summer tires in the course of one summer, my winter tires never seem to get particularly worn.

What else is there?

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I buy stuff to last, so things only get replaced when I want to upgrade.

I don't actually ride my bikes though so YMMV
    - Simon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspade
    In 4 weeks I get around 1000-1200km which is 621.371 - 745.645 miles and 60% of it is climb uphill.
    Hey, I'm no mathlete but how do you ride 60% uphill and end up at the same place you start? Have a pick up service? Hang glide back to your house when you're done? Burro?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by the pope
    Hey, I'm no mathlete but how do you ride 60% uphill and end up at the same place you start? Have a pick up service? Hang glide back to your house when you're done? Burro?

duh, he lives in m.c. escher's world
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Ride Responsibly
    Quote Originally Posted by the pope
    Walking the Downhills??

mtbr member

Never 5yrs, 3yrs

Chain - when it stretches greater than 1/8" in 12inches. Different brands stretch at different rates.
    RearCog - never
    Frnt ChainRing - 3yrs
    Tires - 3yrs unless I rip a side wall

BB bearings - 5yrs
    HeadSet (ChrisKing) - never
    HandleBars - never
    Stem - never
    Grips - never
    Frame 2yrs -steel frame cracked (WWorks), 2 frames
    Frame Scandium (Kona) never

I ride about 120-160 miles per month...................

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    Walking the Downhills??
    He replaces his shoes every 8 days.

Low Rep Count
    Unfortunately, I think this is a hard question for me to answer. This past year has had me frickn replacing darn near everything all in a quest of dropping weight and not so much because a part broke. I am hoping to be done with that process for a while now and just get out and ride the stupid thing. I did however manage to ride the same chain for a year as well as my seat post collar and wheels. (All have been changed out in the past month though)

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Cogs: I swap cogs a lot for different courses, so I think I've only worn out 1 in 4 years.

Chainrings: 1 or 2 a season

Chains: 2 or 3 a season

Brake pads: a couple sets a season, but I've gone through a new set to the backing in one race.

Tires: I swap a lot for different conditions so it's tough to judge. I've got a 3 year old Nevegal on the back of my bike now, but last year I went through 2 or 3 Ignitors, a Crossmark, an Aspen, and finished off 2 Conti Racekings I started the season before.

BB bearings: a couple sets a season.

Grips: 1 set a season.

I think that's it?

nothing to see here
    In 15 months, I've changed the following, due to wear and tear mostly. Not in any order. The numbers include what is on the bike currently.

3 Frames (Both cracked at the rear sliders)
    2 Wheel sets (freehub shat itself, no replacement parts available)
    5 Sets of tyres (3 x Racing Ralphs, 1 x Ignitor, 1 x Ardent)
    7 or 8 Inner tubes
    Front brakes (160mm BB5 > 185mm BB7 > 160mm BB7 > Juicy 5's)
    Rear brakes (160mm BB5 > Juicy 5's)
    5 or 6 Sets of brake pads
    2 Sets of brake cables
    2 Pairs of brake rotors
    5 Chains
    3 Chainrings (1 x 32, 2 x 33)
    4 Sets of chainring bolts
    3 Cranksets (FSA, Truvative and now Shimano SLX)
    5 Bottom brackets
    3 Rear cogs (1 x 18 & 2 x 19)
    2 Saddles (WTB something or other > Charge Ti Spoon)
    3 Sets of pedals (2 x Eggbeaters & 1 x Speedplay Frogs - *****)
    6 Sets of pedal cleats
    4 Sets of bar end plugs
    2 Headsets
    3 Stems
    3 Handlebars
    5 Pairs of bar grips
    1 Set of shortened pedal spindles

Ahh, the joys of owning one bike. I'd hate to add up the cost of all this, so I won't.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.