mtbr member
    Oct 2008

How long do you ride?

I just started riding SS a week ago. It's been tough and rewarding. Currently I'm averaging about an hour before I am completely spent. On my FS I generally would ride 2-3 hours. I understand there is a learning curve, but I'm wondering how long it will take before I can ride for a longer duration. I really want to ride with my friends again, but there is no way I could hang. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Generally about 2 hours for my max. Most rides are an hour to hour and a half. I ride alone 99% of the time so honestly, boredom gets me before fatigue.

mtbr member
    Hang in there.....It takes time for your body to adapt to the "stand and hammer" single speed riding style. It will get easier, just keep doing it....I've been doing the SS thing for about two years, I have to now stop and wait for my geared riding buddies (usually) after I charge up the hill now. My longest ride at this point....(Last Sunday) over mixed terrain was 39 miles, with about 4 hours of riding time.

I ride a steel framed bike with a carbon fork, bar and seatpost which helps ward off the fatigue during a long ride also....... Civilian Luditte SS, 23.5 lbs, 32/18 gearing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My longest ride thus far was around 33 miles and took just over 3 hours. I really had a blast and didn't even feel all that tired afterwards, though the ride back (I like to bike to the trail) was a bit of a pain with one speed.

Funny thing, this was longer than I've gone on my road bike thus far.

local trails rider
    I'm sure it depends on the terrain.
    Another thing is that too tall gearing can wear you out quickly. Maybe you could try lower gearing, at least for a while.

My usual rides are 2-3 hours, up and down small hills, with a mix of easy and somewhat rocky sections.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    My typical rides are anywhere from 15-35mi with about 100-125ft/mi of ascent. This will take me from 1.5-4hrs of riding. A regular ride for me is 20mi and 3000ft. I have done rides with 25mi/4200ft for 4hrs and 40mi/8000ft that took around 7.5hrs as well.

Don't blow up your heart rate on the first or second climb. Learn to slow down cadence to control your heart rate and you will be able to ride longer. Not every pedal stroke has to have full power behind it.

Unless you're racing, then, go all out for 1.5hrs and throw up at the finish line. But even here, you don't want to blow up on the first couple of miles.

mtbr member
    It all depends on how much time I have, sadly. Typically 2-3 hours, but I do manage to get the odd epic ride in. My longest so far has been 10hr25, 171 km and 2923 m of climbing.

But as has been said, pace yourself and make sure your gear selection works for you and the terrain you are riding.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    It all depends on how much time I have, sadly. Typically 2-3 hours, but I do manage to get the odd epic ride in. My longest so far has been 10hr25, 171 km and 2923 m of climbing.

But as has been said, pace yourself and make sure your gear selection works for you and the terrain you are riding.
    Good ride. Mine is 165km, just over 9hrs and 3819m of climbing (according to strava - which should be taken with a grain of salt). Most rides are about 1.5-2 hrs, 22km and about 800m of climbing.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Not bad yourself! That is a good amount of climbing

Was finding I was well under geared at the start, but was rather thankful for it towards the end of the ride!

nothing to see here
    Thanks. What was disconcerting about it though was on the way home I caught a mountain top view all the way to my house, which was still about 65km away. Just keep riding I said. Got home in the dark with no lights. My gearing was perfect, 32:16 on a 29er, with nothing too steep. Twice over the same mountain.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member

How long do you ride?

Hi I found put a bigger gear out back helped with riding longer on the SS.

mtbr member
    anything from 2 to 8 hours. only ever ride alone (and in fairly remote places). trail centres nearby but never fancy going to places were there loads of other bikers - i love the quiet and being surrounded by nature, natural trails all the way...

big days out are about 50 miles almost entirely off road forest singletrack and hilly/small mountain stuff, im normally destroyed after one of those.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I enjoy long rides on my SS. For me this includes some pretty crazy long days including 100 mile events.

One thing that really helps with me is that on a SS the bike, trail, and gear help me maintain my pace. Provided I am using a good gear for my fitness level things go really well and I can maintain as the day wears on. It is best to pick a gear that is slightly lower than what works for shorter days.

With geared bikes I tend to go way harder than I should early in the ride and spend the rest of the day deep in the slums of bonktown.

At least for me long single speed rides are easier than long rides on a geared bike.
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

rho
    Captain Pinchflat

Re: How long do you ride?

How long I ride depends on how much time i have! That goes for the geared bike, the single speed or the cx bike!

Sent by smoke signal.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Each week I ride one three hour, one two hour, and two 45 or 55 min rides after work. About 18 rides per month. About 3 or 4 of those rides are gear bike, the rest single speed. I had this week off, so singlespeeded first 2 rides, then was so worn out, used gear bike for some big rides around NorCal (new rides for me, a few day trips). Today I was SO beat after 8 rides in 10 days, I rode my bar bike around for the last hurrah! It's all about the fun, and I do not race, just rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've done a 4hr, 30 mile ride on the SS as my biggest ride. That was with 32/21 gearing. I switched to 32/18 at the same place and can't even hit 20 miles yet. What gears do you have on your bike? Try going a tooth or two higher in the rear and see if that extends your ride length.

Got a suspension fork
    Such an individual thing that nobody could really tell you. But if you stick with it, you will certainly improve. I went from a 29er FS to a 29er SS not quite two years ago, and I'm riding harder and longer than I ever did on the FS, so you can do it.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Thanks. What was disconcerting about it though was on the way home I caught a mountain top view all the way to my house, which was still about 65km away. Just keep riding I said. Got home in the dark with no lights. My gearing was perfect, 32:16 on a 29er, with nothing too steep. Twice over the same mountain.
    Bloody hell! 2:1 with that much climbing. Phew!

Yeah, it is somewhat demoralizing to be able to see your destination from that distance, knowing that you still have hours to go despite being able to see it juuuuuust...over....there....

mtbr member
    1-1.5 hours---3-4 miles of up and down.

Nothing to do with fatigue and everything to do with life.
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Do you think I would notice much difference going from a 33 chainring to a 32?

local trails rider
    You'd notice a small difference.
    If you are using cogs on a freehub, trying a few cheap cogs, with 1, 2, or 3 teeth more would give a much bigger difference.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Humble servant
    Longest ride for me was 22 miles in around 5 hours. But that was a few years and 40 pounds ago. Still running 34-18 and do 8 to 10 miles when I SS.
    Idiot Out Riding Around

mtbr member
    Average ride is 10-15miles over a few hours. Longest ride (easy to do since most of our fun trails connect) was upwards of 45 miles. That was a solo ride with music so i have no clue how long it took. I usually stop when i finally get hungry or it's starts getting dark. Still waiting to get good lights then i may just never stop.

psycho cyclo addict
    I typically ride 15+ miles SS with occasional 35 milers and somewhere close to 50 miles is the longest I've ridden on it.

I've been running 34x15 on my rigid steel 29er for months now (still switch up to a 17t cog on occasion for rides with more climb to them). I didn't notice a lot of difference going from 32x16 / 32x15 / 34 x 15 over ~9 months except less spinning and maybe a bit more mashing.

I'm signed up for a 33 mi race next month with ~4,300 ft. of climb. I'd probably go 18t or so if I feel up to the rigid bashing. In 90+ degree F heat with high humidity I might just break out the geared full suspension bike instead.