Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

How to handle future SSWC Registrations

OK people, lots of people expressed dismay about registering for the last few SSWC races. How about people presenting alternatives without moaning? Here is mine:

First reserve spots for the locals involved in getting the event ready. Then reserve spots for pro types, people that won previous SSWC races, people that won various National or regional SS championships, people that organized previous SSWC races (not just sitting at a intersection directing racers or picking up kegs of beer), infamous characters (ex. Jacquie Phelan) and then have a registration lottery for the rest. Allow registration to be open for a period, say one week, and then randomly select from that pool the people to get slots. This will eliminate the click speed and time zone as part of the equation.

One problem I see, jackballs will register 100 times to try to increase their chances of being picked. Could be eliminated by requiring registration to be with your real name, so duplicates can be deleted. You would then have to show ID to pick up your packet which some might consider so evil, but F those people. Any name on the list without a matching passport of driver's license will be eliminated and the spot given to somebody on the waiting list.

aka baycat
    slow day 'huh?

My suggestion is probably the most efficient.

How Many Five Year Olds Could You Take in a Fight?

* You are in an enclosed area roughly the size of a basketball court
    * There are no weapons or foreign objects
    * Everyone is wearing a cup (so no kicks to the groin)
    * The children are merciless and will show no fear
    * If a child is knocked unconscious, he is "out." The same goes for you.

Each entrant has to take out at minimum 18 children to gain entrance to SSWC

Here is an online survey to assess your skills before the contest:
    http://www.howmanyfiveyearoldscouldyoutakeinafight.com/

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005
    don't build a website or offer registration over the internet... that'll cull the herd pretty quick.

don't accept any registrants from albequerque, new mexico...

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    What about regional deciders to decide who gets to go from each region. 50 from N. America, 50 From Europe, 50 From Mars. yadda yadda

Not races... Deciders...

What a horrible idea...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Lotto style!! Have a paypal account, each person sends in 1 dollar. Cut it of at 800 people. Send the people there number, and then pick. First 400 people get in. who cares if there is pro or past champions, no spots should be reserved.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Non-refundable registration fee. If you get in, your race fee is covered. If you don't, you are SOL.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    personally....it think it should be decided by regional competition/obstacle course involving lawn darts, slip and slide, a trampoline.....and who can get the best jump using an Evel Knievel stunt cycle.......pfft...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Have a whining competition.

Disqualify anyone who enters it.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Only if it's an original era Evel, no repro's, and it's got to be your own personal Evel, bike and launcher. bonus points if you have a scramble van, or one of the off shoot uniform colors of blue or red.

=========
    gahhhh!
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MtotheF
    don't build a website or offer registration over the internet... that'll cull the herd pretty quick.

don't accept any registrants from albequerque, new mexico...

You're gonna make me cry, Mike.

Stop it.

graps the nettle
    Aug 2005

no way, man...

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Speeder
    You're gonna make me cry, Mike.

Stop it.
    you're supposed to be made from cactus spines and sun baked leather. tougher than an old boot. faster than ned overend's mole.

i'd be surprised if you even have tear ducts, let alone feelings. you're too tough for that stuff...

Singlespeeds are so 2004
    Dec 2006
    If it was me I'd advertise an entry time online, then send a declined entry email to everyone, then start a thread on MTBR and then only register people who didn't whine ;0)

Sweep the leg!
    How about.... oh never mind. I wouldn't get in that way either. Or, um, nope, that's a dead end too. Ummmm, I got nothing here. Oh wait, I'll sneak up behind Russell as he's heading to the airport and mug him. We ride the same size bike and I'm almost a ringer for him anyway so I could easily slip by TSA. And if I could bribe Coop to drop me off they'll really be confused knowing he's not Russell and so I must be. Then I'd be in! Yeah, that's the ticket! How many days 'til SSWC for me to hone my mugging technique? Sweet.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MtotheF
    you're supposed to be made from cactus spines and sun baked leather. tougher than an old boot. faster than ned overend's mole.

i'd be surprised if you even have tear ducts, let alone feelings. you're too tough for that stuff...
    C'mon, can't you see how I was totally stoked to race against the best, and I had the rug pulled out from under me?

Thus all of the online chest puffing ********....

banned

what to do

Charge $200 or $250 per person like major triathlon events. That way you only get qualified racers and raise the average participant age to 45.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    How about.... oh never mind. I wouldn't get in that way either. Or, um, nope, that's a dead end too. Ummmm, I got nothing here. Oh wait, I'll sneak up behind Russell as he's heading to the airport and mug him. We ride the same size bike and I'm almost a ringer for him anyway so I could easily slip by TSA. And if I could bribe Coop to drop me off they'll really be confused knowing he's not Russell and so I must be. Then I'd be in! Yeah, that's the ticket! How many days 'til SSWC for me to hone my mugging technique? Sweet.
    Your missing the fact that Russell is most likely on the Governments "No Fly" list. He most likely is also banned from Amtrak & Greyhound. If he's not he should be.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the serious replies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853
    Thanks for all the serious replies
    You were expecting "serious" in the SS forum? Maybe RbR, but half the folks here are probably on their 4th+ beer when they post. I GOTTA CATCH UP!!!

mtbr member
    1. Let the organizers do whatever they want.

2. During the festivities, let the participants and spectators somehow pick the organizers for the following year.

3. Repeat

Things I have learned about this event over the past 1.5 years:
    - Not an official/Norba/UCI/whatever race
    - Pretty much follows SS rules (i.e. none)
    - Way better than 99% of the races/events out there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It should be first come first serve with no reserved seating.
    Last edited by 1speed; 01-12-2008 at 05:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed
    It should be first come first serve with no reserved seating.
    That's ok for a purely local event.

This is a World event and many of the participants have to spend several thousand dollars to get there from all corners of the globe. Before I spend that sort of money I want to know I've got a ride because I'm not interested in watching (in any sport).

It might work if it was for an allocation of places for local riders.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

is buachail foighneach me
    get everyone interested in a big area. etch each of their names on a nickle. hand out the nickles. make them swallow the nickles. first 350 to shlit out and retrieve their nickles are in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Lottery

Costs $1 to register to cover costs. Set-up a web site to accept entries, each person entering gets a sequential number in the database. When it's closed generate the number of random numbers you need, merge and purge with the database of entries and you're done.

But that might be way too logical and fair for a singlespeed event.

is buachail foighneach me
    you guys are all coming up with great ways to sort out who get's into a really large-demand ss event, but these are called the "world chamionships". in all seriousness, if you're gonna call them that, there needs to be some sort of qualification procedure. if that means guaranteed entry/reserved slots for people that have done well in certain other ss events throughout the year then so be it. sh!tting nickles would clearly be the best way to sort out the other entries though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast