mtbr member

How long before I declare shenanigans on an eBay seller?

The topic in itself isn't SS, but the parts I bought are for a SS I'm working on.

I'm a ebay novice with 2 successful purchases thus far. June 30 I won an auction for some cantilever brakes in Illinois, I'm in the Detroit area. July 7 no merchandise had arrived so I send a very polite email requesting the status of the items I won; no response. July 8 I email through the eBay site ("ask seller a question") just in case his paypal info may be incorrect and still no response. Like I said, the merchandise is in IL and I'm ~5 hrs. away, it shouldn't take over a week to ship (despite the holiday). The seller has an excellent rating; 350+ positive reviews, 1 mediocre review.

Is there a "grace period" that I should observe before getting nasty? After 11 days of not getting what I paid for (promptly mind you, within 3 hrs. of the auction ending) and no communication, I'm getting a little antsy and wondering if I need to be contacting ebay, paypal and my CC company. Fortunately it's only for $25.

If anyone has any advise or rules of thumb I should follow, I'm all ears! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Simma

Quote Originally Posted by zanq
    The topic in itself isn't SS, but the parts I bought are for a SS I'm working on.

I'm a ebay novice with 2 successful purchases thus far. June 30 I won an auction for some cantilever brakes in Illinois, I'm in the Detroit area. July 7 no merchandise had arrived so I send a very polite email requesting the status of the items I won; no response. July 8 I email through the eBay site ("ask seller a question") just in case his paypal info may be incorrect and still no response. Like I said, the merchandise is in IL and I'm ~5 hrs. away, it shouldn't take over a week to ship (despite the holiday). The seller has an excellent rating; 350+ positive reviews, 1 mediocre review.

Is there a "grace period" that I should observe before getting nasty? After 11 days of not getting what I paid for (promptly mind you, within 3 hrs. of the auction ending) and no communication, I'm getting a little antsy and wondering if I need to be contacting ebay, paypal and my CC company. Fortunately it's only for $25.

If anyone has any advise or rules of thumb I should follow, I'm all ears! Thanks!

I'd give it at least 3 weeks before getting even mildly excited.

Misfit Psycles
    i sell and buy on ebay and try to communicate immediately just to acknowledge the purchase (or sale). if your emails are not responded to i say you are well within your rights to contact the seller directly.

use another medium (other than email) before you get too excited. bloody email filters, spam assasins and anti virus get me (coming and going frequently), he/she may not be seeing your emails. are you sure that their responses are not being blocked by your filter?

if the auction does not contain a telephone number you can request that information. go to the search box and click on 'advanced search'. you can input the item # and user name, shortly after ebay will email you their phone number. if they blow you off that way you may wish to advise ebay...with 350+ feedback there has to be something else going on.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well same here!

Quote Originally Posted by zanq

i won an item on June 30 and have yet to see it. the guy has a 100% feedback, but sometimes, things just happen. i've been buying on E-bay for quite some time and so far, has been a great experience (with one exception). there were times i've waited for an item for over 3 weeks. like my brother said "be patient and give some sellers at least 3-4 weeks - sometimes, that's just the way it works". there was a time when a seller actually quoted the wrong shipping price and was trying to see if he can mail it for a cheaper price without charging me/buyer more, didn't work for him, though, and had to swallow the whole shipping price. i know i like to pay as soon as the bidding ends and when i win the item and would like to be treated with the same quickness when shipping my merchandise, but...it just doesn't happen sometimes.

so, my advise to you is to chill for another week or two. i know the excitement of getting that new part for your bike, but it should arrive soon. be , be patient, maybe e-mail the seller inquiring about the status of the item won. he's got a good feedback for a reason and if one is a serious ebayer, they normally don't want to tarnish their reputation, whether a seller or a buyer. hang in there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Double check that your payment was accepted

Check your PayPal account and see if the seller accepted your payment($).
    Sir Dabs-alot

Harrumph
    To pirate this somewhat, I Ebay'd a Zoch Marathon SL on May 12th. The photo in the listing didn't show the left top cap or mention the air adapter. Another bidder asked if the top cap and adapter would be included and the seller replied that they would. I bid pretty hard core and paid a bit more than I wanted to on an 04 based on that information. Well, the adapter and top cap were not shipped with the fork. I e-mailed the seller and he said he apologized for forgetting to put them in the box, and he would mail them out that day. Well more than a week later, being pissed I haven't been able to tune my fork, I e-mail the seller again to see what's up. He said he hadn't had a chance because he just moved. Ok, I've been there so I was understanding. A few weeks later, still nothing. The excuse this time was a family member died. OK, if that's true I can let that go too, just get me the parts. I even said I can live without the top cap, but I really need the adapter. A few weeks later he e-mails me saying he couldn't find them so he had a shop order them and he mailed them yesterday with an extra fork pump for my trouble. I have 3 damn fork pumps anyway, but great. In the next week I get the package and it has a bag with an air adapter(looks kinda like the right thing)/needle that you can buy at WalMart, a top cap for a SID schrader valve, a top cap that looks like the one on my Manitou Mach 5, and a roughed up pump. I emailed the seller again saying I need the right parts or some money back or I'm leaving bad feed back, and have yet to get a response. The guy has 250+ sales with no bad feedback so I don't want to give him bad feed back without giving him a chance, but it's been two months.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses! It appears I was a little hasty, the brakes showed up on Sat., but in my defense, the seller STILL has not responded to my emails and the item didn't ship until July 7 (the same day I emailed asking for its status......coincidence???)

I'm not sure what to think about the 3+ week time frame that seems to be the rule of thumb. If a seller wants payment within 2-3 days (as many of them seem to want), I don't think it's unreasonable to have the item shipped within a week of the auction ending. I guess that's just my opinion. I would be going out of my skull if it ended up being 3 weeks with no merchandise, without or with communication.

As for G-reg, if the guy has left feedback for you already I would go ahead and rip him with the feedback you give. He knew he was moving yet started an auction and didn't keep the gear straight??? Essentially it's false advertising and misrepresenting what he was selling.