mtbr member
    Dec 2016

How far will i get with the derailleur hack?

Today i made a bold move and had my 7 speed specialized expedition turned to a single speed by taking off the 12-34 cassette and putting a single freewheel cog 18t on the back. The bike shop mechanic fixed the derailleur to act a tensioner and put the high and low limiter screws all the way in so that it wouldnt move side to side.

He had to put on a PC- 1 single speed chain since it skipped with the 8 speed chain.

Now it seems to fit inside the derailleur so that part shouldn't hopefully be a problem.

The reason i did it was because the smaller cogs like 18 and 16 have problems when pedeling extremely fast and/or over bumpy ground.

The chain just is not as snug as i would like it and has fallen off a few times.

He test rode it and hopefully it will work for me.

If i convert back to gears it will be fairly expensive since a lot of parts were removed.

So i hope that the derailleur hack will be ok in the long run.

I was wearing through the pc 830s and 850s pretty quick. Had it stretched to the middle point in a month.

always preferred single speeds, but wanted an upright comfort bike and couldn't pay 200 or 300$ more and am not sure if i could have found a SS cruiser big enough.

is the derailleur as a tensioner only good for a temporary fix?.

probably the biggest issue was going to be whether or not the thicker chain would fit through it.

I maybe could have always used pliars to open it up a little more.

did i really get away with the one of the cheapest most effective way to go SS?.

i know it probably still won't be as direct and responsive of power as a dedicated frame or a different tensioner.

Even a short cage derailleur might be better at some point than using a longer cage one.

It,s a tourney derailleur so im probably better off using that in case it doesn't last.

I still like the jockey wheels, especially the top one which should help with the chainwrap.

But it should last at least for some time i expect.

its kicked out fairly straight so that will keep it out of the way from striking rocks and other hazards.

mtbr member
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Depends on the chain tension. You want the derailleur to be really stretched out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Funny thing is i didn't think of how hard will it possibly be to get the wheel off if i need to 😓

Would i have to loosen the derailleur to get the chain off?.

mtbr member
    You could lift the chain off the chainring to loosen it.

A spring-loaded tensioer is a pretty darn cheap solution that will work better. Just buy one of those.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky